Availability settings ./ Trip Length - Bug?

David39
Level 2
St Johns-in-the-Vale, United Kingdom

Availability settings ./ Trip Length - Bug?

Hi there.

A long-running gripe of mine here and I'd welcome thoughts from fellow hosts (or indeed airBnB) about long term solution.

It relates to the availability settings - and how the system interprets what you want.

As an example, let's say Half Term is 10-17 October. I know I can get week-long bookings for Half Term. So I set a Trp Length rule that says, for example, "During 10 October 2019 – 17 October 2019, guests stay for minimum 7 nights. They can only check in on Saturdays."

All nice and easy.

The issue its that a gust could choose to book a three night stay starting on the 9th October - which the rule irritatingly doesn't choose to cover. So then I lose the chance of my week-long booking - which loses both me and AirBnB money.

The only way out of this, my working the system as far as I can see is to block off, say, the 9th, so that no-one could place a booking through it.Or to stretch the trip length start date back in time, to the 8th say, to reduce the likelihood of anyone attempting a booking. 

I appreciate others have raised this and can't see a solution so wonder how other hosts manage the situation?

(From a logic point of view I would think this a very easy 'bug' to solve. The booking system would simply check to see if any of the guests' potential dates are inside the hosts' rule dates, and if they are not allow the booking. Which suggests airBnB are aware of the issue but believe it's  in their interests not to address the issue. I would argue against that thinking: it is far better to get the longer booking than a couple of short ones,  for host and for AirBnB.)

Any help appreciated!

1 Reply 1
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@David39   Another perspective regarding your availability criteria for this range of dates, is how many travelers want to book all 7 days.  If you are certain that booking 7 days is the norm, then I would opt for changing the date range to include a couple of days before.

In my area there are several high profile and sought after dates for large music festivals.  Because the festival attendees must attend three days, I require a three day minimum booking.  I am not sure if there are such market forces in play for your situation.