Please tell me about the 90 days rule.

Answered!
Masashi15
Level 1
Tenterfield, Australia

Please tell me about the 90 days rule.

Hello All,

I have been trying to buy a property in QLD Australia to become an Airbnb host.

While researching to be a host , I have found 90 days rule.

I'm still bit confused about 90 rules so I would like to ask you about it.

Please tell me if my understanding is correct.

a) The hosts are only allowed to provide their property to the guests 90 days per year. it means my unit for the Airbnb will be empty for 275 days in a year.

b) If above is correct we can only make 90 days of income that is very low compering with long term rent.

c) If my unit hits 90 days, the Airbnb will automatically stop listing my property.

If someone can help me that would be great!!

Thank you 

1 Best Answer
Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

The 90-day rule certainly didn't come from Airbnb, unfortunately they have to follow the ~controls~ (and self interest) of the local yokels that came up with this rule.  If you address your local government entity you will surely get some interesting answers.

View Best Answer in original post

5 Replies 5
Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

The 90-day rule certainly didn't come from Airbnb, unfortunately they have to follow the ~controls~ (and self interest) of the local yokels that came up with this rule.  If you address your local government entity you will surely get some interesting answers.

@Masashi15 I think it would depend where in Queensland you are speaking of . Queensland is a massive state and varies from major beachfront to wild rainforest etcetera. There are many local councils and each have different rules and regulations , some apply to Airbnb , but it is important to ask about only the council you have your home in . If this is purely speculation on your part then it probably does not even apply in your prefferred region, if it applies in the Gold Coast as you have previously pointed out , then this is an extremely expensive high turnover region and I imagine has been put in place by lobbying by local residents to maintain some amenity to the region outside the high season ,which is extremely lucrative and is probably calculated to provide most of your income for the rest of the year. People do not go to the beach all year around for swimming so logically a high and low season exists.... H

Thank you for your reply. @Helen744 

Sorry I should have mentioned where my property will be.

It will be in Brisbane city.

When I search about the hosting an Airbnb on the internet, there always 90 days rule comes up for some reason so I just wanted to make sure about it.

If I can only receive my Airbnb income for 90 days in one year , I would look for long term rental instead of doing Airbnb.

Masashi15
Level 1
Tenterfield, Australia

Thank you for your response.

I will contact local council today.

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Masashi15 5 minutes on Google suggests that the definition of short term rental is a rental that is less than 90 days. To do this (if it is possible) means you need to jump through lots of hoops unless you are living in the property yourself.