host Vs cohost

Rajiva0
Level 1
Vancouver, Canada

host Vs cohost

Hello I just started to host my house in Vancouver canada. I wanted to know what is the difference between hosting yourself or getting someone to host on behalf of you and pay them. I want to know advantage and disadvantage? In vancouver you can not use your laneway home or basement for airbnb this is what i was told by the city or county. Is there a way to run your listing while it is hidden from the city of county's' eyes?

8 Replies 8
Lorina14
Top Contributor
Bellevue, WA

@Rajiva0 

It is always best to set your listing up where you are the primary host and you have a cohost where you can allow permissions for what they can see/do. This protects you so you have the payouts coming to your account and you can choose to pay them a percentage from each booking or just pay them separately (not through the Airbnb platform). I’ve seen some horror stories about owners who had someone managing their listing but they allowed them to be the primary host then they had no way to access the bookings or listing when the managing person left or was doing something that the owner didn’t approve of. 

As for your second question, I would see if there was an Airbnb Canadian host on the community boards in your area to speak to (there are local airbnb hosting groups on FB but I believe you need to have an active listing to be admitted to the official group but there are unofficial groups too) or consider contacting a real estate lawyer to get the official information for your city/county/province.

I have another listing that I gave to a host. I have no or very limited access to the listing. She charges me 15% plus she keeps all the cleaning fees because she had her own cleaning company. She provides her own bedding people come clean the place and replace used bedding with new one. She takes them home to wash it. She provides toilet paper as well but I have no access to the listing. 

I am not sure if that could create a problem for me or not. I was thinking of managing my self and that is the reason I ask this question. Is there any advantage to hire a co-host?

@Rajiva0 

You can manage the listing yourself but did you initially set up the listing yourself? If not it is under her name and she is getting all the reviews and superhost status if your listing has achieved that.

If you decide to take over, I am not sure if she will give you the listing if she was the one who created it. How do you know if she is actually giving you the amount that you deserve if you don’t know what your daily rate is, what the expenses are, etc.? 

Airbnb typically does not allow transfers of listings between individuals but I have seen one where a host sold his house and was able to successfully transfer his listings. According to Airbnb policies they don’t have a way to do this. It’s true that the reviews generally follow the host, not the actual listing itself.

If you decide to take over the listing then you will likely have to create an entire new listing and rebuild your reviews. You will need to contact Airbnb and let them know that the status so she does not list your listing and get bookings when you are the owner and have taken the listing back from her management. 

Having a cohost is helpful if one will be out of town/in a different time zone, or having someone cover you so guests have a point of contact if something arises during their stay or if there are inquiries that you cannot respond to in a timely manner. Some property managers are cohosts and take a percentage of your nightly earnings, while some people help set up listings for new hosts then stay on for a trial period, etc.

Look under host resources to read articles about cohosts and how much responsibility can be given to them and how it could be useful to have cohosts to help you manage a listing locally if you are out of town/state/country.

Thank you so much. I will try to get back the listing. 

Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

You won't be able to get the listing transferred. What does your contract with the cohost. Say about giving notice @Rajiva0 

Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

Why would you let a cohost set up your listing so you have no access to it @Rajiva0 

the listing should be set up under your profile and then you invite the cohost to provide cohost support so the reviews and ratings stay with you and you have full access to payment information and guest messages 

In bc Canada the government have put restrictions on airbnb and I thought it would be in my benefit to hire a host as they are experienced. I have no control of the listing now. I have given her notice and start all over again.