Appeal to Airbnb's final decision

Teresa3
Level 3
Atlanta, GA

Appeal to Airbnb's final decision

We had an ABB guest who is supposed to stay with us for 7 days and wanted to cancel her reservation for the last 3 days after she moved in for four days.  We could not refund her for the remainder 3 days  according to the cancellation policy we published on ABB.  In order to get her refund, the guest made a false claim to ABB saying our internet did not work, and she needed to move out.  ABB refunded her for the 3 days based on what the guest's story.  When we found it out 2 days after, and told ABB that the guest's claim was false, and we have proof for it.  ABB case manager said it was too late, and she already made a final decision to refund the guest based on what the guest said, and we can not change or appeal her decision, and we can not talk to her supervisor either.  She sounded like she has the absolute power to make decisions for me with or without my agreement.  Does anyone know if there is way to appeal for the case manager's wrongful decisions?  

136 Replies 136

Sorry i respectfully disagree with your analysis as you may find this working for you based on where you are located, whether you own the property or paying high rental etc , nature of the complaint and letting case managers hide their wrong descisions and lack of communication by fine print but i clearly dont agree that this works for expensive properties

If i as a host was not given a fair chance to speak with the case manager and also meet even any undesirable demand raised by guestthen its not an extentuating circumstance and the case manager is just trying to side with the complaining guest for an easy way out becasue the guest contacted and complained without knwledge of host and did not want to speak with host (my guest never checked into the propertu).  He complained about something very silly the night before check-in

Every guest can use this loop hole to make up any silly reason and cancel. Totally defeats the purpose of social engineering platform like airbnb where guest does not want to even contact the host and jsut wants to cancel becasue u know why (he has changed his mind and needs a reason to cancel)

@Newport0

I am just a Host telling you how it is, I have no more control of the system than you do. If the system changes then great, we will wait and see, until then it is what it is.

David

System will change when all hosts strongly feel about this , file complaints through different mediums, post reviews on yelp and other social media and push Airbnb to remove this dacorian policy favouring the guest and hiding their mistakes behind the fine print

I would agree if there is a major to moderate issue or f Airbnb made final decision after multiple back and forth between the 2 parties and host not willing to compromise to meet the guest needs  but thats not the case here. in my case there was no evidence of any extentuating circumstance. this case manager says he will cancel if guest is uncomfortable and calls in and he is ok with guest not contacting the host about it. So it can be anything silly and although u may be ready to solve the issue the guest wants/  If people keep quite atleast the ones were the cases that are geniune and let it slide under the rug then nothing is going to change. Change does not come that way in todays world

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

@Newport0

Good luck, you certainly have my support.

David
Michael460
Level 3
Woodinville, WA

And now with the latest offensive update to our policies we are expected to agree to forced arbitration. I loved Airbnb when I started. I hate them now.

Couldn't agree more. I believe we can band together and get things to change for the better. Hosts have to be considered. We're the ones doing the labor and providing the services here!

Ryan238
Level 1
Knoxville, TN

AirBnb will:

1. Not allow owners to appeal final decisions,

2. Not give you any details regarding how the determination was made (simply stating: "we cannot disclose the tools we use during our investigation, but rest assure they are reliable and accurate.").

3. "Discontinue" communications regarding the matter after a final decision has been made, and

4. Possibly disregard supporting documentation for your claim for their own business purposes (see below).

After two claims for damage (approximately $250 and $600), AirBnb clearly favored the guest in both circumstances despite convincing evidence, including an obviously favorable timeline of events, receipts, multiple signed affidavits by witnesses, official estimates, photos, and almost a dozen additional items. AirBnb permitted a guest to cancel four days of their reservation without, in my opinion, reasonable cause, in which case I lost approximately $200. I settled one instance of damage (a $600 hole chewed from my leather couch) directly and amicably with the guest, and AirBnb later used that against me to undermine a subsequent, unrelated claim. The above took place over the course of approximately 3 months this summer.

I understand the need for a policy that favors demand, but I refuse to do business with a company that purports to be an intermediary, a third party, yet unfairly imposes its rules against a particular party for its own purposes (importantly, a party to several agreements between the owner and guest, including the cancellation and damage agreements). This was my experience, and the above includes a few assumptions, but I would not be giving valuable time to write this if my interaction with AirBnb were less than obviously one-sided.

Current and future owners beware: AirBnb will not protect your belongings, even when the evidence is clearly in your favor.

@Ryan238

Any reason you did not go to Arbitration?

David

I'm not sure whether I did or not. A "case manager" asked for numerous pieces of information on two occassions then made a determination. I asked to appeal, but AirBnb responded with the above. Otherwise, I wasn't given the option to arbitrate.

I am in exactly the situation you described. I will not support them any longer and fight how that are treating me, but you're write that if people put up with it, it will likely continue.

If you have any tips towards getting to a fair resolution, I would greatly appreciate hearing from you.

@Kat53

Arbitration?

David

@David126- quite likely.  I'll be calling during business hours tomorrow and seeing where that gets me, then go from there.  I've got about $2k in damages to get covered, plus a pretty solid sense of principles, so I'm not inclined to go quietly away while Airbnb streamrolls me.

I am very open to any ideas, suggestions, tips or advice you might have.  Thanks!

Everything you said is 1000 percent true. If Airbnb can’t get the money from the guest then they have to pay it and we all know they will scrutinize and assess everything to get out of paying what is due. They have violated me at least 5 times!!!

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

They are not going to suggest it. I always wonder why people do not use it, there in the Host Guarantee wording.

David

So if we dont agree with a final decision we can just suggest Arbitrary in the host guranteed guidlines?