how can I improve my listing?

Answered!
Bes175
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

how can I improve my listing?

as a first time host I'm finding this a tad confusing : )

Anyone's advice & some tips about my listing,

will be greatly appreciated. Cheers @ 1/ all. B

1 Best Answer
Delphine348
Host Advisory Board Member
Achères-la-Forêt, France

Hello @Bes175 ,

Welcome in Airbnb host community !

I have looked at your listing description and photos. 

- you should complete with detailed house's rules, you will see that what’s not written is allowed and guests have plenty of imagination ! You can find a lot of house's rules exemple in this forum, simply click on the top contributors name, then see their Airbnb profile, then their listing. You are sharing your home, you need to set rules. I feel that you will take good care of your guests when I read your text, it’s a very good point! Bathroom is shared, unless nobody works in your family, how will you manage a guest that takes hours in your bathroom in the morning?

- under the map "where you'll be" you have written a house rule text about your pricing and you seem undetermined about it. Erase, you set a price for max 2 people that’s it. If you want, you can put a price for 1 and define a price for 1 additional people. It would allow a single guest a better price.

- Photos: I can’t imagine the bed, I would put a photo of the sofa opened with the bed done and looking comfy . I doubt that the 2 sofas can be opened at the same time?

You should clean the space before taking the pictures, there is many objects.

On the small table on the first photo for instance. The covers on the sofas make me feel that they are old and need the covers to hide something like stains maybe from the cat.

For the 3rd photo, I would remove the Christmas tree and the oil radiator makes me think that the central heating isn’t working. A lot of stuff besides the sofa (no space to put it?) where will I put my clothes and luggages during my stay? You could put flowers on the table but not a glass and other things that belongs to you.

The window view is nice, if ....you open the window before taking the picture.

The Beatles photo isn’t free of author's rights, you should remove it. You can find free rights photos on Pixabay for instance https://pixabay.com/images/search/abbey%20road/?manual_search=1

Toilet photo is not necessary , I know that you have it. 

Too many products in your bathroom but it’s a personal opinion. The curtain is ripped, you should remove it or change it.

- good point: you clearly explain the accessibility obstacle, show photos of all the way to get to the room and of your cat so guests can clearly know what to expect.

- generally , I can feel that you are a new host and new hosts are targets for scammers as often read on this forum, don’t tell me your life (as in introduction "Description is not complete, as I'm doing this for 1st time, more will be added in few days..."). Just present the space you are renting, don’t write so long about parking, I would just warn the guests about the fact that parking a car is very expensive and advise them to use public transportation. Quote the name of the closest subway or bus station. And add some information about point of interest or restaurant in the area, it’s useful.

- check in hours after 11, you need to set a limit. Imagine your foreign guest arrives after midnight or in the middle of the night. 

I hope all my comments will help you and that I didn’t offend you!

You can read a lot of good advices and tips in this part of the forum here https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Tips-Tutorials/Tips-and-Tutorials-List-of-content/td-p/461774

Delphine

(Sauf indication contraire, mes contributions sont issues de mon expérience en tant qu'hôte)

View Best Answer in original post

9 Replies 9
Gillian166
Level 10
Hay Valley, Australia

@Bes175  hi and welcome. 

your photos need a lot of improvement. the days of taking low res snaps with your phone are over. 
where's the bedroom? are you saying that lounge room and those 2 sofas are the beds? for $330/night? ? ! 

have you looked at the standard of other listings in your area?
and the price? ? 

Bes175
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

Hello Gillian, duly noted - point about taking better ph./ high res.  I should have explained more, as 'this was a work in progress' posted last year for few days, then unlisted [all photos are old] and I wanted some tips, before the new changes. [yes, in my area prices can go even higher for a double-r, obviously with better / neat presentation] Please, do come back and take a look in a week or two and your input will be welcomed. Thanks & G.luck to you.

Delphine348
Achères-la-Forêt, France

Hello @Bes175 ,

Welcome in Airbnb host community !

I have looked at your listing description and photos. 

- you should complete with detailed house's rules, you will see that what’s not written is allowed and guests have plenty of imagination ! You can find a lot of house's rules exemple in this forum, simply click on the top contributors name, then see their Airbnb profile, then their listing. You are sharing your home, you need to set rules. I feel that you will take good care of your guests when I read your text, it’s a very good point! Bathroom is shared, unless nobody works in your family, how will you manage a guest that takes hours in your bathroom in the morning?

- under the map "where you'll be" you have written a house rule text about your pricing and you seem undetermined about it. Erase, you set a price for max 2 people that’s it. If you want, you can put a price for 1 and define a price for 1 additional people. It would allow a single guest a better price.

- Photos: I can’t imagine the bed, I would put a photo of the sofa opened with the bed done and looking comfy . I doubt that the 2 sofas can be opened at the same time?

You should clean the space before taking the pictures, there is many objects.

On the small table on the first photo for instance. The covers on the sofas make me feel that they are old and need the covers to hide something like stains maybe from the cat.

For the 3rd photo, I would remove the Christmas tree and the oil radiator makes me think that the central heating isn’t working. A lot of stuff besides the sofa (no space to put it?) where will I put my clothes and luggages during my stay? You could put flowers on the table but not a glass and other things that belongs to you.

The window view is nice, if ....you open the window before taking the picture.

The Beatles photo isn’t free of author's rights, you should remove it. You can find free rights photos on Pixabay for instance https://pixabay.com/images/search/abbey%20road/?manual_search=1

Toilet photo is not necessary , I know that you have it. 

Too many products in your bathroom but it’s a personal opinion. The curtain is ripped, you should remove it or change it.

- good point: you clearly explain the accessibility obstacle, show photos of all the way to get to the room and of your cat so guests can clearly know what to expect.

- generally , I can feel that you are a new host and new hosts are targets for scammers as often read on this forum, don’t tell me your life (as in introduction "Description is not complete, as I'm doing this for 1st time, more will be added in few days..."). Just present the space you are renting, don’t write so long about parking, I would just warn the guests about the fact that parking a car is very expensive and advise them to use public transportation. Quote the name of the closest subway or bus station. And add some information about point of interest or restaurant in the area, it’s useful.

- check in hours after 11, you need to set a limit. Imagine your foreign guest arrives after midnight or in the middle of the night. 

I hope all my comments will help you and that I didn’t offend you!

You can read a lot of good advices and tips in this part of the forum here https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Tips-Tutorials/Tips-and-Tutorials-List-of-content/td-p/461774

Delphine

(Sauf indication contraire, mes contributions sont issues de mon expérience en tant qu'hôte)
Bes175
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

Hi Delphine - I can't be more pleased from your thorough & detailed reply, obv. you don't do things by half. This was excellent point 'what's not written is allowed' I will take a look at superhosts [including your rules, despite being in French] and include them in my future listing. Last year I did a sort of experiment posting 3 rooms, [unlisted them all later, and now 2 still remain unlisted] Now I'l do  start with only this double-R, until I get the hang of it. Also will do a Pdf brochure with 'interesting places nearby and in London in general' [like the one you have done] and mail it to guests after booking, this way I will remove explanations in my posts n keep it neat & concise.

Price - I have to work on it [ur 2nd par.] still have no idea what's going on. As I write, my listing is supposed to be private [2 days ago on my mobile I did that, in laptop shows as Live listing] and 1-2, or both, adding a guest, I will soon have learn how to do that. 

Photos will be done just like you mention [open] will be two sofas and made as beds. Sofas are incredibly comfy to sleep on [custom made in Turkey] v. solid and also v.large; might not look like it but 1 sofa can sit 5 adults, 4 ppl for sure. Few scratches on the side -  not anywhere else, cover is to keep them clear/ undamaged as we sit. Also they are a lovely/ warm colour which my ph. don't do justice - hopefully new ones they will look better, once open they are bigger than a single bed.

The new & proper listing will look totally different, the D-Room will have a new double wardrobe, new fridge, different arrangement etc [sofas facing each other] Will remove clutter, make 1-2-3-4 or 4 photos [no toilet/ corridor, etc] Photos of radiator/ christmas tree ph. will go also [were taken last year] Parking/ check'in - advice, were great points also.  What more can I say? If you/ your H, are ever in London [my area close to Lords cricket ground] and want to meet for 10-15 min, coffees are on me. Please come back in 1-2 weeks and take one last look on my final listing.

Your comment helped me - one degree less than if you wrote my listing from point one, it was this helpful. : ) THANK YOU!

G. Luck, B.

Delphine348
Achères-la-Forêt, France

Great @Bes175 , it's a work in progress, we all started somewhere!

Better use your computer when working on your listing to avoid any mistake, it's safer. I see you have paused the listing, you will be able to make your updates quietly. 

Take your time, read articles on the resource center also and join the FB group of the Airbnb London Hosts here https://www.facebook.com/groups/1355765584757796

You will get support and belong to the community even more!

Delphine

Bes175
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

I agree @Delphine348 - it takes time to learn about Airbnb navigation in order to complete a good listing. From now on, computer it is - opening links and windows makes it easier to find diff. topics.

I have just started to check main points on R. Center, and learning more as I go along. You guys and this community have been of immense help & I'll be back as soon as repairs, materials for the room and wording for the new listing is completed. 

Rgds, Bes

Sudsrung0
Level 10
Rawai, Thailand

@Bes175 

I was about to throw my none expert advise to you, 

One thing I always say when setting up your listing, Use a desk top/laptop

Change your profile photo you look to serious, 

Bes175
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

Hi Sudsrung0, any advice is appreciated. For 'serious photo' you are right & that's what my daughter says, having tried and failed for 10yrs to 'make me appear smiley on pics' 🙂

That aside, my help & efforts to make staying pleasant for all Airbnb guest will more than compensate for my 'serious look' G.luck to you and thanks again. B

@Bes175 

At least take your tie off, you look like a policeman