Difficult guest

Answered!
Suzanna2
Level 2
São Paulo, Brazil

Difficult guest

Hi,

My very VERY difficult guest just canceled the rest of his stay in my house.

I am about to go there (again...) to check them out and receive my house back (the first time they were not ready yet).

In the meantime, I went to our message thread in Airbnb to ask them to let me know when they would be ready, and surprise: there IS no thread, everything we discussed during the entire experience was deleted. How is that even possible? I don't want to contact them out of Airbnb, but our comunication space is Airbnb is gone! Why did this happen? What shall I do? THANK YOU!

1 Best Answer
Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Suzanna2,

Lovely to meet you.

This does sound rather strange. Have you tried accessing your Dashboard via another browser (such as Chrome or Safari), perhaps also trying to clear your cache. This may help. Otherwise, I would recommend contacting the Support Team directly to discuss this further. Here is a useful Community Guide (created by a host here in the CC), which includes a range of different ways to reach them.

I hope you get this sorted and do let us know if either of the above suggestions work. 🙂

Thanks,

Lizzie 

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

View Best Answer in original post

14 Replies 14
Mike77
Level 10
Bend, OR

I think people should start taking screen-shots of their messages with problem guests.  If AirBnB is going to start deleting messages ... then hosts must start to protect themselves by making digital records of their messages with problem guests.

Mike
AirBnB Treehouse for Rent
https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/7292887

Great idea, Mike.

But do they usyally do this? WHY???

It is so helpful to have everything registered...

City-Limits-Ranch0
Level 10
Watsonville, CA

Try going to History in your PC or laptop and finding the most recent time you had the thread open.  You may find a page with the thread on it and you may be able to print or screen shot it.  At least you will have that.  It may be a glitch or bug, it is not likely deliberate unless your difficult guest is a hacker.

You could also try opening the thread from a different browser or computer.

Do you have emails  and texts that contain all the guest's messages to you?

Kerrin

Hi, thank you so much for your reply.

I tried to find it in the history, but it's gone even from there.

The only emails I have are the ones from them to me, and they dont show the most important information, which is what I wrote.

Also tried clear cache, diferent browser, nothing worked.

Someone is really doing a good job making sure that all of that information is gone.

Anyway, I just hope nothing bad happens, but if it does, I am sure Aibnb will have all of that backed-up somewhere.

Thank you very much!

S.

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Suzanna2,

Lovely to meet you.

This does sound rather strange. Have you tried accessing your Dashboard via another browser (such as Chrome or Safari), perhaps also trying to clear your cache. This may help. Otherwise, I would recommend contacting the Support Team directly to discuss this further. Here is a useful Community Guide (created by a host here in the CC), which includes a range of different ways to reach them.

I hope you get this sorted and do let us know if either of the above suggestions work. 🙂

Thanks,

Lizzie 

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Hi, Lizzy, 

Thank you SO MUCH for your response!

Yes, I have tried to clear cache as well as using other browser: the tread is really GONE.

Scary.

So I did use the link you provided (thank you!) and send them a long email with the whole story.

God know what's going on, but at least now the whole story is registered somewhere.

Thank you so much!

Hi I am a new host, my 6th guest was a nightmare, sent me 70 odd messages in 12 hours, I flagged them and her ... The whole thread has now gone ......I have only her messages as they are in my gmail , but not my responses. I need the whole thread incase this escalates..........This is an absolute nightmare, I am now getting prompts from airbnb to review this guest , but am so worried about retaliation as she was threatening me......It has all been reported, what will airbnb do and where are my messages ?

Thank you for any advice

Katy

Tara39
Level 1
New Delhi, India

I also had a difficult guest.  He contacted the Airbnb Help Centre complaining that I had not responded (which I had), demanding all sorts of information. I had a bad feeling about him, but could not cancel as I had already confirmed the booking and did not want to lose ratings.  He only stayed for 2 nights with his two friends, but he left my apartment in a horrible state, with food everywhere, dirty dishes everywhere, etc., and because of the food left everywhere, my house became invaded by ants, which I am now having problems with!  He arrived at my clean and tidy home and turned it into a dump - and then gave me bad ratings, complaining that there were ants everywhere!!!  I am wondering if Airbnb should start a 'bad guest' page, so hosts can warn other hosts.  The review system is ok, but I think the feedback given privately to Airbnb on guests, should be available for other hosts to see.  Has any else had this experience?  Thanks.

I also have a guest that has been difficult - helps himself to anything he wants in my fridge, including another guest's food;  leaves a mess where he cooks; walks around the house in his robe most of the day; leaves his coat hanging on a chair in the kitchen; is noisy.   We are afraid to say anything because he would give us a bad review when he leaves in another week.  I guess we just have to keep quiet and hope the week goes by faster than the last one did.

I think if there are really bad experiences, that information should be given publicly in reviews, not just privately to Airbnb! I've used the "private" feedback for things like the time we were pretty sure a guest had stolen a $20 item but, because we were going out of town ourselves, did not have time to search thoroughly and verify the allegation before our deposit/review window was up. I wanted it on the record but not public in case it turned out not to be true (it was). Now that reviews are simultaneous there isn't that blackmail fear of the revenge review, so why not be honest?

I am not afraid to leave the individual a bad review. It protects other hosts and might be a wake up call for that individual, especially if it makes it harder to rent in the future. No one should be afraid to tell the truth about a bad guest!

Rhonda170
Level 2
Laurelville, OH

I wonder about the AirBnB Host to Host reviews.  I experienced a very bad guest experience this weekend.  I reviewed their profile, found great reviews but they were the Guests from Hell!  I had to call the Sheriff's office to have them leave.  I refunded all their money and since I couldn't "meet their expectations it would be best if you leave".  They told me they weren't being unreasonable, understatment!

Im surprised of their High rating as good guests.  I care about my ratings, however, I know I will not tolerate  guests like this.

Krysta122
Level 2
West Java, Indonesia

I am currently having an issue with a guest who seems completely unsatisfied with everything.  We had an emergency roof repair which needed to be delt with. Most of the repairs were complete but the final interior work (paint) needed to be done. I contacted the guest and gave them the option to complete when they were in the unit or after their departure.  This communication was before the guest arrived. They chose to have it completed right away. I sent the contractor over and he completed the job in 4 hours. During that time the guest contacted me saying they were considering leaving as the kitchen was not furnished to their liking.  They didn't feel the space met their needs. I apologized and offered to refund 1 night for the inconvenience of the construction.  She then later replied that they were leaving as they weren't comfortable there. At this point the work was completed and the space cleaned. I said okay and happy holidays.  

Then I received a message requesting a refund. I told them we had a strict cancelation policy and that I would be losing business over the holiday season. She now keeps bothering me about a refund. I am completely bewildered as to what to do. Airbnb informed me that there is no violation on my part but this guest continues to message me at 11pm every evening. It feels like harassment at this point.  I tried to communicate and give this guest options. She was not bothered with the repair until she wanted her money back. Her main concern was the kitchen being under furnished.  To be clear we have a table, chairs, all utensils,  dishes, appliances etc. 

So what do I do? Refund her money? I don't feel that it's right. Any help would be appreciated 

Mursy0
Level 2
Washington, DC

I would not refund, especially if they are harassing you every night. Call Airbnb and report them!