AIRBNB cannot verify Photo ID

Sanat1
Level 1
Barbar, Bahrain

AIRBNB cannot verify Photo ID

Hi,

I am trying to book an apartment. Host has accepted the booking. However AIRBNB cannot verify my photo ID and therefore is blocking the completion of my booking, although the payment for the same has already been deducted from my credit card.

I have tried two different photo IDs over two different platforms (through mobile app and website accessed by laptop). However, AIRBNB failed to match the photos in all instances. No surprise since the IDs were issued 5-8 years before and I am now at my wits end to see how can I appear the same as I used to look 5-8 years back. Not to mention the limitation of facial recognition technology itself.

Can anyone guide me how to sort this out? I cannot find any way to reach out to AIRBNB via email or chat or phoneline. Neither is there a window to raise a ticket for suppport. Atleast not that I have been able to find. Appreciate comments from veterans and anyone from AIRBNB if they are reading this.

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Sanat

20 Replies 20

@Sanat1 - you need to contact Airbnb directly.  

Go to the Tips and Tutorials Discussion Room and find the community help guide for Contacting Airbnb.  It has ll the ways you can contact Airbnb.  

@Alice-and-Jeff0 thanks for the message. 

BR

sanat

Martin413
Level 2
Vancouver, Canada

I have spent over an hour and a half trying to get the app to recognize my ID. Perhaps because I have grown a beard since my ID photos were taken. Does this mean I cannot use airBnB?

Jack163
Level 1
Guadalajara, Mexico

I have been having the same issue, though my iD was issued last year and i've been trying for 3 days to get a photot that will recognise as a match. even holding the id up in the photo, doing my hair the same way etc etc.
 No matter what I try they keep asking for another photo. This is getting beyond exasperating.

Kim398
Level 1
Auckland, New Zealand

Yes, this facial recognition process is horrible and a really painful experience if you need to make an urgent booking!!! 

I have made multiple attempts and EVEN tried to replicate the photo on my government ID by matching the lighting AND my hairstyle. 

Question for the community: IF every attempt I make fails, and my facial-verification expires my booking, will the money be refunded back to my card?

Please help!!

Manolis9
Level 2
Vlierden, Netherlands

Same problem. Over 10 times, passport or drivers license, both are not working. Auto recognition faillure.

Rick175
Level 1
Adelaide, Australia

Yep it's never worked and still doesn't.

AirBnB cannot be contacted for help, so your only option is to use one of their alternative competitors.

Tim439
Level 1
Venice, FL

I also had this issue about a year ago.  I have a long beard (to my chest) in my ID pic and currently and my ID is not in beautiful shape, not sure if that created the complications.  Over the course of a few days I put around 5 hours into trying to verify... I finally got it but I couldn't tell you how.  HUGE pain in the butt!!!  I hope AirBnB never asks me to update, IDK if I'd go through the hassle again.

Reed12
Level 1
Jackson, MS

Me too! And “support” just stopped responding. This is remarkably bad service. Just wondering if anyone at airbnb ever reads this community board or is this just to let people vent and then go back to trying another to take their picture over and over and over....

Sameera3
Level 2
United States

Has anyone ever heard of a hotel that requires facial recognition? Even the best 5 star hotels? Sadly, AirBnB lost us as customers, they've gone too far. We even tried to work with them, but they repeatedly refused our "selfies" for facial recognition. Everyone knows, this is an extremely easy way to forge things. A government ID is apparently not good enough, AirBnB wants to allow cameras in the places you rent. I don't feel comfortable with this new system. What are the AirbnB alternatives? and not VRBO & Homeaway, they own those too. Practically a monopoloy. 

Cody51
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

No new news but same big problem. I honestly dont think I look different at all from my original id they are matching too but cannot get it to accept my picture. Ive tried the same tricks as above, matching smile, lighting, background, zoom, etc. but nothing works. Would love any advice on where to go from here. Ive reached out to airbnb and am awaiting a response. Quite frustrating. 

Follow up: this is the pointless response Airbnb support provided, “Thank you for reaching out. We suggest that you keep on trying until the system accepted your selfie. Unfortunately there is no other way to do the verification but through the website.” 

Thanks for nothing. Hopefully the community may have some actual tips or suggestions on how to make their crappy program match my picture. 

Yei0
Level 2
Melbourne, Australia

I had issues with face match. My id was approved however when it came to matching my selfie, it was having trouble doing this. 

These are the steps I took to overcome this. 

1. Check the cancellation policy, if it’s moderate or flexible then it’s possible to get a full refund. If the cancellation policy is strict, then attempt contacting the host to cancel on their end to ensure you receive a full refund, how ever this will take a few days. 

2. Check if the amount is still pending, if so, then a refund will be issue immediately. 

3. Find another government id that suits your current face, in lighting, facial features and hair.

4. Make sure to save listing. 

5. Delete current government id. 

6. Upload new current id and picture, it might ask you to upload together, which is fine. 

7. Take selfie picture accordance to set standards. 

8. Wait for id to be verified, it might do this immediately so don’t assume that it’s going to take a couple of days, just regularly check. 

9. Once confirmed, go to saved locations and re attempt to book. 

Yei0
Level 2
Melbourne, Australia

I had issues with face match. My id was approved however when it came to matching my selfie, it was having trouble doing this. 

These are the steps I took to overcome this. 

1. Check the cancellation policy, if it’s moderate or flexible then it’s possible to get a full refund. If the cancellation policy is strict, then attempt contacting the host to cancel on their end to ensure you receive a full refund, how ever this will take a few days. 

2. Check if the amount is still pending, if so, then a refund will be issue immediately. 

3. Find another government id that suits your current face, in lighting, facial features and hair.

4. Make sure to save listing. 

5. Delete current government id. 

6. Upload new current id and picture, it might ask you to upload together, which is fine. 

7. Take selfie picture accordance to set standards. 

8. Wait for id to be verified, it might do this immediately so don’t assume that it’s going to take a couple of days, just regularly check. 

9. Once confirmed, go to saved locations and re attempt to book.