Security cameras , a good idea or a guest deterrent?

Simon-And-Helena1
Level 2
Christchurch, New Zealand

Security cameras , a good idea or a guest deterrent?

Hi , 

we we have had a few things happen that makes me think it’s a good idea to put up 2 or 3 cloud based exterior security cameras . Things like extra guests turning up that have not paid.  a few outside breakages , guests frightened there may be prowlers etc . We do not live on site so we aren’t there to monitor what’s going on . We have just become superhosts and want to continue the high level of hosting we have worked to achieve 

i was hoping to hear from

people that have security cameras installed at properties to see if it works out well , or can it even be seen as a deterrent ? If I was a guest something that adds to guest security would not bother me ,  but I can understand it may bother others . I am aware they must be declared and I have no problem doing that .  

Before I make the investment , I was Hoping to gauge  the general feeling on having cameras monitor the property from those that have them .

thank you for any assistance you may be able to offer .

kind regards 

Simon and Helena 

2 Replies 2
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Simon-And-Helena1

Cameras are certainly a deterrent for all types of anti-social behaviour on and around your property - and can also make guests feel secure. But they are just a deterrent - and anyone who is determined enough will find their way around them. Also, be careful that you don't become a security cam addict - watching hours of footage to find something suspicious! 

As you say, make sure guests are aware there are exterior security cameras

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

The only guests that would be deterred by outside cameras are the sort of guests you wouldn't want to hosts.

CCTV is not expensive out all and you can get a system link to your phone and computer so it is accessible at all times. And which you can share with your local co-host.

Just make sure you add in information about it as Airbnb requires in your listing.