Railroad tracks

Mike-And-Amy3
Level 2
Litchfield, IL

Railroad tracks

I’m considering opening an Airbnb right beside a railroad track. Anybody have experience on whether this will be a good idea or not? Is it good enough to clearly mark this info in the listing? Will people still complain? Thanks to all for feedback 

4 Replies 4
Till-and-Jutta0
Host Advisory Board Alumni
Stuttgart, Germany

"Guests don't read" => Add a clear picture of this special situation to avoid disappointment.

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

I would imagine there may be advantages to the location besides the disadvantage of being close to the railroad tracks for you to consider locating a short term rental there.  Also, it is not clear what are the disadvantages besides noise.  But as suggested by @Till-and-Jutta0 , you definitely want to make it very clear about the location including pictures and when someone inquiries or books, you should include that the guest understands the location limits.  Otherwise, you will just get unhappy guests and poor reviews.  Good luck.

Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

@Mike-And-Amy3 , I stayed with a host in the city whose place was beside the tracks. Trains went by a few times a day. No big deal, I thought, and he was very clear about it in his description. He still got bad reviews (not from me -- the place was great!) and he was at his wits' end. He was considering something like "If trains bother you, please book elsewhere!" as his opening line. I don't know whether he did that. 

So, yes, people will complain about the trains. 

Is there a way to turn it around, though? My host had only boring commuter trains going by. Does your track have the sorts of trains in which trainspotters are interested? 

"Love trains! This is the spot for you!" You will still want to follow up with a warning about the trains, but maybe make it a feature?

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

@Mike-And-Amy3  you need to make it REALLY clear that its by the tracks. I would even name it "Railroad Respite" or "Locomotive Lodge" so that guests understand what they are getting. You might have fun making it a train theme 🙂  Turn a negative into a positive. 

I have seen and stayed in places where the train goes by. It doesn't bother me-- I love the sound of a train whistle. But some guests will definitely pass on this sort of accommodation.