Safety check / certification?

Amy2092
Level 2
Kampala, Uganda

Safety check / certification?

Does anyone know if it's possible (and affordable) to get some sort of safety check for a listing? 

I know I can get fire and CO2 checks, but what about slip and fall, and other hazards? I'm reading articles about how hotels have to go through safety checks (are fire exits labeled, etc) but who does those checks and can an Airbnb have it done?

We have kids, so our house is full of kid friendly stuff, so we are listing as family friendly. But now I'm losing sleep over whether baby gates installed on stairs (steep, old stairs), signs to watch your head for adults going to basement etc are enough. Our house is 1902 build, so while it is updated and all some things are what they are... I'm worried I'm not thinking about things I should do.. and thinking it would be nice to call a contractor like our home inspection company when we purchased but specifically to find any and all possible injury or health risks to help us reduce potential liability...

Amy B
4 Replies 4
Hello6
Level 10
Canary Islands, Spain

Hi Amy,

Have you contacted your insurance agent for your home and secondary renters (required for Airbnbs policy to work)?  Your insurance company should be able to provide information and in some cases a home inspection.  Also, your local Fire Department (even the department nearest to your home) should have a competent Captain that can assist you to find the local government inspector if it is not tasked to the Fire Department.  You can also speak to an Accredited Architect Firm who should as well be able to place you in contact with an Inspector / Inspection.  Final possiblity is speak with your bank - if you have a mortgage - for inspection options.

For our home we have had first the bank inspection, then the insurance inspection and finally a home inspection by a qualified building contractor (found through an Architect).  We opted to not to invite a government inspection / inspector ( Fire Department or City Official) as we were happy with the previous mentioned inspections and a government inspection would have been in Spanish and very difficult to organize.  As we are currently a private residenceand live in the property we do not require the government certificate or inspection regime that a hotel would.  Great that your taking these steps and that Airbnb provides a solid checklist such as CO2 detection etc for hosts to consider and implement.  Maybe one day Airbnb will be able to provide the home inspection option as similar to their Professional Photography Lists and Bookings.  Good Luck Amy.

@Hello6 , thanks very much for these ideas! We don’t have a mortgage, so don’t have a bank, the fire dept I’ve called but they do just fire and CO2 inour area. Architect firm is a great idea. We’ve got fire and CO2 covered, just want to do another check on slip and fall and all. At our primary residence (not rented out) we just TODAY had some kids shooting hoops at our basketball board and the entire board FELL OFF. It likely would have killed a kid had they been under it. Nobody got hurt, but we had zero idea that the support boards had rotted. ACK. Before today I was feeling even a little paranoid to post this question, but now I’m even more worried and wanting to get someone to check the things I wouldn’t have even thought of (like the basketball hoop - never would have thought it was a risk.. .it was way too high for anyone to reach it, so it wasn’t that some kid grabbed the rim, it just fell off through normal use from 7 year olds!)

I’ll try our insurance company, also. Thanks again.

Amy B

Hello 6, you indicated in your reply about talking to Amy’s insurance agent and that you should have home and secondary renters insurance for Airbnb’s policy to work. I have a couple questions. I spoke to my insurance company when I purchased the home in June asking them about short term rentals. They indicated i was allowed one month a year under my home insurance policy for short term rentals . I’m not sure what I need after the month. I will call and ask my insurance but don’t want to flag something that hasn’t happened yet.  I’m not clear on your statement “ that you need secondary rental insurance for  Airbnb policies to work” when Airbnb provides host insurance etc. Please explain your understanding of insurance and Airbnb policies?
Thank you in advance. 

Hello6
Level 10
Canary Islands, Spain

Hi Lori, @Amy2092 @Lori2516 ;

I am not a lawyer.  We do know that for Spain and possibly the EU and from the last time we went through the Airbnb insurance policy that there was a print message to the effect that hosts are required to have secondary renters insurance polices for their homes for the Airbnb policy to be valid.  This may have changed under the newest roleout off Airbnbs Air Cover.

Correct, never pay more then you need too.  Best is contact the Airbnb support for your country (Canada?) and ask them directly. Good Luck Lori.  And same for you Amy - always good to get an architects advice if you can afford it and a certified home inspection.  Ask your neighbors as well.  Neighbors can be the best local resource in many cases for who what when where and for help with projects too 🙂 Good Luck to you both. Let me know how it goes.