Should ABB do more to incentivize hosts?

Answered!
Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

Should ABB do more to incentivize hosts?

I had this discussion with a friend who is considering hosting.

She asked "what do you get?" meaning what does ABB do to incentivise hosts to  begin/keep on. And I couldn't think of much. A $100 gift certificate for super hosts once a year? Maybe a photo shoot (that seems to be off and on?) Obviously we get paid to host, but more and more I debate whether it is worthwhile. 

Do you think ABB should do more to reward or incentivise hosts? 

If so, what would be worthwhile to you?

1 Best Answer
Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Personally,  would like to see more emphasis put in a few things, in the future.

1. More education of hosts as to the do's and don'ts of hosting. It is a business, which requires a certain finesse and wisdom than just being a consumer or an employee. Most people do not have experience  how to run a business. Maybe this forum could help in that department - 'The Dos and Dont's of Hosting'.

2. Conversely, sooner or later Airbnb should graduate from the 'everyone is beautiful lovefest'  mentality and accept the fact some guests are nothing short of mean-spirited scoundrels and should be treated as such once it becomes obvious. Society is general as we speak is 'discovering' the phenomena that - the more you cuddle the more aggressive, the meaner this lot will become without mercy.

3. If I was Airbnb I would slowly divorced myself from giving the impression they are offering any type of 'guarantee' as to damages for this is predicting human behavior of people they also have never met, which is similar to predicting future weather. The real reason why this is so important is because Airbnb charges only a 3% booking host fee and that is the main reason why it has been so successful with the best of offerings (which leads to where people go), and that will no longer be the case if administrative costs go up, as is the case with other listing agencies. 

Speaking of administrative costs, then there is the CS Department: This should be looked anew but backwards; reduce the reasons for it by education of hosts (See #1 above), holding certifiable-crazy guests immediately responsible (see #2) and lastly eliminate the whole claim department over-damages quagmire (see #3). Perhaps how all this could be accomplished is by having available a place were any and all questions are covered by guides available in the Airbnb web page and/or in this forum where guests can find answers to most questions immediately. Those too lazy to read have always been impossible to accommodate anyway, so let them waste their time calling a useless 'customer service department'.

(Note: I have never talked to a single guest on the phone in 7 years (700+ bookings) because it is usually a  monstrous waste of time and effort. I rather meet them in person when they finally arrive. Given that chance I will have them happily laughing and wrongly thinking I am a great guy in a few nano-seconds. 🙂

Note #2: Elaine701 is a very smart host! 

View Best Answer in original post

51 Replies 51
Elaine701
Level 10
Balearic Islands, Spain

@Michelle53 

We work pretty hard at that 5* target. But I can assure you that I couldn't care less what Airbnb thinks. I care what my customers think, and want to attract the best customers that I can. It's entirely self imposed. I can't blame anyone but myself. 

A few days ago, I was looking at my local competition, as I occasionally do as a sanity check, mainly to see how others are pricing and how well they're booked. But I found something else interesting. 

With all this talk about requiring 4.7 or 4.8 average rating or be subjected to unspeakable punishment by the Airbnb Gestapo, I was surprised to find many listings with 4.0 - 4.6 ratings. One had 3.8 and not very nice reviews. But it was cheap. 

I admit I'm famously guilty of ignoring the Airbnb Gestapo, but with all this pressure from Airbnb to be 5 star or die, how do these lower rated listings get away with it? Or are the Airbnb police having a snooze? 

It would be great to have a reward program that you can enjoy as a super host. Maybe super host swap program. That you end up enjoying the stay at maybe just get charged for the tax or cleaning but not the stay ?

Imagine someone from CA as a super host, would get a swap 3 day stay with someone in DC. What are your thoughts?

@Ella5012  How would that relate to Airbnb incentivizing hosts? It's no skin off Airbnb nose, nor has anything to do with them, really, to encourage hosts to offer their properties for free to other hosts. 

There are quite a few online homeswap sites already.

If you earn super-host consistently instead of giving $100  credit towards a stay how about give the $100 in cash and deposit it into our accounts!!!

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Darlene182,

There are tax implications for a cash gift, and I am pretty sure that Airbnb doesn't want to go down that road for $100 gifts.

Great point Debra, I'm sure they can find something that's better than what they offering as of now. I for one will never use the $100 towards a stay at and Airbnb.

Anyone who expects AirBNB to do a lot for hosts are really naïve.
Most of us worked all our lives for the big guy.
Have not you learned that loyalty does not pay?
AirBNB is just that - 'Big Guy" for hosts - we are all employees and all replaceable quite easily.
If summer release has not convinced the last gullible standing. Oh well LOL