Accepting a host who wants to throw a party?

Stephanie1244
Level 2
Oakville, Canada

Accepting a host who wants to throw a party?

hello

I have a very nice home which I'm renting typically to families. However, I got a request for a 18 year old wanting to host a bday party. He has no reviews and just joined but seems respectful.

Should I accept his request? 

16 Replies 16
Jeff158
Level 10
Caernarfon, United Kingdom

@Stephanie1244 

Is this a trick question or maybe you're being controversial or perhaps just plain daft.

Neither controversial nor silly... it seems like good money for just 1 night so it's fair to give this request its due consideration.

hahahahahahahaah!!!!

Susan151
Level 10
Somerville, MA

@Stephanie1244 I wouldn't. However, if you think it is a good idea, make sure that he has taken out event insurance with you and your listing as the beneficiary. If he is planning to hire any event folks such as caterers, make sure that they have proper insurance as well to indemnify you fully.

thanks for that, I didn't know about the event insurance. How do you get one for one night: Airbnb or external insurance company?

Ann489
Level 10
Boise, ID

@Stephanie1244         There is NO way that would ever agree to anything like this.  It's just not worth it.   

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Stephanie1244  No, no, no. Being polite in messages has zero to do with whether they'll trash the place and of course an 18 year old's party is going to leave a disaster. It would be extremely unusual if it didn't. Of course he's being polite, he wants you to say yes.

This new phenomenon of 18 year olds wanting to rent other people's homes for parties is insane. Why doesn't he hold it at his parents' house, ever wonder that? Why don't they all go to some campground, the beach, or the gravel pit, just like we used to do when we were young?

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Stephanie1244   No. Absolutely not.  

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I can't think of one reason why someone would want to allow their family property to be used by an 18 year old without any reviews for their birthday party @Stephanie1244 

The obvious one: money...

@Stephanie1244 wrote:

The obvious one: money...

Stop being greedy and use some common sense.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Money 🙂  - you mean the thousands of dollars you would lose in having to carry out repairs that Airbnb won't cover under it's guarantee.

Or the money you will lose through not being able to take bookings while you carry out repairs.

I am wondering why you bothered to post here as you appear so dismissive of the views of highly experienced hosts who took the time to help you by posting a response to your question.

Marie82
Level 10
New South Wales, Australia

@Stephanie1244  not sure if u are a new host, but this is the NUMBER RULES not to accept this type of guest, or request, the guest is not going to be nasty when requesting to party in your house,  even above the 30s u are never sure if he will damage ur home or not.

NO PARTY rules is the number 1st rule for renting on ABB unless u live next door

Stephanie1244
Level 2
Oakville, Canada

Thanks all for your input. He told me they were expecting 50 guests and that's when I realized there was no way 🙂 It was going to be very good money for only 1 night rental but too risky (and yes, fairly new to hosting this property).