Will coronavirus help or hurt business?

Pete69
Level 10
Los Angeles, CA

Will coronavirus help or hurt business?

You might be thinking that less travelers means less Airbnb business. I disagree because if I was traveling, I would want to avoid crowded places... LIKE hotels!

I let people know that I leave at least 1 day of prep time between guests, and usually it's a few days between guests. Plenty of time to air out the room.

Fortunately for me, things don't really pick up until Summer time. These viruses typically sputter out with the warmer weather.

2 Replies 2

@Pete69   I can imagine it being pretty good for hosts with Entire House listings in relatively remote areas. But social-distancing strategies aren't really compatible with tourism in big cities, since all the things to do involve some amount of contact with a lot of people. And even those who don't feel the need to take precautions are cancelling trips because the key items on their itinerary are being canceled. Whether they feel safe in your property doesn't really matter if the festival, convention, cultural event, or attraction they wanted to attend is shut down.  On top of that, people who are suffering financial losses now aren't going to have much of a vacation budget.

I expect that the broader ramifications will have a negative impact on most hosts, as it already is throughout the rest of the travel industry. But if your company produces toilet paper or hand sanitizer, break out the champagne.

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

It will hurt .