Think there's nothing more to improve? Your dead wrong. 💀

Will3872
Level 2
Winterthur, Switzerland

Think there's nothing more to improve? Your dead wrong. 💀

Hey everyone! 👋 

I’ve been in the STR game for a while now and have learned quite a bit from my own experiences and helping other investors. I thought I’d share some tips that made a difference for us, which I thought could help you, too!

Unique Amenities Make a Difference
Guests LOVE unique experiences, so if your property has some cool features, make sure you highlight them. Think gyms, movie theaters, hot tubs, plunge pools, or firepits. These extras can really make your place stand out. You don't need to have a huge basement to create a movie theater vibe. You just need a bedroom, some black paint, and a popcorn machine, and you'll have raving reviews about the movie theater.

Killer Descriptions and Photos
Your listing description and photos are your first impression. Make sure they’re detailed and engaging. Instead of just listing features, describe how they enhance the guest's stay. Use high-quality photos and videos to showcase every corner. Stop using your phones people!

AI is your best friend with writer's block.

Helpful Hint: Ask ChatGPT to create an outline for an epic property description. Feel free to make your own or use a variation of what I created below:

Hi ChatGPT,
I own an Airbnb property and want to create a fantastic description.

Please help me create a powerful outline for my listing description to knock the socks off my competition.

Here’s the information about my property: [Insert Property Link]

Here's what I need in the outline:

Attention-Grabbing Title: A catchy and descriptive title highlighting the best features.
Engaging Introduction: A brief intro with unique selling points and the type of guest experience.

Detailed Property Description:

- Living Spaces: Description of the living room, dining area, and communal spaces.
- Bedrooms: Details of each bedroom, including features and amenities.
- Bathrooms: Description of luxurious features like showers and tubs.
- Kitchen: Highlighting the fully equipped kitchen.
- Outdoor Spaces: Description of patios, gardens, hot tubs, firepits, etc.
- Unique Amenities: Listing standout amenities (e.g., movie theater, gym).
- Local Attractions and Convenience: Mentioning nearby attractions, activities, and conveniences.
- Guest Access and Interaction: Explanation of how guests can access the property and your availability for questions.
- House Rules and Policies: Stating house rules, check-in/check-out times, and policies.
- Call to Action: A friendly and inviting call to action to book the stay.

Thanks!

--

Transferable Loans – A Hidden Gem 💎

Let your local real estate agent know if they ever get a sweet deal like a low-interest, transferable loan. It can make your property much more profitable.

Stay on Top of Local Regulations
Regulations can be a headache, but staying informed can save you a lot of trouble. Some areas have more favorable regulations, making them better for STRs. For example, while Sedona has some pretty strict rules, properties in the surrounding county aren’t affected, which is a big advantage. Instead of just looking at No-HOA, look at properties outside of city limits.

Turnkey Properties with Potential
Turnkey properties are convenient, but there’s always room for improvement. You'd be surprised how a few tweaks can massively increase your revenue. A passionate investor could really take it to the next level. There are too many wannabes out there these days, and it's so easy to outperform them when you treat hosting and investing like a career.

Passion and Experience Matter
Having a passion for STRs with no experience vs. not being that passionate about STRs and having a ton of experience. Get out of your own way and go back to the basics. Honest feedback from guests will always be the best advice you can take. If you wanna take this business seriously and make crazy returns, leave your ego at the door. Each property has its own unique challenges and opportunities, and having someone experienced to guide you can be invaluable. Unless you live and breathe in that area, you probably have some blind spots. Learn to do what you do best and delegate the rest. A trusted realtor who is an investor can go a long way in your STR investing career.

My final two cents 🥂
Focus on what makes your property unique, never stop improving, and stay educated. Whether you’re looking to get started or a seasoned host, there’s always something new to learn and apply. If you ever want to chat or need some advice, feel free to reach out.

I hope this helps, and happy hosting!

William Hamburg
Sedona, Arizona

11 Replies 11
Andrea6232
Level 10
Bergamo, Italy

Ciao @Will3872 ,

I agree with you in almost everything, just be aware that videos are not allowed in Airbnb and also phones can take excellent photos 😉https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Community-Guides/GUIDE-How-to-best-photograph-your-home-with-you...

Andrea

https://airbnb.com/h/la-casa-sul-canale-con-piscina-jacuzzi-in-giardino

Will3872
Level 2
Winterthur, Switzerland

Hi Andrea, you are absolutely correct. However, some people like to make use of other platform such as GMB for their STRs 🙂

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Thanks for sharing these tips with us based on your STR experience @Will3872  ! 🌻 

What's the best tip or advice that you make sure your team of Hosts or property managers follow when it comes to welcoming guests? 😉

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

According to your profile you don't have any listings @Will3872 do you not use Airbnb ? 

Will3872
Level 2
Winterthur, Switzerland

Hi Helen, great to meet you! No, I’ve never self managed. I always put an amazing team in place. How about you? Are you self managing? If so, where you at?

Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

Sorry what do you mean where am I at @Will3872 

it's unusual for those with a team in place not to be a cohost or host for their own properties 😀

Will3872
Level 2
Winterthur, Switzerland

Hi Helen,

I absolutely love our property manager! She does a fantastic job. I had no reason to be the co-host. She's a rock star. For me, the whole point is to be an investor not a micro-manager. Like I said, do what you do best and delegate the rest! 🙂

@Will3872  So you don't directly manage any STRs, and you thought you would come here and tell other hosts how to make their properties amazing? 

I can compliment you on your hubris, but that's about all. 

Will3872
Level 2
Winterthur, Switzerland

Wow this is not the response I was expecting after trying to help fellow airbnb investors. Good luck with that attitude in your future endeavors.

Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

You didn't mention on your post that it was specifically for investors . Most hosts here are not investors @Will3872 

it does come across as patronising for someone who says they've never managed an STR to tell seasoned hosts how they should be managing their properties 

I think perhaps you should reflect on your own emotional intelligence and your purpose on posting in this community. 

your post comes across more as a plug for your investor business  using AI type generated tips which are US focussed .

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Will3872 

One of the top three things hosts can do to eliminate problems is to communicate clearly.  

Your headline might have helped clarify your intention if it had mentioned investors, not implied you were addressing hosts.  Perhaps ChatGPT could have given you an assist (and I'm sorry to mention it, but it might have corrected "your" in the headline to "you're" 😊).

When ChatGPT came out, I asked it to rewrite my listing descriptions.  It couldn't suggest anything to improve, which I greatly enjoyed 🤣

That's because for 10 years I've refined the descriptions, photos, and other aspects of my listing continuously, and used my STR income to maintain the properties to a high level and add improvements as I go.

I like keeping my standards (and prices) high, delivering value to my guests, and watching competitors enter the market on the assumption that it will be easy money.  It's easy to see who will last and who will disappear.  I respect good hosts and have always found there is plenty of business for all of us.

Most people are not original thinkers.  They're always looking at what everyone else is doing and coming up with the most obvious - and doomed - solutions to "beat the competition."

The most popular method they choose is to lower their nightly prices.  Anyone with a brain can see where this will lead:  ever-worsening guests, ever-dwindling income, ever-reduced maintenance, fewer improvements, and increasingly bad reviews.  Eventually, the host sells, shuts down, or switches to long term rental, blaming whatever platform they were on.

Successful hosts do their own thinking, and those who have responded to you have a long history of success because they do exactly that.  It's not easy for the individualistic host, who knows exactly what they offer and exactly who their target market is, to take "one-size-fits-all" advice, no matter how well meant.