Whether Airbnb should delete guest bad review because host claim compensation for lost keys

Varsity0
Level 2
Baltimore, MD

Whether Airbnb should delete guest bad review because host claim compensation for lost keys

I host Airbnb in Baltimore. I met a guest who lost a set of room keys. I claim a compensation with the guest. The guest refused. I called the Airbnb help center to inqury what I should do .The airbnb help center staff  told me to open the door for the guest to host him. I did according to Airbnb advice.

The guest didnot admit he lost the room keys .But he said his room keys were stolen in Airbnb . He asked me to open the door at midnight. During his next stay, I opened the door for him many times. I have claimed for Airbnb resolution center and I didnot know the result.

The guest booked 3 times in consequence. The first time book is from Dec 28 to Jan 1. The second time book is from Jan.1 to Jan 3. The third time book is from Jan.3 to Jan.6. The guest lost his room keys on Jan 4. I claimed. The guest wasnot very happy. He gave me a bad review in the Airbnb for the first book on Jan 4. In fact he gave me a 5 stars reviews on Jan 3 for the second book. He gave me another bad reviews on Jan 6 for the third book.

My question is 
1  If guest lose or damage somthing , host claim. The guest will give bad review. What should the host do?
2 whether Airbnb should delete the guest 2 bad reviews?  If the guest wasnot satisfied with host ,the guest shouldnot rebook twice. 

If you can give me some advice, I am really appreciated.

14 Replies 14
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Varsity0   While I totally agree that guests should be responsible for losing or damaging things,  getting keys cut isn't particularly expensive, unless they are special types of keys. I don't think it's worth the hassle to fight about small ticket items if the guest refuses to pay, but I wouldn't host that guest ever again and I'd be sure to mention it in the review. If the loss of keys means you have to rekey the locks, that is a big expense and I'd pursue it.

What I'd be more concerned about is a guest saying they lost the keys, but in fact still having them, or making copies and entering your place to steal at a later date.

Why did this guest make 3 separate bookings for consecutive days? That seems kind of odd. I only see 2 reviews from this guest, not 3. And I see that you responded. That's about all you can do since Airbnb wouldn't remove the review. And your response makes it clear what happened, so don't worry about his bad review- no one will pay attention to it.

Varsity0
Level 2
Baltimore, MD

Hello Sarah,

Thanks a lot for your write.

1 The keys are not easy to make which is worth $ 100.
2 How to prevent the problems you mentioned of steal?
3 I am a newer. I wantto be a superhost. So every guest given scores are important for me. About the third book review, Because I didnot write now, you cannot read. But I am sure it is a bad review. Because I provide 24 hours service with low price , some guests will rebook several times in consequences.
4 I am not happy  for Airbnb answer which is not a malicious reviews .
5 I wantto know how I can refuse to host the guest if he refuse to compenate?

thanks a lot.

Varsity 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Why don't you get an electronic key lock and then guests can't lose the keys.

Please respond to the guests review and point out their previous positive review and that the reason the second review is not so positive is that  they left you a retalitatory review because you asked them to cover the costs of the keys they lost to your listing and they refused to pay for them.

Hello Helen,

I give three keys for the guest. These keys are electronic keys. But the guest said the keys were stolen outside. I donot know how to prevent it later. Pls tell me more,thanks.

Thanks a lot, I will write clearly in my respond review to the guest. But I will get 2 bad reviews, I feel verrry sad. I wantto be a superhost. 

Varsity

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

@Varsity0 You can an electronic key lock where guests just enter the last four digits (automated through Airbnb)  of their mobile so no keys are required.

I don't really understand what you meaning by giving guests a physical 'electronic key'.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Varsity0

We had the same situation 3 times in 2,5 years of hosting.

When our guest lose the key we have to change 2 locks and make new keys : 4x for the building's entrances, 1x new master key, 2x apartment key + the locksmith instalation.

As all keys and locks (except for the building) are special keys with a serial number and are unpossible to copy without a card - it all costs 100$ or even more if outside working hours.

All 3 groups of our guests willingly paid for it.

To switch to code locks we should install 3 of them and still our guests would need additional 2 keys for the building and the remote controller for the parking (which btw with coding and insalation guy arrival costs additional 100$)

Varsity0
Level 2
Baltimore, MD

Hello Branka & Silva,

You are so lucky your guests are willing to compensate your keys. But my guest refuse to admit it and ask me to open the door at 3AM in the morning and later ask me to open the door for him many times. 

I have asked Airbnb resolution to join the claim between the guest and I. I am waiting for the news from Airbnb help center. If I got it,I will tell you here.

Today the bad guest complainded me for Airbnb because I provide inconviniece service and he slept in the living room. I am very shocked to the guest. If the guest didnot lose his keys, why he asked me to open the door for many times? why he slept in the living room not his own bedroom? I opened the living door for him that day and then talked to him where your keys were. The guest pretended to sleep and not talk to me. So I left. But its 3Am and I was wakend up and cannot go to sleep again. I judge the guest has lost his room keys. So I call the Airbnb Help Center to ask what I should do. The help center staff told me to open the bedroom for him to host him. I have done all for the guest.But the guest donot have any thanks. I am verryyy sad.

I apply for Airbnb to delete the guest bad reviews ,but Airbnb refused to do.

Thanks again for your share. Wish you have agood day.

Varisty

Varsity0
Level 2
Baltimore, MD

I get an email from Airbnb help center today. I will get compensation of the lost room keys from Airbnb. But the guest bad reviews cannot be delete.

@Varsity0

when he will check out give him 3* for everything and thumb down. It will prevent him for instant booking your place again.

Set your booking requeirements to "guest have positive reviwes from other hosts"

If you already have another his booking in the future contact Airbnb and say you are inconfortable to host him again and ask Airbnb to cancel his future stay.

Hello Branka & Silvia,

Thanks a lot for your advice. I will do. Wish you have a good day!

Varsity

@Helen3@Sarah977@Branka-and-Silvia0

I do not know how to open a new discussion topic. Therefore I write here to ask for advice.

My question is - Can my response given to a guest review - can it be erased?

I had a guest who complained that I do not have a CABLE TV, although it was written that I had one. Well, in my response I wrongly answered that I did not have in my description a Cable TV, but only that I receive many foreign channels. 

He rated me 3 for accuracy because of not having a Cable TV. But he was wrong, and I was wrong as well. I have a Cable TV, the problem is that in Germany and England when you have a Cable TV you can receive  280 channels in Germany and 160 channels in England - for free from the Satelite, and in our country we are not having free Satelite channels added to the Cable TV which we are paying.

There is something more with this guest. I told this guest that I have problems with hearing - I wear 2 hearing aids, and it was an insult to give me 4 for communicarion! 

And he rated me 4 for pricing - although I paid all his stay, as he broke my toaster and I had to buy a new one, I thought - o.k. I am not going to bother him to ask for compensation as I knew the handle was not working properly - but at least it was there, was not broken...

And writing that it is 10+ residency - but giving such ratings on the separate categories, and even rating 4 stars for averall? And he told me he wants to rent my flat for 6 months in future...

Hello Lilly,

I donot suggest you host the guest. Pls consider it carefully. Good luck.

Varsity

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Unfortunately you can't remove your review @Lilly28

I agree with @Varsity0 doesn't sound like this would be a good guest for a long term let.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Lilly28

I am affraid your answer to his review is not editable. But don't worry, as you already said - every country is different.

To prevent such comments in the future you could write in your listing's description something like:  cable tv with xx paid domestic/satelite programms. (or whatever you have)

If you often get such complains and if your prices could cover it you may think about buying a smart TV  and then purchase Netflix subscription, it is not expensive.