Tax Forms 1099-K

Jason1759
Level 1
Ringgold, GA

Tax Forms 1099-K

Are we supposed to get a 1099-K?  I haven't received one and do not see one in my account page.

26 Replies 26
Raul480
Level 2
Goodyear, AZ

US persons who have earned over $20,000 and had 200+ transactions

The US Internal Revenue Service (IRS) requires US companies that process payments, including Airbnb, to report gross earnings for all US users who earn over $20,000 and have 200+ transactions in the calendar year. If you exceed both IRS thresholds in a calendar year, Airbnb will issue you a Form 1099-K.

Starting January 1, 2022, the IRS requires US companies to report gross earnings for all US users who earn over $600 in the calendar year. If you exceed the IRS threshold in a calendar year, Airbnb will issue you a Form 1099-K.

Thanks for the info. So, for 2021, we will not receive a 1099-K form just starting in 2022. All we have is the Earnings Statement form to copy off for 2021? Thanks

I too have not received my 1099 and the link to the year end statement goes nowhere. I’ve called the Help desk three times. Law requires the information be sent by the Jan. 31! I am not the only person who is having problems! The issue has been escalated but more people need to contact Airbnb. Totally unacceptable. 

The IRS requires that you report all income - I hope you are not saying that it’s OK not to report any Airbnb earnings under $20,000! Airbnb provided a year end statement for the past 3 years that I’ve hosted - and the IRS has accepted it. This year that link is not functioning has  been reported by a number of hosts. If you are one of those hosts then contact Help and don’t let them try to tell you it’s your browser. 

Airbnb demanded all the taxpayer info be submitted to them and now there is no forms being sent.   Where are the forms?

Karen223
Level 1
Denver, CO

Did anyone get an answer; we should have had one mailed to us by now since it's February

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Jason1759 @Karen223 @Larry416 @Barbara2519 

You will not receive a 1099 unless you made $20,000 AND hosted more than 200 reservations. 

The new $600 income tax law will take effect when you file your 2022 taxes.

Is that a total income?  I didn’t make that amount alone in Airbnb but between my other job it is way over.   I’m confused how to claim it.  I can’t find any forms that I need to claim on my taxes??? 

@Denise1426 You claim it on your taxes under rental income. Use Schedule E (Form 1040) to report income and expenses from rental real estate.

@Denise1426 If you use Turbo Tax when you file your 2022 taxes, it will calculate everything for you. 

@Emilia42   PLEASE correct your statement -- it is $20,000 AND 200 TRANSACTIONS.  It is not per hosted reservation.  A reservation can have several transactions associated with it.  For example, AirBnB will charge the guest once (1) but then there is your payout less the Air service fee (2) and the 3% host service fee (3), Add a refund (4) or extra services payment (5) and you now have as many as 5 transactions associated with a SINGLE hosted reservation.  

Also note that a 1099 will report the gross earnings of a property...including the AirBnB fees, 3% host service fees and taxes collected from the guest.   Just because you did not receive (were actually paid) those funds does not mean that they are deducted from your reported 1099 income, so you have to report them as expenses in order to have it accurately reflected on your taxes.

PLEASE consult a tax professional before renting.  Know the law.

Disclaimer:  I am not a tax professional or a rental property expert.

@Lorna170 You are correct. It used to say 'reservations' but has recently been changed to 'transaction.'

Stan-and-Deb0
Level 2
Michigan, United States

Yesterday I contacted the help desk about not being able to view or print the yearly earnings summary.  They basically told me to create my own by downloading my transactions into a spreadsheet.

Alyssa228
Level 2
Bellaire, MI

I've contacted support twice now with really no answer other than the forms are ready but the system won't upload them. What is that??? I said, if the form is ready, just email it to me. What a bunch of garbage.