Airbnb do not pay hosts

Rebecca872
Level 2
San Roque, Spain

Airbnb do not pay hosts

We have just had a guest stay for a month Airbnb paid us half the fee, the guest has left and Airbnb only paid us half the amount, Airbnb emailed us after they have left and have said they are not liable to pay us

now airbnb say they are not liable for this, utter thieves Airbnb have cost us £600 and clearly seem to be keen on handing out free holidays

19 Replies 19
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Rebecca872 

Did the reservation ended normally or was it cancelled ?

Was there a issue with the guest ?

Nothing was cancelled, the guests arrived over 4 weeks ago, Airbnb only emailed us today saying there was a problem with the payment, then asked us to contact the customer to pay us after they had left

I am appalled that Airbnb didn’t contact us when the guests arrived 4 weeks ago. Just to also be clear the guests were very happy with their stay and we had no problems with them, so they get a half price holiday and Airbnb tell us they aren’t liable for this, how can this happen, surely this is why we use sites like Airbnb to ensure payments are handled correctly

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Rebecca872 

So did you contact the guest about the payment issue ?

If it was a "long term stay" (28 nights or more)  payments are usally made in installments. But why did Airbnb only pay half of the the bookingprice as first installment ?

And yes, they are responsible for charging the guest for the reservation and payout to you.

(Allthough when charges for second (and subsequent installments, if any) fail, Airbnb can not do much to get the money).

So maybe contact Airbnb again.

Best regards,

Emiel

We shouldn’t have to contact the guests for payment, that’s Airbnb’s job and what we are paying them for, yes it was over 28 days, but they stayed for 35 days before Airbnb contacted us to say there was a problem, I assume with the 2nd instalment, but nobody told us this booking was being paid in instalments and surely Airbnb have a duty to collect these instalments before their stay or inform us beforehand that there was a problem. Not 1 week later and the day after the customer has left. We have hosted 100’s of stays in the last 4 years and this experience leaves a very bitter taste especially as Airbnb still take their service charge. We contacted Airbnb but they made it clear to us they are not liable for this

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Well actually Airbnb does tell you under its long term booking policy @Rebecca872  that guests pay monthly in advance for longer bookings.

Sorry it's not clear from your posts. How long in total did this guest stay for.

Did you get paid for the first month in accordance with Airbnb's long term booking policy?

I appreciate you shouldn't have to ask the guest directly for funds, but if that means you get paid.....

@Rebecca872 @Linda108 @Helen3 @Emiel1 

Even my guests contacted Airbnb to ask them why they didn't pay me (!) as they became friendly with members of my team (they stayed for 28 nights l) so they sent a 1 cent extra payment with a message to Airbnb to ask them why they don't release the 2,107 USD owed to me for a successful stay.

All my payout methods are verified and have been for weeks.

This is simply atrocious behaviour on Airbnb's behalf.

BEWARE ! If it happens to me you can be next in line.

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Rebecca872   I am trying to understand the situation. You had a booking for 28 days and then it was extended to 35 days.  Is that right?  You received some payment and then did not receive payment for additional days?  Possibly the guest used one form of payment that is no longer working so unless the guest changes the payment, Air BNB cannot get the money.  What has happened when you communicate with the guest?  If they were good guests that just changed their payment form while extending the stay, they may not be trying to get a free room and will forward the balance.  Not ideal but worth your stepping in.  Good luck!!  

We had a booking for 42 nights they left after 35 saying they needed to leave early due to personal reasons, which I suspect was probably Airbnb chasing them up for payment. Airbnb contacked us the day they left saying there was a problem with the 2nd payment and predictably the guests are not responding to us. We have a strict cancellation policy, so we should be paid in full, it’s is absolutely Airbnb’s responsability to do this in our view, as they are the ones who handle all payments. We have called them Airbnb several times in the last 10 days and they have said they will call us back and they haven’t done so.

in my view this behaviour is indefensible, I have a good mind to start cancelling bookings and move my business elsewhere.

Airbnb are basically thieves.

They didn't send me thousands of dollars owed to me despite that the stay was a 28 night stay and completed successfully.

I have three verified payout methods and everything is in order but they just ignore me since more than 8 days and before they claimed to have a technical 'glitch' that prevented the money from reaching me.

Here is the screenshot so you can see for yourselves what thieves Airbnb are that they don't release money for 48 days already.

Find alternatives to this crappy company!

Screenshot_2022-04-21-11-45-57-249_com.airbnb.android.jpg

It is now 50 days since my first ever guests checked in and completed a successful 28 night stay and I am still not paid.

After being ignored totally by the Airbnb 'support' for 9 days I was finally contacted by a couple of the CS representatives.

I will show you the screenshots of the exchange and make it of it what you will.

Airbnb knows perfectly well that my bank in Armenia is under sanctions so even the bank's website is blocked in many countries and that I am outside Armenia since more than 4 months and am not able to return to Armenia to get hold of any of my funds due to liquidity problems.

Despite this, Airbnb refuses to issue me with any emergency funds and for a month and half repeats the same lame excuse that they need more time to 'investigate' why thousands of dollars are 'stuck' for almost two months despite the three verified payout methods that are in my name and the name of a member of my team and both payout methods are for destinations OUTSIDE Armenia in countries where no legal entity is sanctioned in any way (specifically India and Georgia).

**[Private conversation removed in line with the Community Center Guidelines]

- - part 2 of screen shotsScreenshot_2022-04-22-09-46-31-010_com.airbnb.android.jpg

- - part 3 of screen shots Screenshot_2022-04-22-09-46-38-940_com.airbnb.android.jpg