Airbnb Scam Text Message Warning (Smishing)

Julieanna0
Level 10
San Antonio, TX

Airbnb Scam Text Message Warning (Smishing)

Has anyone else been getting these text messages (supposedly) from @Airbnb?  I am attaching a screenshot of 3 different texts I have received.  The all start out by saying "Your Airbnb verification code is: XXXX."  However, they have been delivered during the night when I have been sleeping, and I cannot figure out the correlation to any legitimate activity re my Airbnb account that these codes could possibly be associated with.

I have refused to open any of the text messages as this can be dangerous.  (smishing)

Just really curious to know if anyone else out there is getting these.3 different scam (phishing?) Airbnb text messages3 different scam (phishing?) Airbnb text messages

Julieanna
15 Replies 15
Liv
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Julieanna0,

Thank you so much for flagging it! I have posted about this here.

The tech team is working on solving the issue. In the meantime, please ignore those text messages.

Thanks,

Liv

Julieanna0
Level 10
San Antonio, TX

To read more about this, follow the thread here:  https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Help/Verification-code-sent/m-p/1406428# 

I have just finished filing a report with the FTC, and would encourage everyone in the US to file a report as well:  https://reportfraud.ftc.gov/#/assistant,  After all, part of their duty, as stated on their website is to protect us from, at the very least, bad business practices.  I think we should all be concerned that these texts are the result of some sort of Airbnb hack.  As we know, our personal and financial information is tied to our phone numbers on file with Airbnb.  If enough people file a complaint with the FTC, at least it will bring a fresh and unbiased set of eyes to this potentially harmful problem.  If Airbnb has been hacked, there is no telling where our information will end up or how it will be used.  Airbnb's answers of "We don't know" or "It's a test" or "Just block the texts" are all unacceptable and would NEVER BE ACCEPTED by the general public were this another company such as PayPal for example.  Airbnb is a platform that has access to our financial information as well as our personal information.  They should be held to the same standards as any other company out there!!  A "support ambassador" telling us to go read the comments on this community forum, IS NOT A SOLUTION!!   If something malicious has been installed or your phone has been infected, this will affect ALL of the information and apps on your phone; not just Airbnb's app.

I continue to receive these text messages,--now into my second week of receiving them.  Guess the tech team at Airbnb doesn't work very fast.

First week of textsFirst week of textsSecond week of textsSecond week of textsI finally reported it to the FTC on February 10th, 2021I finally reported it to the FTC on February 10th, 2021

Don't be intimidated as you start to fill out the FTC form here:  https://reportfraud.ftc.gov/#/.   Simply select "something else" in order to progress to the next page.  Mine is now filed and at least I feel better that I have done something rather than sit around and accept Airbnb's pathetic excuses or explanations,--if they can even be called explanations as it doesn't appear that they know what's going on.

Julieanna
Robyn52
Level 2
Australia

Yes! I also received my first overnight. Haven’t opened it for the same reason.

I am based in Australia.

@Robyn52  Suddenly I am getting the messages again.  As of yesterday, I have been receiving at least one per day.  This is so shameful on @Airbnb's part! 

Julieanna
Alice1088
Level 1
Presteigne, United Kingdom

Hey @Airbnb I just received one too. Based in UK. 

@Alice1088I am continuing to get them, unfortunately.  No explanation from Airbnb as to why this is ongoing.

Julieanna

Screenshot_20211015-201507_Messages.jpg

Just happened to me. I noticed the scam had a code the sign in post didn't. I'm glad I'm overtly paranoid. 

Thanks for posting it. Now I'm even more paranoid. lol...

I wonder what they get if you paste the code on the site. 

Now I'll spend 3 hours checking credit cards, bank accounts; HELL, I'll even look in on my hot wallet crypto. No stone unturned...

PS, and off subject. If you have crypto, invest in a cold storage wallet. They prevent weird things like that text from worrying you to death. 

Be well.

Julieanna0
Level 10
San Antonio, TX

Just now happened to me.  (AGAIN!!). So sick and tired of @@Airbnb denying that they know anything about this!  If this was ANY other company, they would have to give an account and investigate!

Julieanna

Screenshot_20211015-204728_Chrome.jpg

Thanks for the link. It WAS a little intimidating. Lol

No such email 

Agreed. Have they threatened to close your account ? 

Catherine2982
Level 1
Battle Ground, WA

Yes I just found one

I just got 2 in the last 5 min.  I haven't ever done Airbnb, just browsed months back.

Freaked me out because my tenant just went nuts and hopefully he'll move soon.  So I was thinking maybe he signed me up for something as he has my email and phone.  I reset my password.  Anyway, found this forum googling the text.