Air-conditioning

Elaine266
Level 2
Coulsdon, United Kingdom

Air-conditioning

Hi everyone.. we are thinking of installing air-conditioning and would like to know how you all manage it with guests .. does it work out really expensive!? Say if a guest leaves air con on when they go out ? Are there different ways of controlling what they use? Welcome all of your feedback.. many thanks

7 Replies 7
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

There are many postings about managing heating and cooling systems,  @Elaine266. that you might find useful. Timers seem to be the favorite solution.  I have central air but my space is a room in my home and I am in control of the temperature.

Max would be 15c HR so maybe $3 day if they also opened the windows so it never cooled off...

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Elaine266

Be careful of guests from USA and Australia. The moment you stop heating they will ask for A/C . Starting already in March.  They can't survive without it even when outside temp is just 21 C. If you don't give them AC remote they will hate you. They will never ever shut it off... even when they are out for hours... or a day... They will cool the room on 19C or lower and require additional duvets in the middle of the summer. You will wonder if you host humans or pinguins. Make sure you wear a coat when you enter the room after they check out :))))

Oh yes, electricity bill = at least double

Valerie192
Level 10
Inglewood, CA

Hi @Elaine266 - What type of air con are you thinking about installing? Central or ductless individual units?

@Elaine266 - Here is a link to a previous thread that I started several months ago that might have helpful information. For what it's worth I installed 3 ductless units in my home and since then I have noticed my electricity bill has only gone up by a few USD a month. But I believe central could be a different situation. 

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/I-m-getting-A-C-Advice-on-how-to-coach-guests-around-usa...

Absolutely yes. Air conditioner is a very good benefit in a renting bussines. Especialy if the house is in a country with very hot or very cold weather.  The problem with elecricity bills can be solved by instalation of system such as in hotels. The guest should put the key from inside to put on the air condioner. I have installed my air conditioner here**. You can ask if they can make such a system.

**[Link removed - Community Center Guidelines]

Installing air conditioning in a property like ** can be a great way to enhance the comfort of your guests, especially during hot summer months. However, it's important to consider the potential costs associated with running an air conditioning unit. One way to minimize costs is to install a programmable thermostat, which can be set to automatically adjust the temperature when guests are away from the property. This can help prevent guests from leaving the air conditioning on all day, which can lead to higher energy bills. Another option is to provide clear instructions to guests on how to use the air conditioning unit and encourage them to use it responsibly. This can include setting a recommended temperature range, providing guidance on how to adjust the unit, and emphasizing the importance of turning off the unit when not in use. Ultimately, managing the use of air conditioning comes down to finding a balance between guest comfort and energy efficiency, and exploring different options to minimize costs while still providing a comfortable and enjoyable experience for your guests.

**[Link removed due to safety reasons - Community Center Guidelines