New to ABB I am not getting a lot of inquiries, I need an impartial review??

New to ABB I am not getting a lot of inquiries, I need an impartial review??

Home is in NY.  Anyone care to give me an opinion??  

**[Sensitive information removed in line with the Community Center Guidelines]

5 Replies 5

@Thomas2678  This is the link to your listing: https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/46371456

It's unsafe and unnecessary to put your email and home address on here.

Check out the special board New To Hosting for more tips and listing critiques.

Your listing is a beautiful house with lots of character, and some uncommon features such as a pool table that should make the home a really comfortable retreat for guests. I'd move the picture of the pond (img 3) further down the queue, as it's not one of the selling features. 

You need to complete the written descriptions - under "The Space," you should describe the layout of the house, rooms, and amenities available to the guests. A completed profile with a face picture inspires more trust; there are a lot of scam listings out there, so people are wariest of new ones with few reviews.

The 5-night minimum makes some sense given the size of your place; you clearly need to avoid 1-2 night bookings to weed out parties. But it's also keeping you out of those 3 and 4 night searches that are more popular with city dwellers looking for a break in the countryside. You might get more interest by lowering the minimum stay for the coming month or so, to attract more spontaneous planners (who don't tend to have much vacation leave to spare) and build up your base of reviews. A Cleaning Fee can act as a short stay supplement and help offset the changeover costs.

Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Thomas2678 Do you block a day for cleaning between guests? If not your 1pm check out time will be an issue as it conflicts with your 1pm check in time.

Also your March pricing is the same as your August pricing. I don't know when your high season is but this feels wrong. Have you searched for other properties in your area to see if you are competitive?

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Thomas2678   In addition to the comments above, you advertise for 10 guests, but your kitchen table only seats 6. Is there another table somewhere or just the bar seating?  Also, rearrange the living room -- it looks really unfriendly with the couch and chairs all lined up against the outside of the room -- yes, that may be the way that you use the space, but try two seating area arrangements.  It looks like you may have room in front of the fireplace for a cozy 2 rocker setup.

What is going on with the air conditioner on the floor?  Also, all of your beds appear to be made up with cast-off linens and blankets -- none of which appear to be new and fresh, especially the one bed that has a cover that is very skimpy.   More nightstands!  Bedside reading lamps!  Once you have the budget, get rid of the old TVs and get some flatscreens.  

You are on the right track ... but you need to give some thought to value for the money that your guests are going to be expecting.  IKEA has quality duvets, inserts and linens at decent prices, so you can still be creative in the selection and have some cohesive color schemes without breaking the bank -- take a good look at your competition, and try to get close.  Good luck!

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Thomas2678  I agree with Lorna on a lot of her points.

I would not be drawn to book your place because it looks incredibly cluttered to me- every surface and shelf is covered solid with knicknacks and who knows what. Get rid of that stuff on top of the fridge.  Do you actually clean and dust all that stuff on the shelves? If that is your own stuff because you use the place yourself, pack it all away in some totes that you lock up somewhere and only leave a few attractive items on the shelves. 

No bedside tables, no  reading lamps.

Mismatched bedding in a bedroom looks tacky. Both beds in a room should be made up the same.

And I think 10 guests in a 2 bathroom place is pushing it. I'd cut the max down to 8, and make sure there is dining and living room seating that comfortably accommodates that many.

There is a LOT of competition in your area:  IMO, you are Overpriced. 

Charge a reasonable fee for "up to 4" then a reasonable upcharge for additional people. 

https://www.airbnb.com/s/West-Kill--New-York--United-States/homes?flexible_trip_lengths%5B%5D=weeken...

If you are hoping for the "Hunter Ski Traffic" then you are also competing against all these: 
https://www.airbnb.com/s/West-Kill--New-York--United-States/homes?flexible_trip_lengths%5B%5D=weeken...

Re-Arrange Photos!  Have ONE good outside shot, then have your Very Best Inside Shots, one after the other.  Make it EASY for a prospective guest to say "Gosh that looks nice".  Marketing 101. 

At most 2 TVs - one in LR.  And maybe one more in master BR.  People bring their own entertainment anyway. 

And yeah - the bed linens look cheap and mis-matched.  With so many other choices out there for less money, you need to re-evaluate your positioning.