Background Checks

Matt4212
Level 3
California, United States

Background Checks

Hey all! I’m curious as to what exactly is checked by Airbnb and not checked by Airbnb for a guest. 

Does the check include restraining orders? 

12 Replies 12
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Matt4212  Airbnb keeps what they check a big secret. You should assume they check nothing. Hosts have had guests with warrants out for their arrests, multiple convictions, etc. 

They have actually spent millions of dollars to settle up law suits hush hush where there were rapes at Airbnbs, and other serious crimes, whether perpetrated by the guest or the host.

Airbnb boasts that guests can open an account and book something within minutes. So obviously that doesn't sound like there is any criminal record, restraining order, etc. check.

The only thing Airbnb is really interested in about a guest is whether their payment method is valid.

Matt4212
Level 3

That’s so disheartening to hear. I just hosted a guest unbeknownst to me who was a 2 time restraint order offender. His horrible behavior came out at the end of his stay which caused me to do some research. That’s when I found his history. So, why would Airbnb put the hosts at such risk? I’m thankful that it was me and not someone like my grandma who dealt with this individual.

Mari-Pat1
Level 2
Bedford, PA

I had an instant booking this week. The person who booked is not who stayed. I only know the person's name who stayed because they called me to ask when checkout was because she had just woke. "Check out was 3 minutes ago," I replied. After reviewing security camera, the 3 people had been in and out ALL NIGHT LONG. They treated my lovely space like a hotel. I did more sleuthing and have come to the determination that the profile is complete BS. Airbnb asked me what did I want to do about it.. REALLY? How about VERIFY the people and REMOVE that profile. 

Matt4212
Level 3

I’m sorry that happened to you. Super frustrating. There is so much that needs to be done to protect hosts. It’s funny how the sales push on Airbnb is to instant book without the right education and protection. 

@Matt4212   A US-based profile with verified ID may be run through a background check. But it's easy to book under a fake name. Plus, Airbnb doesn't reveal which accounts have been run through a check and which haven't, so this isn't a service for hosts - it's more for their own risk mitigation. 

As you've learned the hard way, nobody who lists on Airbnb should assume the company is doing anything to protect them. But I'm not aware of a competing platform that vets is customers in any meaningful way.

Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Matt4212 

One glaring deficiency is the fact that the only person required to present ID is the one who booked the listing.

This might not be someone who actually plans to stay.

If a reservation is for four people there should be four IDs on the record.

Clearly Airbnb wouldn’t be in favor of this. It would be inconvenient for people who need to book a party house for 16 guests in less than one minute.

Even if Airbnb is unwilling to require this they could make it easier for hosts to require it.

It wouldn’t have to interfere with the “book in less than one minute” stupidity. The payor could still book instantly and all others would be required to submit Government ID before arrival, and show matching ID before checkin, at the host’s discretion.

@Brian2036  Having the guest name each adult member of their group in order to register them as guests, and then show all IDs upon arrival, seems reasonable. But I'd draw a very hard line between that and requiring everyone to submit an ID digitally before they arrive. The data security implications of that, and the sheer tedium and inconvenience would drive guests away from the platform and into the arms of competitors in droves.

On some level, hosts have to accept that they're in a high-risk business despite the touchy-feely marketing.

Matt4212
Level 3

Thanks for your input Brian. You are right that it is a risk. Here in the states you have to have some sort of ID and usually a credit card hold for any type of rental. My thoughts would be why not here with Airbnb? I think we are the minority in the accountability of people. Also, if things go south the police need a legal name and date of birth to start legal procession. Airbnb will not release date of births to you so it is the responsibility of the host to gather that information for your own safety. 

Helen 744@Matt 4212, I have it as one of my house rules and also a picture of the bookees face . No avatars No sunglasses . If I dont see a clear pic of your face and I cant recognize you on arrival well . Bye. We simply ask for a clearer pic please. We also ask for phone number and name of all adult guests. Most people do not mind but one group went to so much trouble faking ids and acusing us of Identity theft that it became a real pain and we simply hope they do not come back.As for identity theft if you are a real pain it will be noted so we can avoid you in the future.I would not let random strangers in my house without knowing who they are no matter how much they pay.I think in some of the sites people can actually sign a type of short term lease. Airbnb works thru trust but not stupidity.

I dont wait for checkin during covid because that causes too much unecessary interaction and cuts into the time needed to settle guests happily.All the best

Matt4212
Level 3

Thank you Helen! I like your approach. Thanks for sharing about the identity theft fiasco. Cheers!

Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Anonymous 

I agree that a good compromise would be to require everyone to be identified by legal names and inform them that they will be required to present ID at checkin.

People who object to that are probably people most of us would rather not host.

In many countries around the world this is a legal requirement in hotels already.

I have been in some rather unpleasant places where guests are required to explain why they want to stay in a hotel, and I hope we never go that far here.

I have never felt the need to ask anyone for ID but I would like to have them think that I will.