Random charge that looks like preauthorization

Jeremy564
Level 2
Daly City, CA

Random charge that looks like preauthorization

I checked my bank account and noticed 2 charges of less than $1 to Airbnb that look like preauthorization charges. I haven't logged into Airbnb in over a year before logging in to check this, either.

Should I be concerned about this? I preemptively removed my card information from my account and changed my password as well as locked my card through my bank, but I can't help but feel worried.

1 Reply 1
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Jeremy564  As a host, Airbnb sends an amount like that to hosts' accounts when they first set up their listings to make sure the payment path works, but I don't know why they would charge an amount like that to a guest. 

It's probably a good idea anyway to remove your card info from the site if you aren't in the process of booking or staying at an Airbnb. I had a guest who told me she always does that, since her account had gotten hacked a couple years previous.

You should ask Airbnb about this, but currently their customer service is incredibly slow. But you could send them a message through their Twitter account. You might also want to change your account password, just to be on the safe side.