Air Cover for Guests

Air Cover for Guests

Hey all, this may be a naive question, but under the new Air Cover for Guests program, when Airbnb repeatedly says, "we'll refund them" does that mean that Airbnb has funding set up with which to refund guests for things like their "get what you booked guarantee" or does that mean HOSTS will refund guests?  I've been assuming this basic form of free-to-the-guest travel insurance will continue to come out of hosts' wallets, but everything I've seen and read just says, "we'll" refund with no mention of the hosts at all.  I guess I just want to clarify... who is "we"?    

16 Replies 16
Ricardo85
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

@Jennifer2682 

It is Arbnb that will bear the reimbursement costs

Ricardo

Se você achou esta resposta útil não deixe de dar um "Like".

Meu Perfil.

Coloque "@Ricardo". Assim eu recebo uma notificação.

@Ricardo85  @Jennifer2682 

Are you sure about this?

I have heard differently:  that they client support is taking unilateral decisions about cancelling, refunding or discounting a stay based on client grievance.

So no "insurance" except that Hosts will support cancellation costs and discounts decided by the "Air Cover" team.  Which is pretty much what was happening already anyway?

Can any @Emilie  @Sybe  @Quincy admins chime in on this?

Ricardo85
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

@Susan1188 

Before the public presentation of the new changes on Airbnb, a private presentation took place. And in this private presentation Catherine Powell explicitly said that the costs of "Air Cover for Guests" would be Airbnb's responsibility.

Ricardo

Meu Perfil.

@Ricardo85 
Key word:  "Responsability".

As in, they are responsable for deciding to refund hosts money?

Did they subscribe to some kind of insurance for this?  Or are they taking it out of their bottom line ?

I have already seen on other forums, a host getting docked 10% of the total stay unilaterally because of a water leak that was detected and immediately repaired same day as arrival and caused minimum nuisance to the guest.

@Catherine-Powell 

Dear Catherine, can you please confirm  what @Ricardo85  is saying?  Could you please tell us with some detail where the funds will come from to refund or discount the guest stay, if the guest has a grievance and the host does not agree?  If the guest does not read or follow instructions, then claims he can't check in?  Arrives outside of check in hours stated in the listing and then can't check in?  Etc.

And also would it be possible to perhaps publish your private presentation that included a small private group of hosts and let the rest of us know based on what criteria was this group of hosts selected.

Thank you so much Catherine!

Ricardo85
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

@Susan1188 

The video presented to the private group on May 9 was the same video released on May 11.

Ricardo

Meu Perfil.

@Stephanie should be included on this too.  There was initially a response to this thread from her that stated that Airbnb would bear the costs of refunds and reimbursements (I still have the email copy of that response).  But then the response was deleted and we were waiting on clarification.  I'm assuming since it's been crickets since then, that when Airbnb says "we'll" refund you... they mean US, the hosts.  Which is kind of what I always figured.   Basically the same old, same old, but now Chesky is shouting "refunds for all!" and "look how great we are!" from the rooftops, as inept Customer Service representatives pass hosts' money out like candy at a parade.      

Honestly though, at this point, it's almost the least of my concerns.  With this new release, longtime Superhosts with amazing reviews and stats are getting buried in searches and we're probably not going to be booking many guests through this platform anymore anyway. 

@Jennifer2682 

"... longtime Superhosts with amazing reviews and stats are getting buried in searches..."

So true...

Ricardo

Meu Perfil.

Well that would be great!  Thank you!  

Jean-And-Don0
Level 2
Langhorne, PA

Yes, would like a clear answer to that question also. Thanks for bringing it up

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Jennifer2682 @Ricardo85 @Jean-And-Don0 

I believe that it will eventually fall back on the host.  I cannot believe that the company will compromise their bottom line by funding refunds.

Helen744
Level 10
Victoria, Australia

@Jennifer2682, unless Airbnb start to extract a small insurane fee from the guest then when they say 'we' I suspect they mean 'us' H

Insurance

Emilie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Jennifer2682 @Jean-And-Don0 @Ricardo85@Lorna170 @Helen744

We've asked for some clarification on that, and will share with you here once we have more details! 

-----

Merci de jeter un oeil aux Principes du Community Center/ Please follow the Community Guidelines