Airbnb payments taking longer

Answered!
Lucy497
Level 2
Cambridge, United Kingdom

Airbnb payments taking longer

Hi everyone,

I just wondered if anyone else in the UK was waiting longer for payments from airbnb since they switched to Citi bank Ireland?

I used to get payments on the day there were released and am now waiting 4-5 working days. I realise this is still within the agreed time of the policy, but it is quite a change in the experience. 

I'm guessing they changed because of Brexit?

Lucy 

1 Best Answer
David192
Level 10
Norwich, United Kingdom

Hello there,

Yes, this has happened to me this week. A payment was made (apparently) by AirBNB on Oct 2 but it still isn't in my account as of the afternoon of Oct 4. For years now, a payment made by AirBNB in the morning would be in my account by 1pm on the same day at the latest.

My previous payment (made by AirBNB on Sept 30) got to my account the same day. Curiously, that payment is still showing as status 'Processing' on AirBNB. The payment prior to that (made Sept 27) also hit my account the same day, as did all the ones prior to that. The Sept 27 payment is no longer at status 'Processing'.

Before looking on these forums, I phoned AIrBNB Help to ask them what had happened. The person just stuck to the script and said 'It can take 9 days'. I had already explained that for years now, it has been received by my bank on the same day. I asked for a payment reference which he said he would send. It hasn't arrived.

Can other UK hosts tell us if the payments are now received on the third business day, instead of the same day, or does it now vary? Really frustrating that AirBNB Help knows nothing about this.

View Best Answer in original post

11 Replies 11
David192
Level 10
Norwich, United Kingdom

Hello there,

Yes, this has happened to me this week. A payment was made (apparently) by AirBNB on Oct 2 but it still isn't in my account as of the afternoon of Oct 4. For years now, a payment made by AirBNB in the morning would be in my account by 1pm on the same day at the latest.

My previous payment (made by AirBNB on Sept 30) got to my account the same day. Curiously, that payment is still showing as status 'Processing' on AirBNB. The payment prior to that (made Sept 27) also hit my account the same day, as did all the ones prior to that. The Sept 27 payment is no longer at status 'Processing'.

Before looking on these forums, I phoned AIrBNB Help to ask them what had happened. The person just stuck to the script and said 'It can take 9 days'. I had already explained that for years now, it has been received by my bank on the same day. I asked for a payment reference which he said he would send. It hasn't arrived.

Can other UK hosts tell us if the payments are now received on the third business day, instead of the same day, or does it now vary? Really frustrating that AirBNB Help knows nothing about this.

Lucy497
Level 2

I would say my payments are taking much longer David. Like you, I would get them normally, until a month or so ago, on the day they were released. The last payment I received was 'released' on 12th October and I received it on the 17th. My next payment from a guest who stayed with me on 13-15 October has not even been released yet. I am frustrated because:

1. there was no prior warning about the change

2. when I messaged airbnb they said my bank, Santander, was at fault - I said I make pretty much instantaneous transfers all the time!

3. airbnb wouldn't admit they had changed anything, but I can see from my bank statement the account has changed

4. now I don't really know when the money is going to arrive

Generally I have been super impressed with everything at airbnb in my almost 3 years as a host, but this situation as been poorly handled. The messages have a very scripted feel so you don't feel that anyone is actually listening to what you are saying.

Deborah798
Level 1
City of London, United Kingdom

I'm experiencing the same. It now seems longer than when I started hosting at the end of 2015. I haven't done anything about it because I'm aware they will 'stick to the script'....

Lucy497
Level 2

I tried to explain all of this to Airbnb and they just kept repeating the same thing that they payments were being made within the policy time frame. I repeated a number of times that there had been a huge change in my experience but they just seemed unable to engage with what I was saying, so I gave up! Sigh.

Catherine1093
Level 2
Bristol, United Kingdom

Absolutely getting the same as you Lucy, since switching to Citibank Ireland I have been waiting for 4-5 days from payout date, before that I would get payments the next day. It is disappointing to hear they are not acknowledging it is from their end.

Thanks for saving me from calling though!

Susan17
Level 10
Dublin, Ireland

Penny291
Level 1
Tenby, United Kingdom

It’s now taking 5 working days to receive payments instead of 1. Although this is still within the Airbnb terms it would have been polite to have been notified of the change. 

Any  changes regarding payments or banks which are not communicated can make people feel very jittery. These are uncertain times in the  UK and hosts may be feeling anxious. 

Lucy497
Level 2

Absolutely.

Helen0
Level 10
Manchester, United Kingdom

I came on here to post the same query. I have been hosting for over 7 years and I always used to get payouts cleared into my bank account within 2 or 3 working days. Since they started show up as from Citibank Ireland on my account instead of Airbnb, they are taking over a week to arrive. I am currently waiting on over £500 of payouts for completed stays, and often more than one further guest has come and gone before I get paid - it's stress-inducing and tiresome to have to keep checking up on what I've been paid for and what I'm still waiting for. I wish Airbnb would have the courtesy to inform hosts when they are making changes that impact on the fundamentals of what keeps their business afloat. Without hosts, Airbnb would have no business to profit from!

Kate703
Level 2
Taunton, GB

Same here - it's very frustrating.  Also, guests checked in yesterday and here we are - 8.10pm the following day and the payment hasn't been processed yet.  This is annoying to say the least.  

Danny391
Level 2
Essex, Canada

Same here Ontario Canada slow pay here too!! I never received a payment on the way yet, I feel that with slow down Airbnb has had a big loss in revenue and I feel this is there way to keep up the gains with interest made on that money a guest has already paid for at time of booking. I’ve called they said it shows it’s sent and now I have to check with my financial institution for why payment is not there?? What a crock, for my 1 year experience dealing with Airbnb it’s been nothing but a pain in the ass dealing with them  for either payments or run around getting reimburse when a guests does a lot of damage to your place and trying to get paid was nothing but aggravation. Am I the only one or has anyone else experience that?