Airbnb withholding refunds for too long

Paul1837
Level 1
Kula, HI

Airbnb withholding refunds for too long

I booked an apartment and paid $3594.15 and Airbnb took my money within 10 seconds of booking.  About an hour later after making non-refundanble flight and car reservations the host contacted me and said he could not honor the booking but he had a similar unit that was $1000 cheaper.  I told the host to chage my booking to this since it was after midnight my time and I was sleeping.  He said he couldnt do anything so I tried and there is a way to resolve such an issue quickly through the website.  Unfortunately Airbnbs instructions are not correct or it is just too cmplicated to do for us travelers and hosts.  So I was told I had to rebook the new reservation and pay another $2600.  But by this time my credit card was maxed out!! And Airbnb said it would take 15 days to receive my $3594.15 back.  I have been in business and have taken credit cards for over 39 years and I know that refunds go through in 1-2 days. So I will probably lose my booking unless I receive my refund sooner.  The Airbnb help desk has been absolutely no help at all in this matter.  This company thrives on holding other peoples money and that needs to be corrected.  Has anyone else had such a problem??? I wonder if vacation rental by owner does this also.

2 Replies 2
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Paul1837 

Normal procedure is to change the reservation to the other accomodation (but the other one must be from same host and listed on Airbnb). It can be done by the host ( https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/50/as-a-host--how-do-i-make-a-change-to-a-confirmed-reservation) and you would receive the price difference from Airbnb after accepting the change. I feel the host is in error anyway by not able to honour a confirmed reservation. Airbnb should have solved this problems with you within 24 hours !

I would suggest to contact them again about the issue, as i feel you did not get the service you are entitled too. You can also use the feedback to complain: Airbnb Feedback 

If you end up with no reservation at all and also not getting back your money asap, maybe inform your credit company about the issue, as they will not be pleased too with the way Airbnb operates in this.

Best regards,

Emiel

Qier-and-Philippe0
Level 10
Lille, France

Hello @Paul1837 

"The Airbnb Service fee is refundable up to 3 times per year, if the reservation you're canceling doesn't overlap with another reservation in your account. "

I hope you didn't cancel the booking. Since you will book for the same date, you may lose your service fee for the first booking.

If you did cancel the booking,  you should contact Airbnb to clarify the issue. Tell them it is not your fault.