Legal Requirements for Air Bnb Rental in the United Kingdom

Legal Requirements for Air Bnb Rental in the United Kingdom

It is a Legal Requirement for all short term lets in the United Kingdom to have an annual gas safety test that passes , also it is required that you have an Electrical Installation Condition Report every 5 years this has been since July 2021 . It also a requirement since 1st of October 2023 to have a fire risk assessment inside your rental accommodation and a 2nd fire risk assessment for the communal area aswell if your property is an apartment . All of these tests are a criminal offence if you dont have passed certificates and you will end up in a Magistrates or crown court if you do not comply with the law . 

Other Annual Electrical testing is Fire/smoke alarm tests , Emergency Lighting Tests and Portable appliance testrs all which also must have passed certificates

**[Sensitive information removed in line with the Community Center Guidelines]

23 Replies 23

@Mike3278 I have a risk assessment thank you. It was done in full compliance with the government guidance

Lets hope your assessor did it from your Fire Strategy Plan for your building then or the retrospective version , Government rules change all the time ,  especially since Grenfell . But if you did it yourself you will have missed everything important . If you dont haver a Fire / Smoke Alarm Electrical Certificate carried out every year by an Electrician you are breaking the law , the monthly test you do to test the alarms is only for your log book , you are not qualified to test the system . Your incompetence is boring me . 

Lets also take note that the Health and Safety Executive took over Building Control in every Council in the Country Last April and every building control officer employed or in the private sector has to prove there worth by taking cabe exams by this april to enforce the building safety act 2022 down to the finest point which includes everything i have mentioned to you . If you are found with out all a prohibition notice from the council can be placed on you and your property to stop you from trading until you meet the standards , is what i have said sinking in yet , obviously not .

i am not advertising anything just advising you where you stand best not to argue with me i have been an engineer for 44 years and i know my job , you are wrong  iam right tell thge magistrate your view 

@Mike3278 As per my post above - Your smoke alarm advice is dangerously wrong as well. If you encourage people to only test them yearly then the poor folks who listen to could end up in deep water.

People who own Houses to rent out are obviously not poor just skanks who want to take £40,000 pounds a year in rent and put nothing back in to maintenance or duty of care for tenants or guests the law changed now you have to do it or be prosecured  . Oh Dear

@Mike3278 Labelling hosts as skanks (whatever that means) is unlikely to win you a lot of business.

There are good and bad in everything , if you want to keep arguing that youb dont want to pay for peoples safety but just want there money then people will make there own conclusions , but unfortunately from your part the law says you now carry have to carry out all annual testing  as it is now a criminal offence for you not to do so . Skanks are people who just want the money and nothing for tenants and guests safety - dangerous peoople that should not be in this industry , i meet them all the time when working . 

Sleeping Accommodation such as Hotels and short term rentals are most rigouresly enforced buildings , as you are resonsible for peoples safety 24 hours a day , and if you breach the rules or do not make sure you have done everything necessary , it also has the highest punishment through the courts .