Purchase of property

Purchase of property

Having just purchased a property which has been an Airbnb for the last 12 months, I’m wanting to continue with the listing snd take over bookings that are in place throughout the coming months.  I realise that I will need to set up my own account etc and the previous owner is very much wanting to help with the change of ownership. The Host will be staying the same.  All upcoming bookings have been advised of new ownership and given the option to cancel but all are happy with the changeover. Has anyone else been in a similar situation and if so what do I need to do   Thanks for any advice.  

9 Replies 9
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Lynda429 How can the host be staying the same if you have purchased the property? And if they are why not just continue with their listing?

the ex-owner of the property employed a 'host' to manage/clean on his behalf but he holds the airbnb account and therefore he gets paid.  He has sold to me but the 'host' wants to stay on which suits me as Im not local to the property

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

You really need the listing in your name not in the name of the person who is cohosting the listing for the previous  owner @Lynda429 

in that way you have full control over the listing and the reviews and ratings are attributed to you

thanks Helen, we are trying to sort this.  The 'owner' of the account is very unwell so the host is trying to get the log in details from her, we can then hopefully get it all transferred.  I thought Id read somewhere that an account cannot be 'transferred' only shut down and restarted and if that was the case we would lose the reviews and pictures etc.  Ill hopefully know a bit more by tonight and Ill post my findings  thanks so much for your help 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

You can't transfer a listing from one host to another -  the owner of the property should have told you this @Lynda429 

as mentioned in my earlier post you need to set up the listing in your name and add any cohost whose helping you manage things locally as your cohost. 

what arrangements did you make with the owner for any existing bookings they may have . You will need to block out any dates in the calendar of your new listing for when they have bookings . 

to avoid confusion the person who helps you with bookings is a cohost not a host. 

the owner is the host .

the cohost who is managing things locally should know you can't transfer bookings . 

Thanks Helen. Seems many things not ok.  The ex owner of the property let it out in Airbnb and has a ‘host’ running everything.  The listing is in her name as the host.  She tells me she only has accesss to the calendar and answers messages. She said the ex owner of the house has the log in not her.   I was told at the time of purchase thst the Airbnb could be transferred over and clearly this is not the case.  It looks like I’ll have to close the acc down and set up new which is a shame as bookings in place for 2 weeks time.  Not sure why current ‘host (who may be the account owner’ cannot give us the necessary details especially as she is wanting to stay on snd sort the house.  Things just don’t seem to add up but thanks so much for your info which has been a great help. I didn’t know the host was the owner etc. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

The cohost (what you call the host) is not being honest with you. She will have the log in details . @Lynda429 

Quite honestly in your situation I would find my own local cohost who is an experienced superhost through your local host group on F B and set up the new listing with their help. 

what you need to figure out is whether the previous owner/cohost has accepted bookings at your property now it's under your ownership and what you do about this. 

do read the information on the Airbnb Help website about cohosting so you understand the role of cohosts on Airbnb

You have to start over from scratch, probably. I would call Airbnb about this and ask for advice.

Thankyou