A guest had an accident in our house. How to we write a review?

Kate878
Level 1
England, United Kingdom

A guest had an accident in our house. How to we write a review?

What happens if they decide to press charges at a later date?  

What happened is that a 5 year old child climbed on our well and jumped on the well cover which tilted.  She fell down into 1 m of water.  Her uncle ripped off the well cover and she was rescued.  The police say there is nothing in law about wells.

The family left early without clearing up the house at all.  

They have not mentioned the accident to us or contacted us at all.

Any help from the Community please

6 Replies 6
Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Wowzer, that's scary @Kate878, and I can understand they were shocked, hence doing one. I didn't notice any warnings on your listing about the well (perhaps there needs to be). I can imagine they're going to give you a hellish review, despite (one could argue) their negligence was a contributing factor. 

Why would you think they would press charges, and what charges?

Good luck, and do report back if there's any follow-up. 

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Kate878  I've researched about it a few years ago when we start hosting. As I remember, short term rentals don't have to be child proofed like a kinder garden to be allowed to rent to families with kids. It says that parents are responsible for their own kids and should watch them over.

However, in the future, it would be wise to include the photo of the well in your gallery (if you don't have it already) and to warn the parents about it, as well as about any other potentially dangerous points of your home and surroundings.

Good to know:

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/1348/if-i-specify-that-my-listing-is-safe-or-suitable-for-childr...

https://www.safekids.org/safetytips

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/937/what-is-host-protection-insurance

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Kate878  This is why we have our place listed as unsuitable for infants and why we explain to anyone with children less than about 8 all the ways in which the apartment is not childproofed, that way, they are agreeing and acknowledging all of the various issues...wood floors, gas stove, no outlet covers, no furniture corner covers, breakables.  

It does seem if their child was jumping on a well cover that this is their own negligence, but you should definitely mention it in the listing and to people with young children.  

If the child wasn't injured and the police say you didn't break any laws with the well, on what basis do you think they would sue you?

ETA:  how long ago did they leave?  If it was as few days v. a couple of weeks might be an indication whether you would ever expect to hear from them again.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Kate878  I wouldn't waste time being concerned about it, since the guests haven't done anything about it, like send a nasty message saying they are planning to sue, or anything. If something happens, deal with it then and maybe posters here can advise. 

Parents shouldn't be allowing a 5 year old child to be wandering about on their own anyway, but if you want to accept children, I'd either have a different sort of well cover that this couldn't happen with, or maybe create some type of fence around that area.

Kate878
Level 1
England, United Kingdom

Thank you all.  The well is mentioned in our House Manual - forbidden to climb on the well etc, but I will put pictures on our site and make more mention of it.

Rowena29
Level 10
Australia

Hi @Kate878 

Everyone's already offered heaps of good advice.

In this particular instance as a host, I probably would lean towards NOT reviewing and staying silent - hoping that this silence will also have the effect of the guest not reviewing.  

If they do leave a negative review, deal with the fallout by leaving a factual professional brief response.

If in any doubt - you could always post your planned response on these boards to get feedback/advice.

Good luck with this.

When I was very little a neighbourhood child drowned like this, so I have empathy for both parties.   ( the well had a sealed concrete cover. the child jumped on it as children, including myself,  had done for decades, the concrete caved in)

Thank God the uncle was nearby!