Yale Smart Lock - Does Not Work as Advertised

Steve3194
Level 2
San Rafael, CA

Yale Smart Lock - Does Not Work as Advertised

I have a yale smart lock that was advertised to be able to sync with Airbnb account. This was the feature I was most excited about because it is supposed to automatically send an Airbnb message to the guest with a custom generated code  to them prior to check in.

These messages are not being sent to guests and both yale and Airbnb are pointing the finger at one another.

has anyone had success with the automatic messages or troubleshooting this with them?

8 Replies 8
Nancy1609
Level 2
New York, NY

So sorry to hear that. I was excited too about this but decided to get another brand ( Schlage encode) I must say it is easy to use. I have one for my home & another for my rental unit. Easy to set up the code for guest & cleaning service. 
was able to set up the code for the client & send it to her immediately. 

@Nancy1609 are you saying that you would prefer everything to be outside of the Airbnb app? Like it's almost better just to manage all of the messaging and sending of codes via the Schlage app?

Drew2062
Level 2
Denver, CO

I have the same exact problem with the Yale Assure SL. Both Airbnb and August/Yale pointed the finger, and neither were able to help me. I'll be replacing the lock.

Cherie71
Level 10
Anchorage, AK

This kind of thing makes me nervous giving even more 'control' to Airbnb.  There are lock systems you can set the code remotely and receive notices of entrance and which will lock the door once closed.  

With all the issues we have with Airbnb CS, why in the world would you want to put yourself in this position?

Dan16331
Level 2
Maple Grove, MN

@Steve3194  Were you ever able to get this working?

Jaclyn85
Level 1
Nashville, TN

I bought the Yale Assure 2 lock specifically for the integration with the listing. It was advertised as: link the listing to the Yale app, guests get a unique key code that's valid for the checkin/out times on the reservation. If a reservation is cancelled, the codes immediately stop working.

I was able to get it connected to the listing. However, I asked Airbnb support if you can edit the check in/out time if someone wants an early check in. They said that once the reservation is made, nothing can be changed with the access via Yale....unless the reservation is cancelled. (Some project manager screwed up on requirements gathering there)

We had our first booking.....an auto generated message was sent to the guest. (It's a huge chunk of confusing text that directs people to the App Store to download the Yale app!) No key code was generated. I can't find anywhere in the Yale app or Airbnb listing info that an integration EVEN EXISTS. Meanwhile, bookings are still getting this message that seems like it's from a bot, so now I have to tell guests to ignore the text and it makes me look like I don't have my sh*t together. 

I don't see any settings or integration granted within the Yale or Airbnb app. I called Yale and they said that within the Airbnb app, you have to change it to "key pad access" instead of "app access". I just got off the phone with Airbnb and was told they have no partnership with Yale and they can't see an integration with the listing and that I should call Yale. *MY GUESTS ARE STILL GETTING THE AUTOMATED YALE APP MESSAGE IN THEIR AIRBNB INBOX.*

I've tried resolving this for the past 4 months. What a joke. I work in tech and it's so frustrating when some business heads come up with this cool idea that we've been asking for, but then they abandon it not even a year after announcing it. Geez. 

I did some more digging. In the Yale app, open the left hand side menu and tap "Works With". From there you tap on Airbnb and it opens an in-app browser window to log into Airbnb. Then, you select the listing to integrate with. From there, you have to make sure you select "The name of your lock"-Keypad. The keypad tag at the end is what I'm assuming generates the code for the listing. Next time I get a booking, I'll be able to see what message they auto send to the guest. Here's to hoping this works! Kind of wild that customer service at both companies didn't know this. (Also, the Yale app UX is so bad, it causes a lot of confusion. For something as important as a lock, you'd think they'd pay more attention.)

I've spent over 4 hours on these shenanigans. This is really difficult and confusing for new hosts. 

@Jaclyn85 I actually use a version of this and I've been really happy with it. When you are integrating (that is when you hit works with) there are couple of things to pay attention to. One it will ask you which listing to integrate, you have to make sure to link it to the listing. 

Second and more importantly it will ask you which lock you want to choose. This is really horrible wording because it makes it sound like there are more than one lock. But actually it's about the kind of access: do you want to give key code or link to the app.  If you pick app access, it won't generate a key-code but rather send a link for people to download the app. 

You have to make sure to pick the second option, that way they won't get a link but will get the really horribly worded automated message sent out with a code you will also see a yellow circle on the log that says you added a new person. I hope this helps. 

IMG_2607.jpgIMG_2608.PNG