AirBnB Customer Service -- NOT!

Stephanie281
Level 2
Seattle, WA

AirBnB Customer Service -- NOT!

Be warned, if you have any problem as a host or as a guest, AirBnB will not help you.

We have twice had issues and AirBnB did little to nothing to resolve it.

First, a guest stole money and credit cards from our home, do not, I repeat, DO NOT, use Instant Booking. The "verified" means little to nothing when it comes to pursuing a thief. AirBnB would not give us the verified information so we could file it with the police report; they did not refund us any money and never followed up to our requests for help. The thief had rights to privacy apparently.

Second, over $200 USD were charged to our credit card (separate incident than one from above) and this morning Rhea's [AirBnB staff] only response was "may I have your email so someone can get back to you." She refused to transfer us to her supervisor nor the fraud division. She basically suggested one of our children had used our credit card. How insulting! 

Does anyone know if there is an alternative to AirBnB because frankly at this point, I am reluctant to continue using this "service"?

7 Replies 7
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I would suggest you reach out to them via Twitter about the theft. It is outrageous that they won't share details of the thief with the police/so you can claim on your home insurance. There is absolutely no reason for them not to do this. (I can see why they wouldn't give it to you, but not why they wouldn't share it with the police.

You can also approach your local media.

How did the theft happen  BTW- did they break into your personal space at the property?

Yes, perhaps a newspaper or other media to highlight how horrible AirBnB's customer service is would be fruitful. As a host you are truly without any recourse.

I don't have a Twitter account or other media accounts. I actually prefer to be more private.

The thief did break in to personal property and dug through every drawer, closet, etc. 

Hi I have been staying at Airbnb‘s I get great reviews lately I can see your frustration as a host but here is my frustration with customer service as a guest I am booking online and see one price then being charged a totally different price this is false advertising. Space so I do agree that customer service is horrible I’m getting a hold of the Better Business Bureau tomorrow as a customer.This is to do about this but all I can say is I’m writing my congressman and I’m getting a hold of Better Business Bureau they basically told me when I called they don’t really care do what you Gotta do because most of the customer service is not in this country it is overseas that’s why you’re not getting any satisfaction

I have stopped using AirBnB as a host becuase of the very poor customer service. AirBnB has been collecting an occupancy tax for the last year even after I have contacted them multiple times and they refuse to recognize that I do not live in the taxing district. I do stay in AirBnBs but it bothers me that they have near non-existent customer service.

Marilyn66
Level 2
Vancouver, Canada

my daughter was worried about such instances as I am severely walking impaired and when I was alone this weekend with the one male guest I actually felt that worry.  So there has been thefts because he was so aggressive I locked my door but when he checked out he was very polite but I met him outside.    I did at one point tell him I had no cash at all in the house the night before check out that is how aggressive he was.

Joanna85
Level 10
Las Vegas, NV

I am sorry that happened to you.

Twitter is THE BEST way to get issues resolved.  You send a message and they get back to you.  It is a process but that is the most effective way to get assistance from knowledgeable reps.  Nothing in Airbnb is designed for emergencies...it seems to me if you call and wait for an hour and need help RIGHT THEN, nobody ever is helped properly.  However, when you reach out via Twitter, usually the help is exactly on par.  Again, doesn't help when you are in serious need of a solution, so it's up to you to handle an emergency.

Also, remember, Airbnb is just a booking service.  It is your job to do your own due diliegence.  Think of Airbnb as a venue that connects guests and hosts and processes payments made by the guests who book your listing..that is it.  They are not liable for anything..............YOU are. They 'verify' so they can say they did their part and the rest is on you. They don't require you to be legal in your town--because they are just a booking service, it is up to you to know the rules where you are operating.   So treat is as such.  Don't use instant book if you want to vet who is coming to your home. Also, ask to see id or passport upon check in, so you can have their legal name.  Get yourself extra insurance and don't leave personal belongings out or things out in your home you don't want strangers to have access to.  Not to sound harsh, but ANYTHING of value or private in nature you don't want anyone to see or take should not be out for the taking, that's common sense.  I lock nearly EVERYTHING up...even the back gate, so guests can only access what I want them to access.  I have nothing in that space that I can't replace for $50..seriously...I don't even care when people say "Oh, the space is worn out" because that is code for my furnishings are used...yup, because spill and crumb and misuse and break and one night of damage on brand new top-of-the-line furnshings could take me six months of savings to replace (which the neither the guest nor Airbnb will replace for me), which is not the point of me renting out my space for mad money!  

Also, people forget the more they rent their space, the more chance for goofy and horrible.  It's a numbers game- the more dates you are booked, you are playing the odds which aren't in your favor for smooth, incident-free stays.  

Keep us posted on how Airbnb handles this.  I wouldn't expect much.  

Chas4
Level 2
Boulder, CO

AirBnB does have the worst customer service. It takes months to have issues addressed.