AirBnB removes guest's negative review for stating the truth.

Russell49
Level 10
Katoomba, Australia

AirBnB removes guest's negative review for stating the truth.

So 14 months ago I had a 0-1 review guest who left a disgusting mess of "DNA" all over the expensive quilt covers and tried to hide it, left dirty dishes all over and didn't clean up after himself. 14 months later AFTER his stay, he complained to me that it wasn't fair that I left him a negative review. I wrote it tactfully and honestly.

I stated in the review that he was new to the platform and that he left a mess on the quilt covers that he tried to hide, dirty dishes everywhere,etc....

AirBnB decided to remove the review stating it was against their policy. WTF? If a host cannot honestly review a guest's stay, it will only be a problem for other hosts in the future.

I am now so annoyed at AirBnB that on principle I will not be taking bookings for a while. Ratings and reviews are the hosts only and final option of fairness to warn other hosts of misfit guests. When this is taken from us, it sets a bad precedent.Between this action and removing my superhost status over 0.1 %, I have pretty much had enough with this company. They need to learn WHO provides their product and service. I simply feel AirBnB's business model has gotten worst in the last few years.

61 Replies 61
Ricardo85
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

@Sarah977 

You are not lying, just being sarcastic.

But your approach is much better. Start using it. Thanks!

Ricardo

Se você achou esta resposta útil não deixe de dar um "Like".

Meu Perfil.

Coloque "@Ricardo". Assim eu recebo uma notificação.

@Ricardo85  As Andrew pointed out, it wouldn't occur to me that a host who wrote "Great guests" was being sarcastic. Even if I could see the ratings. I would just wonder why the host would be contradicting himself and would discount that review and ratings entirely.

If a host said something like "Sure did appreciate having to relegate to the rag bag the week's worth of towels left mildewing in a pile on the floor", I would get that they were being sarcastic.

I am very new to AIRBNB - I set up as instant bookings without realizing the full implications. My trust was that only high rated guests can access IB.

I ended up with dreadful people on New Years - exceeded the number of guests, quilting me into accepting their mother as an extra guest . They left the place unbelievably dirty - 3 small kids with no toilet training, parents leaving dirty nappies and soiled beds; broken little ornaments, dirty feet and  food marks on walls, furniture etc.... I took photos and we spend an extra day washing every single item twice - not just linen and towels but duvets, pillows, mattress protectors and washing walls.

I would have never allowed these people in if there was an honest review ... Now I am wondering how to put through a review that is not going to backfire at me and won't be removed.

I am absolutely sure that these people know how to rig the system.

I am in the final hours of the review window

Advice welcome

Thank you

@Briana85 if you acquiesced to exceeding your max capacity you can't really fault the guests for that, imo.

My review would say "This guest left our place extraordinarily dirty; cleaning required X hours more than usual. We would not host them again."

@Briana85 I second what Lisa has said. To add to that, I think what got the OP's review removed was 'guest tried to hide it'. Airbnb will take down a review that gets subjective like that. No matter how tempting or what you may think about a guest, never cast aspersions. Just keep to the facts without going into explicit detail, be brief, neutral and unemotional.  

Thank you for sharing feedback. Emotional impact  is why I am so stressed about posting a review at all. These people called me on New Year's to tell me that they bring their mother to stay as well and made it sound as if I am a terrible person to deprive them from their reunion (which I couldn't do to another human after the tough year we all had in 2020).

I am apprehensive to post  a review and then deal with objections from the guest or them calling me directly. Thus for example , I didn't claim any damage on items. 

On another note - I feel it is a host responsibility to post honest reviews so that other hosts have a fair warning.

Kind thanks

@Briana85 I know it's easier said than done, but you have to try to take your personal feelings out of it and treat it like the profession it is.

If you succumb to letting guests make you feel like a terrible person, for simply upholding the rules you came up with for a reason, it's going to be an ongoing issue for you.

As far as a guest contacting you because you left an honest, less than favorable review, consider them nuisance calls or messages, and block the guest from contacting you further.

If they simply ask what they did wrong, in a non-aggressive manner, of course you can explain to them if they really don't get it and you're so inclined.

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

@Briana85 You could politely explain what they did wrong in the PRIVATE review section, which only the guest sees, not the public?  And keep the public review short & to the point, exactly as Lisa suggested. That way, other hosts are warned, but you have said nothing that could be taken down; no value judgments,  no mention of body fluids, just facts re mess.

@Colleen253 

The problem is, it wasn't subjective. Everything mentioned was factual. The problem here is that the guest simply didn't like having a tarnished review and AirBnB appeased him.

@Russell49 The bottom line is, when you say something like that in a review, you're opening the door to having it removed. 'Guest damaged the quilt covers' is fine. As soon as you add '... and tried to hide it', you've gone over the line. The review policy states to avoid making assumptions about a person's character. Airbnb would see that part of your review as irrelevant. 

All things considered here, it just makes sense to be super careful of the language we choose to use when reviewing, so as not to give any reason for Airbnb to take a review down. 

I respectfully disagree about crossing the line. I didn't assume anything about the person's character, but merely pointed out the truth through their own actions.

I suggest that when the excessively soiled quilt cover is turned inside out,sheets and towels wrapped over it and it's all rolled into a giant ball, then the manner was deliberate and consistent with trying to hide it. To remove the review over a "clutching at straws" type of technicality while missing the main point of the review suggests that AirBnB didn't care about the host let alone honesty about their guest.

I agree though that I may have to just stick to anything that may be simplified and not "in the realm" of opinion to give AirBnB any excuse. I didn't feel I did, but they were given an outting through this. Thanks for your comment.

@Russell49  In your case, it's a pretty sure bet that the guest was trying to hide it, but all Colleen is saying is that 

if we want to make sure Airbnb has no excuse to remove the review, we have to be savvy about wording it so it can't be construed as a violation.

I've actually had guests ball up all the bedding before, when there were no stains or damage to them at all. I guess they thought they were doing me a favor, that I could just grab the pile to wash.

So to say the guest was trying to hide it, while that might be perfectly true, is an assumption about their behavior and character, not a fact.

@Sarah977 "So to say the guest was trying to hide it, while that might be perfectly true, is an assumption about their behavior and character, not a fact".

That's exactly my point. You can't prove the intent in the guest's actions.

I'm only looking at it through the Airbnb lens. @Russell49 

Yes, I understand the angle you are trying to suggest. Thanks for your input.

I agree with you. I think some host live in different condition or life styles, and it is impossible all host has same rules . And same expectation of clean. Just like not all guest has same expectation on clean. I adding the extra question to all guest “ what do you see yourself on cleanliness: start one to five?” So, the guest will pay attention to how you care about cleanliness. Those who can lie about it. But at least , you can address if they are sharing common areas with you. Like, kitchen or shower rooms. And I also address if they don’t clean after themself. My cleaner will do it for them and bill them. Lol. That usually stop them to messed up .  Because more people looking for deal in Airbnb now. Make sure they understand the deal is “ clean after themself “ for your price. 
‘in our area, cleaner are expensive. “