Airbnb Paying Less than they are supposed to?

Luis213
Level 2
Cartagena, Colombia

Airbnb Paying Less than they are supposed to?

Good morning everyone!

It's my first time posting here. I'm from Colombia and english is my second language so excuse me for any mistakes.

I've been hosting for a couple of years now and I've had my bank account (International bank account) as my main payout method. Until this week I've always received my payments from Airbnb Payments Uk without any problem. They arrive on time and the exact amount I'm supposed to be paid out.

But this week I've received some Airbnb payouts from the sender: Worlpay Ap Ltd. I've noticed that payouts that are more than $500 dollars I'm receiving $5 dollars less (Like a commision) and payments that are more than $1000 dollars I'm receiving $10 dollars less. When the payments were made via Airbnb Payments Uk no commission was charged. But now that it's made via Worldpay Ap Ltd I'm starting to get this commissions. Does someone else have this problem? If you did how did you manage to fix it?

I've contacted Airbnb but customer service apparently has no idea what Worldpay is. 

Thanks!!

40 Replies 40
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Luis213,

Next time if Airbnb CS has no idea what Worldpay is, direct them to:

https://www.worldpay.com :>)

It's main office is in The Netherlands (Amsterdam), but there is a UK section containing:

Worldpay UK LTD, Worldpay Ap LTD , based in London.

Could it be the commision is charged by your bank ?

Best regards,

Emiel

Luis213
Level 2
Cartagena, Colombia

Thanks Emiel for you answer! I told them it was the method they were using to send the transfer.

I checked with my bank and they told me they don't charge commissions on incoming international transfers. The bank profits only on the exchange rate which they trade the dollars I receive but not on commissions. I've received a lot of transfers to my account the last couple of years and I've always received full amount. Even this week I received a 3,000 payout from Airbnb Payments that charged no commission. But when the sender of the Airbnb payouts is  WorldPay I dont receive full amounts on my payments. 

I'm attaching some pictures for better understanding. In the Airbnb payouts screenshot you see the payout I'm supposed to receive. In the other screenshot you see the payouts I receive on my bank. Check that some are missing 5 or 10 dollars when they are sent from Worldpay. But also check the transfer of 3,000 somthing dollars from Airbnb Payment where I got full amount because it was from Airbnb Payments Uk and not Worldpay. The ones marked with red comments are the ones you should compare

What they paid out.pngWhat they should pay.png

Emiel1
Level 10

@Luis213  ,

OK, it is interesting to see this differences. As a fellow hosts i have no idea what caused this, but form now on I will keep an eye on my payouts (which until now all came from Airbnb UK) ! It is clear Airbnb sent you initially the right amount, but somewhere in the transfer process money is taken. If it is not your bank charging commission, it could be Worldpay (but i doubt...), so as @Linda108  suggest: ask them. Unfortunately you can not contact the Airbnb payout office in London directly, so the Airbnb CS ("we have no idea what Worldpay is, have a nice day") is your "first line".... But i would sent them a message via the contact form. Maybe also ask the question on Twitter at account 'AirbnbHelp', they are rather Smart over there.

Best regards,

Emiel

Thanks Emiel! I just confirmed with a fellow Airbnb host which commented some minutes ago @Olga66 about this. She also noticed a $5 charge on her payments that are now from Worldpay Ap and not Airbnb Payments Uk. And as said by @Linda108 it can add up to something meaningful overtime. I will contact Worldpay right now and let you know to solve this issue once and for all. Will let you know. Thanks!

so you are lucky! Worldpay charged me 47 euro for each transfer.....in 10 days they have taken 799euro as commissions.....and nobody from airbnb can tell me what's happen.....they are playng a game...... 

@Anna2040 Wow that's insane!! You should try changing your payout method ASAP. That's a lot of commission! Fortunately I haven't had any other transfers sent by Worldpay.

Unfortunately here in Morocco Paypall can't be used.....i don't have other choise...this a real frode ...and airbnb knows very well the problem ...but they don't want to take their responsability.....and pay back money stolen!

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Luis213   Is there some reason that you are not able to contact WorldPay?  I would think the information you seek would be available by their customer service.  A 10% service charge, if that is what it is, can add up fast!  Good luck.

Hello Linda! Thanks for your reply!

I will contact them since Airbnb wasn't much help. And yes it can add up really fast. I have 18 listings so this worries me since it can add up to something meaningfull which I didn't have to pay before.

I will contact them and let everyone know. Thanks everyone for your help!! 

@Linda108 Hello!

Just contacted Worldpay and they told me to contact Airbnb since they were the ones that made payment to me via Worldpay and are officially their clients. Customer service on Worldpay told me that they can't solve this issue since I'm not a client of them and don't have a Customer ID. 
So in conclusion my bank isn't charging the fee, Airbnb claims they aren't charging the fee, Worldpay IS charging the fee but they can't solve my problem since I'm not a client of them and apparently Airbnb wants to send all payments via Worldpay and not Airbnb Payments Uk. 

I was doing a quick calculation and this could mean about $400 dollars on commission monthly which will be deducted from my payouts. 

I will contact AirbnbHelp on twitter like @Emiel1 suggested to see if I can get a different answer over there.  

Screen Shot 2019-02-20 at 3.21.28 PM.pngScreen Shot 2019-02-20 at 3.21.39 PM.png

Emiel1
Level 10

@Luis213,

I looked into Worldpay website and it seems they only charge their customers (The companies like Airbnb they are transferring money for). They do not charge the recipient of the money, but YOUR bank can charge you for the final processing of the transaction. I also remember a story telling in certain countries transactions higher then a certain amount are screened for possible "money laundring", which screening effects in charging a fee for the recipient. But there must be some official rule or law, and you prabably would have known. In the community there are also postings (Search  "worldpay") stating that on the destination (bankaccount) it is difficult to recognize such Worldpay transactions as being an Airbnb payout (so maybe considered as a "suspicious" transaction ?)

Hope this helps,

Emile

Olga356
Level 3
Santa Marta, Colombia

Hola, a mi me sucede lo mismo he enviado correos a ayuda a AIRBNB y no me dan un arespuesta clara al parecer hay un tercer banco involucrado en la transaccion ya que siempre Airbnb Payments UK Ltd llegaban los pagos completos sin problema ahora con Worldpay Ap Ltd descuentan $5USD por la tranferecia; me pareceria desleal que esta empresa tenga relacion directa con AIRBNB cobrando una comision la cual pueden sencillamente omitir ya que el banco "BANCOLOMBIA" no cobra por la recepcion de tranferencias internacionales, se me hace dificil mantener la plataforma de hospedaje ahora con estos descuento ya que era la opcion mas favorable para los pagos aun si la TRM a la que se cambiaba la modena fuera menor. Alguien podria ayudarnos elevando esto a una persona de soporte de AIRBNBprueba AIRBNB.png

Hola @Olga356 ! Como estas?

Viendo tu respuesta me hace pensar de que puede que tenga que ver con nuestro país o depronto paises de sur america en general. Yo contacté a Bancolombia y me dijeron que no cobran comisión y Airbnb me dijo lo mismo entonces el que se está quedando con esa comisión es Worldpay que no se en que momento y porque está haciendonos los pagos a nosotros. Los contactaré para ver si me dan una respuesta al respecto. 

Te informaré si recibo alguna respuesta de ellos al respecto.

Olga356
Level 3
Santa Marta, Colombia

Hola Luis seria excelente por que se que muchos de los anfitriones de Colombia tenemos ese meteodo de pago por defecto ya que es el que menos costos de operacion genera; al servicio al cliente de AIRBNB repiten como robots que es nuestro banco el que hace el cobro cuando el mismo banco por escrito me indico que ellos no hacen ningun cobro, esto es muy importante ya que en la informacion empresarial de AIRBNB el que tiene a cargo el pago directamenbte es Airbnb Payments UK Ltd. no Worldpay; me parace que podrian estar haciendo una estafa cobrando una comision que no deberian cobrar poniendo un intermediario.AIRBNB 2.png