National Insurance number

Carmen802
Level 3
London, United Kingdom

National Insurance number

Hiya community,

I have recently been asked for my national insurance number from airbnb. I asked what this is for as they are not my employer; they have been unable to tell me to date. Can anyone shed some light on the matter please? I imagine, if I do not give it, I will not get bookings but I feel they shouldn't least explain what they are going to do with my number.

21 Replies 21
Carmen802
Level 3
London, United Kingdom

@Helen3 Hiya Helen, I oh my UK tax office & they have no idea why airbnb want my personal NI number. Do you have a link to the regulations-I am not finding it in my searches.  Thanks in advance.

Damilola12
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

Please, will the amount airbnb collect from guests count as part of the gross income where I have to pay tax.

On my dashboard, I can only see my gross earning as what I have earned so far from airbnb, not including their own share. 

Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Damilola12 Yes Airbnb will show gross earnings and may also include cancelled stays in their figure. Assuming you fill in a tax return you can put down the airbnb fees etc in your expenses column.

Josie206
Level 2
Matlock, United Kingdom

Do they have to share information with the tax office. Like vinted and ebay do. So the. they can make sure you are filing a tax return. Airbnb is American based Co pay maybe it's something about their regulations also. Not sure but a guess from me.

Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Josie206 It is English law that requires Airbnb to supply earnings to HMRC.

Don't know for sure it's just a guess from me.

Same issue and Airbnb are refusing to communicate with me now which is not helpful with guests due to arrive soon.

The UK Government Website makes clear you should not share your NI Number with anyone who does not need it.

https://www.gov.uk/national-insurance/your-national-insurance-number

I also rang HMRC (0300 200 3310) they advised me that unless Airbnb are making NI & Pension contributions for you, they do not need your NI number.  They confirmed that self-assessment submission is more than adequate and the correct process (as is the case).

When I objected to providing the NI number (they also want your property title number!) after many, many emails I received an email from Airbnb stating:

Since you are a Host you are basically running a business with Airbnb as your platform. And it is because you are a Host and running a business, you are liable to incur certain taxes that local regulations would demand of you. Airbnb simply requests this information in order to help you with remitting your taxes for you, saving you an ample amount of leg work.

However, your security is equally, if not more important to us; so of course, adding your tax information is solely at your discretion.

But the above email was then superceded by sending the following email:

Avoid a pause in your payouts

In order to comply with tax reporting laws, we’re required to collect tax info from Hosts based in the United Kingdom, or who have a listing there.

I have, on numerous occasions asked Airbnb to clarify what specific laws they are referring to – they have not provided me with this information to date.

I have bookings and have advised next guest there is a problem, I can’t provide accommodation if I am not going to get paid for it.  Until Airbnb confirm they will NOT withhold payment I can’t provide entry details.  They have contacted Airbnb who told them to tell me to contact them – so far they have ignored 9 messages from me since Monday so it appears the guest will be travelling to property they won’t be able to access.

It’s a shambolic mess and I have no idea how to resolve the issue.  Feel awful for guests but my contract is with Airbnb not them so not really my problem. 

Seems to me they are bullying hosts for information they are not entitled to.