Taxes on Co-host payout in India

Answered!
Deep730
Level 2
New Delhi, India

Taxes on Co-host payout in India

Hello Everyone!

I am a listing owner on Airbnb and have arranged to give 50% of the total payout to my co-host. However, Airbnb says that I will need to pay taxes on the entire booking amount. For instance, if I receive a booking of 1,000 Rupees and my co-host gets 500 Rupees (50% of the payout), I will still need to file income tax returns on the full 1,000 Rupees.  My co-host will also have to file income tax returns on his 500 Rupees share. 

Is this correct? If so, we both would be filing income tax returns on a combined total of 1,500 Rupees, even though the total payout is only 1,000 Rupees. I'm confused about this, so please help

1 Best Answer

Hey Bhumika,

I just read this. I had been paying 5% tax all this while! Thanks for the link, it helped me save upto 4% Really appreciate it.

View Best Answer in original post

17 Replies 17
Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @Deep730 , Have you managed to find more information about Taxes on Co-host payouts in India? There's an Airbnb article that provides a brief overview of 👉 Co-Host taxes and payouts👈

There's also another article that talks about 👉 Why are taxes being withheld from my payouts for listings in India? 👈 

Have you also reached out to the Customer Support team about it?

I'm also reaching out to a few Hosts from India if they can kindly help us with your question related to taxes 👀 :  @Shiv211 @Vishnu40 @Sangeeta8 @Snehal1 .

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Hello, You are based in Canada and CoHost for bnb in India ?

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @Snehal1 , thanks for your kind question! Haha, I wanted to clarify that I am a Community Manager for this Airbnb forum (and not a Co-host. Though I believe it would be a exciting adventure to pursue 😆 )

On a side note, I noticed that you're from Vadodara. I am a Gujarati too and from Ahmedabad. I shifted to Toronto some time ago 😉 

-----

Great Bhumika.  Kem Cho ?   Have you been to Statue of Unity?

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hu Maja ma! Tme kem cho? I've not visited the Statue of Unity yet @Snehal1 , however, I wish to when I visit back home (next time may be!)

-----

Also Plan to stay at my bnb 

Hey Bhumika,

I just read this. I had been paying 5% tax all this while! Thanks for the link, it helped me save upto 4% Really appreciate it.

Snehal1
Level 3
Vadodara, India

@Deep730 Is there a Way of Showing - Commission given from Personal income ?  I will like to know 

@Snehal1 In my earning reports, it shows - Booking amount paid out to Host (me). Then let's say as per my routing of payouts, my cohost receives 50% of the total booking amount.

For Example :

Amount paid by Guest - 1000 bucks

I have received 500 bucks

My cohost received 500 bucks.

So will I be paying taxes for 1000 bucks or 500 ?

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

@Deep730 , Have you also tried reaching Airbnb Customer Support team about it? What did they say?

-----

I did actually, however not getting the cleared anwers that's why decided to check here 🙂

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

I see @Deep730 ! In our global community, while we wait for more Hosts to support with the question, it could probably be a good idea to also reach out to Hosts through Airbnb's Local Host Clubs , where you can get in touch with Hosts from Delhi. I found the local club near you here Delhi Airbnb Host Community.

Do keep us posted if you find more information there. It will help many Hosts here in our Community 😊

-----

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @Deep730 , did you get more information in the Host Club I had shared above? Had you asked the question there?

-----

TDS is Deducted on which amount?