Air conditioning not working

Air conditioning not working

Hey Everyone,

My husband and I are new to Airbnb - we are in our third month and so far so good!  Our experience has been positive as have our reviews. 
Unfortunately today has been stressful as our current guests have contacted us to say one of the two air conditioners at the property is only blowing out warm air - a 34 degree day so we do sympathise with our guests and we have been to lengths to get someone out to repair the ac.  Each repairer has advised it can’t be fixed due to the era and brand so we need to wait until tomorrow to refit with a brand new unit (which we will proceed with doing). 

My concern is how do we keep the guest happy in the meantime and what is the reasonable thing to do without making a loss?   The guest is already receiving a 20% discount and a $32 refund because of their change of dates.  So I feel we are already only breaking even if that. 

Any advise at this stage would be so appreciated! 

5 Replies 5
Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

Hi @Heath-and-Bridget0  to the world of hosting.

Sadly having air conditioning go on you, is better now, than later in the hosting game. Especially if two have gone at the same time, rather than across two different guest bookings.......

(half full glass 🙂)

Due to the central lock box and no linens supplied, I assume that you are off site hosts or not near by?

I notice that the listing states you have fans available.
Are these pedestal ones that can be moved?

If the 2 x air conditioners can be replaced tomorrow, then it’s only two days they will be inconvenienced? Are you replacing them with just cooling or reverse cycle including heating?  

Compensation:

- What are the temperature forecasts?

> screen shot the forecasts from the Bureau of Meteorology for documentation - noting specifically the dates. (This way if they complain to AIrbnb, you have proof it was only up to a certain temperature.)

Document all conversations, EVERYTHING, on the AIrbnb message board. Even if you recount a phone call conversation, stating for the record, you are recounting it here for AIrbnb.....

So also consider the number of days for the overall reservation, against the lost days of cool air. 10%? 50%?

I am also assuming they already reduced their length of stay, as you have given a refund. Something you never do till it’s over.

1. If you live nearby, I would consider dropping around with a bottle of wine, some chocolates or ice blocks/ ice creams for the kids (or adults). State (document) on the AIrbnb message board that you are very sorry that this has happened, but you are having them fully replaced as soon as possible ( day/date). Stating you will drop around with a “sorry” collection of goodies.  

2. Consider a portable air conditioner that can be hired or used if longer than 2 days for the space. Otherwise maybe buy one (% taxable receipt) and keep it in the locked shed for emergencies only.

3. Alternatively, offer them a free night or a %  off a future stay. This choice is seeing the issue, but also would not hurt the pocket at the current time, as you need those air conditioners replaced.

An observation about your listing:

It’s  lovely! 
The information is limited, so consider putting captions on the photos as a means of improving your descriptions. Eg: bunk beds room ( name the room or state a reminder you need to bring your own linen. Label the studio retreat room, Show if there’s laundry available for use etc etc.

So now you need to consider refining and adding to your house rules .....
Other than not really wanting the guests to hold big parties, you are allowing day events. Can this be just for the booked guests, or can they invite 40 family and friends for a birthday or day wedding bash? They may consider 100+ unacceptable!  ?? Ugh... Never assume your implied boundaries match that of the guests.

A guest mentions in a review that the backyard is fenced for the pets, you don’t. So if you are wanting to attract pets you need to rectify this, as I’m assuming the front yard isn’t fenced.

How many pets are allowed? Are they allowed on the furniture? Can they stay inside the house when the owners are at the beach, or are pets to be outside in the back yard or crated when the owner is away? (Going by info from other host threads on the CC, the destruction seems to happen when they are often left by themselves)

Will you charge a rate for pets or any deeper cleaning required? Etc etc. so have a solid think about it what you are offering, versus what you expect to be reimbursed on if there is damage.

another thought as I didn’t check, do you have a security deposit amount on your listing? Just thinking of Noel’s artwork etc...

Even though you do not supply linen, do you provide waterproof mattress protectors on the beds, to protect your investment? Many hosts like myself use two. A waterproof one under the more regular padded one.

🙂

I hope this gives you room for thought, regarding the air cons and expanding your descriptors and house rules for your own protection, as well as giving the guests greater information to work off..

Stay safe and enjoy the hosting ride and take care....     💐

Wow @Cathie19 you’re an absolute gem and a wonderful source of information.  I’ll certainly take some time this afternoon to make your recommended updates to our listing.  Unfortunately this weekends events have left a sour taste in our mouth and are unsure we will continue the listing past Summer. 

Our current guest has been vague with her commitment to continue her booking but we have sought support from Airbnb to ensure we are doing all that is required.   Today we will purchase and have installed a new unit ($$$ quite the hit), and hope that the next 4 nights of their stay can be enjoyed comfortably.  At this stage Airbnb has advised that they stay is still to be completed and that if they required a refund their request should have been lodged in the first 24 hours.  The main unit in the house is new and still working but because one of the children is sick the guest says that this is not sufficient (but the repairer has advised us it is). 

We will see what today’s brings and we really do hope it all works out in the wash and the rest of their trip can be enjoyed. 

But again a great big thank you! 

@Heath-and-Bridget0 , get the repairer to put the clarification of the main unit working enough for the space, in writing even a quick text message or email. This can always be saved as a screen shot, as an image, then placed on the AIrbnb message board for the guest and AIrbnb. Be absolutely as sweet and caring as possible, without dripping.....

“You are so sorry they have a sick child, that through circumstance, must be sadly affecting their holiday. However, they can still enjoy the fact that they are away, enjoying a different space, during this time.” Etc.. 

Let them know where the nearest chemist is if needed. (Be the source of help, even if not needed) 🌻

I only mentioned the reverse cycle air conditions / heating as an option if needed for your winter months. I would think with Covid19 still around for 2021, that you should enjoy locals travelling for get away as.........

BTW, you can also not have to make that long distance decision to open your booking calendar up, infinitum. You have that control!

I personally have my calendar CLOSED as the default setting. We use to travel a lot with short trips to Asia or interstate. (Cry, sob.....)

I open it up, only a month or two ahead at a time. This works for me as I get a better decision and lead time. I can keep certain dates blocked for sanity, when I’m busy at my own job and if family are visiting.
Guests are also currently booking closer to the holiday date due to Covid19 and border changes. They are also less likely to cancel if not booking too far in advance....

💐

All the best.

@Heath-and-Bridget0  "we are already only breaking even if that". Remove discounts and/or raise your rates. You say you are considering ceasing hosting because of this event. Why not make it worth your while and give it another chance. With time, it gets easier.

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Heath-and-Bridget0  I like @Cathie19's #1 or #3 suggestions.  Let's not, as hosts, train guests to expect a refund at every blip or unfortunate occurrence.  When things like this happen, I've always offered guests a free night.  No one has ever taken me up on it but it makes them feel cared for.  Good guests understand that things happen.  🙂  You're right on top of the situation and no one can ask for better than you've given.