Airbnb advertising in the UK - ALARMING!

Jules19
Level 2
Newport, United Kingdom

Airbnb advertising in the UK - ALARMING!

Currently, Airbnb is showing a 30 second ad on TV in Britain, showing a family COMPLETELY wrecking a beautiful Airbnb property, supposedly treating it "as their own"... Mum is throwing flour all over the countertops while kids help with making a "fun" meal, the carpet is strewn with either food or pillow feathers, toys and junk all over the place. We run an absolutely immaculate Airbnb property, and have found that the 70 or so families who have been through it respect it enough to leave it as they find it, with almost 100% of guests really making a good effort. While we obviously encourage our guests to have a good time and not be too precious about staying here, we think this particular ad sends out ENTIRELY THE WRONG MESSAGE!

If we had guests as portrayed in the ad doing that to our place, we would shortly be out of business, disheartened and disappointed. Who thought up this storyline, and was there any consideration given to the poor hosts who have to clean up, rather than the "cool" guests who relish in this display of reckless disregard for another's home? I'm amazed no-one at Airbnb picked up on this at an early stage of production, since it's totally inappropriate to show this sort of thing to the public. Carte Blanche for the less-caring part of society who think it's just a bit of fun... Trust me, from our perspective, it's not.

Please rethink this!

Jules & Sarah **

3 Replies 3
Michael477
Level 10
Cholula, Mexico

Hi @Jules19:

So you are happy.... theer are many host out there, who just got active and their first hosting experience was a disaster 😞

Do you have any link on the web to see that ad?

Regards

Michael

Saludos
Michael
Bridget0
Level 10
Redmond, WA

I have seen similar ads with the family draping linens over moved furniture to make a fort, all kinds of things completely not appropriate or host  friendly. 

And i I thought the same thing, did they even consider for 1 second what that means from the host perspective? I think not at all. 😞

@Jules19

Please send us a link!

Even hosts here in Amsterdam should see this!

Simply posting is not enough, so we can all only chime in and let ourselves be heard when we know which ad you are talking about.

Thanks!