property use taxes

Answered!
Tracy687
Level 1
Pennington, NJ

property use taxes

I was reviewing the confirmation for a guest and under the "Guest paid", it's showing both a line for "Occupancy taxes" and "Property use taxes".  What is the "Property use tax"?

1 Best Answer

Issue solved Professional tools were on..not sure how that happened....where extra fees can be added. I never set it up so not sure how it happened. It takes 1-2 day to remove it.

How to do: Go to your account, then to professional tools, manage, then turn off.  Tyra at Airbnb said nothing else on listing should be affected but the future Occupancy tax will not longer be there on future reservations! 

View Best Answer in original post

16 Replies 16
Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Tracy687   Please post a screen shot -- it helps to know what you are asking.  Also, take  look at the tax page for your listing.  If Air is collecting taxes for your rental location, it will list the various taxes it is collecting.  Many municipalities have multiple taxes -- mine for instance has State Sales and Use, County Sales and Use and Municipal Occupancy taxes.  In your case, the Property use tax could be a tax for the house being a rental property versus a owner occupied residence.  

@Lorna170 This is good to know.. im owner occupied ..so need to figure this out! 

Hi,

Greetings from Lush Garden Resort.  

For us also, Airbnb is charging both Occupancy tax of 18% and Property Use tax of 18% from the guests and the guests are feeling the amount is too much. Previously Airbnb used to charge only the occupancy tax.

Please find the screen shot of the same.

airbnb tax issue.png

Denise1152
Level 2
Vallejo, CA

I am also seeing this as a charge to my renters.  One is threatening to cancel.  Airbnb is looking into it.  They can't seem to explain it and said I may be able to opt out. 

Hi Denise, were you able to opt out? I am also seeing this tax. 

Eric5614
Level 1
Cottonwood Heights, UT

Hi all,

I host a property in Myrtle Beach, where the state collected 10% and the city and county collect 1.5% each, for a total of 13%.  AirBNB automatically collects for the state, but not for county or city.  My property manager was able to set a 3% rate under Property Use Taxes to collect the 3% from my guests so I don't have to pay it out of pocket.  My understanding is that this is to be used to collect taxes that AirBNB doesn't collect.  There are instructions here: https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/2523/how-to-add-taxes-to-listings.

I hope this helps!

Eric5614_0-1644868712397.png

Patricia3535
Level 1
Santa Cruz, CA

I still have the question of the double tax of Property Use Tax and Occupancy tax.  I have asked several times and no one seems to be able to answer this at Air bnb.

I have been trying for over w months to resolve with Airbnb ..going round and round. I don't know what to do..Did you get your's resolved ? 

Anything further on an answer to this one?

Tracy did you ever get an answer.? Having same issue SF..nowhere on site does it have an area for a property use tax...there is for the Transient tax... have Calle into Airbnb..but want see what happened with your case 

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @Springer0 ,

Good to know that you have approached Support for this as well! We would love to hear more in case you receive any updates from them.

Can’t find what you’re searching for? start a conversation

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Did you get this figured out???

Issue solved Professional tools were on..not sure how that happened....where extra fees can be added. I never set it up so not sure how it happened. It takes 1-2 day to remove it.

How to do: Go to your account, then to professional tools, manage, then turn off.  Tyra at Airbnb said nothing else on listing should be affected but the future Occupancy tax will not longer be there on future reservations! 

Actually not resolved ..one week later new bookings and STILL double tax ! Turning off professional tools does not work.