AirBnb Indifference Towards Its Hosts...Their Main Revenue Stream

Jerry9
Level 3
Eilat, Israel

AirBnb Indifference Towards Its Hosts...Their Main Revenue Stream

Are there ANY Hosts that have TIRED of AirBnb's Indifference towards Hosts...and, TOTAL lack of suuport?  Is there any Host with NO complaint(s)...ie, TOTALLY HAPPY?  Would you like to have your Voice heard to AirBnb's youthful management?  What about "false" reviews given by Guests...and, Bnb won't do anything about it?  

Hope everyone is having a Great weekend...in spite of Bnb's immaturity!

44 Replies 44

Merle, as you're a Super Host you can go to Twitter and message @ AirbnbHelp.  I do that and always get an immediate response.

Mark-SL0
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

The indifference is demonstrated in this response to my conversation - I got through AND THEY RESPONDED - albeit about 12 hours after the conversation.  Just as well they are not running an ambulance service!

ABB have been taking commissions for three years and I have good guest ratings(higher than level 10 hosts!) but one cancellation in a year with 60 days notice.  This was due to guest being slightly "economical with the truth"

Crina P, Apr 26, 06:07 CDT:

Hi Mark,

My name is Crina and I am happy to help you.

First of all, thank you for contacting Airbnb. I can see from your profile that you're a very experienced user of our site so let me express my thanks for being such a great host. We really appreciate your contribution to our community!

It was nice speaking with you and I just want to let you know that I understand your concerns regarding the notification that appeared on your profile I just want to let you know that this is our way to inform you that you can improve your hosting standards.

Host Standards are our way of ensuring hosts provide guests with great experiences online and offline. The Host Standards program helps our hosts both understand expectations of them and equips them to meet and exceed these expectations.
Airbnb's hosting standards are:

Availability
Communication
Commitment
Check-in
Accuracy
Cleanliness
Overall experience

These standards can help you earn great reviews for providing excellent and dependable hospitality. You can see how you’re doing by checking ratings and feedback from your guests.

The best way to ensure that you receive reservation requests and booking inquiries that you want to accept is to accurately communicate your availability, reservation requirements, and house rules. If you can’t host anyone at the moment, you can always set your space to unlisted for now, and set it to listed later.

Thanks for reaching out to me for assistance today and for being a truly valuable member of our Airbnb family. Please know that we have a very informative Help Centre www dot airbnb dot com/help which you can consult for anything of interest to you. If you require further assistance, please do not hesitate to respond directly to this email, I'll do my best to take care of you!

Kind regards,

Crina
www.airbnb dot com/help

Kata3
Level 1
Amsterdam, Netherlands

Totally agree regarding indifference towards hosts and over sensitivity about guests.

I am dealing with first time users who don't even read the description, and are not even aware

of the time frames they have to react to our questsions. I am about to decline one more reservation due to lack of communication, no replies to my questions and I have a feeling airbn will tell me that I have declined too many reservations.

Is anybody out there reviewing the individual cases??? Why on earth isn't there any way to reach their customer service??

Upsetting situation... And also, there are way more reasons to decline booking apart from discrimination. Not only they don't give us the option to choose another reason they are also faulsly accusing as of discrimination, when the main reason is that they don't "train" their first time users and we have to deal with them and their stupidity. Extremely annoyed with all this...

Kaurus0
Level 1
Singapore

Indeed, i've had my share of lousy reviews by guests who can be emotional or non-logical at their point of review to get back at whatever trivial matters that happened.

And it's unfair for hosts to get suspended on negative reviews. This suspension need to be do away with.

AirBnb has canceled my "future" reservations!  Don't believe they have a "legal" right to cancel reservations?  There's a contract between Host and Guest!

@Jerry78

Karen - start a 'new' post with your future reservations cancellation question..... this is an old thread now and not likely to get much response.

And when you do - give a little more info so we can understand why the cancellation/s happened..... but in any case the legal 'contract' you mention is between you as a host and Airbnb - and the guest and Airbnb. Read your terms and conditions to understand more.

And it's interesting that you choose not to have a profile picture - why?

Best Wishes.

P.S. And to answer your other question about is anyone HAPPY?

I am. Absolutely. 100%.

I understand that Airbnb is not a local small company with lots of telephone staff waiting to chat with me on the telephone about an issue that, in most cases, could have been prevented with the correct preparation; avoided with the appropriate communication; or fixed with a little common sense. I understand that Airbnb is a HUGE worldwide conglomerate worth billions of dollars with millions of transactions happening daily - and they are never going to provide a telephone system to answer every frustration, query or mishap from the millions of hosts - they need to save that telephone system for true emergencies. From both guests and hosts. Just like the 911 or 999 emergency service. So 'Ask the Community' is mostly helpful, and email and twitter works, eventually. Find a fellow host or local host group if you want immediate answers to queries or just to share or vent a problem with. That is a human need that most companies these days cannot afford to provide through 'live' customer service reps (however young or old they may be).

And there are plenty of examples of hosts and guests who have been helped through dealing with Airbnb - and plenty of positive outcomes with claims and problems. But, just like an insurance company won't pay out on a claim without going through the correct procedures, and jumping through a few hoops, neither will Airbnb.

So @Jerry78 - I know you did not ask me to go into so much detail - so my apologies and my answer is not directed at you personally. But you raise a good point when you ask is anyone happy? I believe that the majority are - probably over 80% - and they just aren't taking the time to write about it here in the community forums.

Airbnb should produce an Annual Report detailing outcomes and outputs like - transactions, # of twitter posts, emails and telephone calls received, claims received, successfully dealt with, amount paid out, rooms booked, hosts, superhosts etc.... Then we would all have a better picture and understanding of the Community we all belong too.

Rachael, your response has the tone of an AirBnb employee?

@Jerry78

No.

I am who my profile says I am - an Airbnb user - both as a guest and a host...... but then I'm not the one with no profile pic - and a linked listing in another person's name (Jerry?), with no reviews...... I can see how that might make it easy to get confused.

Follow the guidelines and get a clear facial profile pic!

Don't think you have any right to tell me what to do...or, to be critical of someone?  

You may be a Host and Guest...as you state...however, willing to bet you're "indirectly" working for AirBnb?  Additionally, believe ALL Level 10 "Hosts" indirectly work for AirBnb?  I challenge you to prove me wrong!

just watch out, @Jerry78 , @Jerry9 ,@Karen, or whoever you are morphing into next: if you keep up your venting, you'll be one of those level 10 disgused Airbnb cronies yourself! Happy? You betcha! 

Jerry78
Level 2
Eilat, Israel

Is EVERYONE happy?

I'm 100% happy.  I've had wonderful guests, and the few problems I've had have been resolved by Airbnb with no fuss.  Every time I'm in contact with them they comment on my positive reviews and compliment me on my hosting.  I don't need the ego stroke, I'm pointing this out because I'm passionate about making my guests happy and it shows.  I've taken a great deal of time to understand everything about the site and the app and to use both to my advantage.  I ignore all of Airbnb's suggestions to lower my prices and keep firm control of them.  The higher my prices are, the better the guests.  If I get an email saying "I love your house but can't afford it," I just say I'm sorry, I don't offer discounts.  That weeds out the bad guests, in my opinion.  

Are they indifferent toward hosts?  I don't know, but I'm largely indifferent toward Airbnb!  I use them the way you use any tool - for their usefulness.  They list my properties, collect the money and pay me, and collect the occupancy taxes and pay the state.  Everything else is entirely up to me.  If they offer a new tool I think might be useful, I try it out.  If I don't want to use it, I don't.  Stop putting control into their hands and take control of your property yourself.  And figure out how to make yourself happy.  Don't expect them to do it for you.

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

I scanned the new Terms and certainly seems to me that there are illogicalities and contradictions. Many practices currently undertaken by AirBnB would seem to be against their own terms.

David

@David126 I think Airbnb is morphing and changing as it grows.  I am indifferent to it, I guess I have to take things that I like and focus on that and once it becomes a case that I"m unhappy more than I"m happy, I will stop lol.  Some things just make absolutely no sense to me...and lately in life--things outside of Airbnb--I'm finding myself scratching my head more and more, so I don't know--HAS The wORLD GONE A BIT MAD?!! Maybe it's me!

@Karen I think most hosts are happy....most hosts that have researched and read the policies of Airbnb and are working towards understanding the system and knowing the learning curve.  I see on the messageboards here that unhappy hosts are ones who have no experience with rental property (experience being the landlord-type, not the renter-type helps) or ones who understand that ultimately we are in the service industry once we open up our homes to others for money.  Once the 'honeymoon' period ends....you need a bit of thick skin to keep going and you need to just take the little things with a grain of salt.  There are a lot of small stuff in hosting that you just, as a host, cannot sweat too much or you will hate being a host.

Ozzy0
Level 1
New York, NY

I absolutely agree with this. I was forced to refund a lot of horrible guests, and whenever I requested money (like, guest clogging the toilet and leaving it like that for the other guest in the other room). And they never took down stupid reviews where they complain about the other guest but give me a bad rating.