Bad Guests = Too Bad For Hosts

Julieanna0
Level 10
San Antonio, TX

Bad Guests = Too Bad For Hosts

I have been hosting on Airbnb for about 1 year now and just had the unfortunate experience of asking guests to leave my home.  My home was booked for 2 nights this Memorial Day weekend and my house rules are clear; no parties and all guests staying in my home must be mentioned by name in the initial booking as well as their relationship to the person who booked my home.

Long story short, as I have Ring doorbell, I was able to see 4 people entering my home prior to my 3:00 PM checkin time, 5 more people entering my home in the following 2 hours. I tried texting my guest; no response.  I tried calling his phone to inquire as to why there were 9 people in my home instead of 1.  No answer.  At least 7 of the 9 people had backpacks or bags as if they were planning to spend the night.

I called Airbnb and was told that I was within my rights to ask everyone to leave as they had clearly violated my house policies, and because my cancellation policy was moderate I would be paid for 1 night as well as my cleaning fee with no penalty against me for cancelling the reservation.  Airbnb did ask me to wait before taking any action while they tried contacting my guest.  Airbnb wasn’t able to contact my guest either.  

Finally at around 6:00 PM I went over to my house to inquire what was going on as I could not get any response via the app or phone.  I had to BEAT on my front door in order to be heard.  The young man who came to the door was not the person who had booked my home and told me there was no one at my house by my guest’s name.  I was momentarily speechless.  I asked several more times and he continued to deny there was anyone by that name in my home.  Finally I said I was going to have to ask him and everyone in the house to leave.  At this time, the man who had booked my house appeared at the door and I was able to ask him and everyone in my home to leave.

I contacted Airbnb again to let them know that I had asked my guest and all additional people in my home to leave.  At this time I was transferred to a different department within Airbnb and the representative I spoke with, Aysia, questioned me as to whether or not I really would need to clean my home and said Airbnb would not be compensating me for 1 night’s rental fee.  She said, “well, you could have a rule about not wearing shoes in your house and ask everyone to leave because they wore shoes in your home” as if I was the one being completely ridiculous.  I tried to point out that my house rules clearly state no parties and that the names of all guests staying in my home must be mentioned when the person is booking my home.  She told me that “if” I could provide proof that my home needed to be cleaned, Airbnb would compensate me for my cleaning fee.  I told Aysia that I would not be able to return to my home until the following day in order to assess the condition of my home.

What I found when I went back to my home: during the five hours that 9 people were in my home, the bottle of complimentary wine and brownies I leave for my guest(s) had been consumed, both bathrooms/towels had been used, and all beds had been slept in.  The kitchen had been used and trash left.  No one bothered to lock my doors when they left my home, so it was left unlocked overnight and into the next day.

I uploaded the pictures proving that my house would have to be cleaned and again asked Airbnb representative Aysia for 1 night to be compensated as well as the cleaning fee as I would not be able to rent my home out over the weekend to someone else.  Aysia said that because the guests didn’t actually stay in my home overnight she would not be able to credit me for one night.  However, my guest was refunded the entire amount of his stay while I was left unable to rent my home out or recover any loss of income due to HIS violation of my home policies.  I let Aysia know if all 9 guests had slept in my home overnight, I would have been in violation of my City of San Antonio STR permit as only 2 people per bedroom are allowed.  I have 3 bedrooms.  It made no difference.

I am left feeling very unhappy with Airbnb.  In all probability, the guest I had to ask to leave will go on to do this to other hosts as there was no penalty to him whatsoever.  Airbnb has taught this young man that it’s perfectly fine to disrespect a host’s home policy.  If fact, they refunded his whole fee and offered to find another Airbnb house to stay in.  Airbnb has taught me that they don’t care if my house rules are disrespected either.  

When I asked Aysia if the first Airbnb representative who told me I would be compensated for 1 nights stay as well as my cleaning fee could be located, I was told that because I didn’t have anything in writing from this representative, it would not be honored.  I reminded Aysia that the call was recorded, so surely they could listen to it in order to confirm.  Again, I was told no.

I think I am finally understanding why Airbnb is offering $360 for new host referrals.  

Although I asked for a supervisor, I was told a callback would be scheduled. I'm still waiting.......

It also appears that I am unable to upload any images to this post.  I get this message when I attempt to add images, "Your post has been changed because invalid HTML was found in the message body. The invalid HTML has been removed. Please review the message and submit the message when you are satisfied."

Julieanna
5 Replies 5
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

The only thing you have is the ability to flag the booking guest profile and write a thumbs down review.  As to any compensation, I guess like all businesses, you eat the loss.  You would like to think you have other recourse and compensation, but you don't.  I am not sure what Air BNB can really do about the payment to you for a night.  All the guest has to do is protest the charge with his credit card company.  I do think you could go for the cleaning fee which is probably more trouble for you, but ultimately you would prevail.  I have seen other postings about that.  It sucks what happened to you, but kudos for your standing up to the offending guest.

Mike-And-Helen0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

I am interested to know whether airbnb would tell the alternative place why the guests were homeless or just move the problem to another host.

@Mike-And-Helen0  of course, they will not and their next host will face the same problem.

@Julieanna0  Sadly, Airbnb is known to side with guests at the expense of the host. It became a synonym for a "trash party house"  and this is the reason why it is so unpopular neighbor and why short term rentals are banned in so many cities around the globe.

By tolerating and rewarding bad guest's behavior, Airbnb does harm not only to hosts and itself but to other booking platforms and the whole short term rental business in general.

Hi everyone! Hoping someone has some insight on an issue. I have a guest who moved in and from the fourth day has been reporting issues. The problem is these issues aren't fallacies. They have removed the cushions from the patio then complained that they were Dusty and comfortable, they're complaining of no water in the shower faucet to me and then not in the shower heads to Airbnb, all showers and faucets are working 100%, complained of shattered glass throughout the unit when I was there when they moved in and there was none, they said the TV wasn't working  when all  they did was not turn the power on, I have offered for them to leave at no penalty if they have changed their mind but they refuse to leave!

Airbnb is now saying they're going to refund them 20% for each night they remain there in discomfort. 

But they refused to go! Has anyone dealt with this? And how can I approach a solution. I've had a plumber come, I've gone in to put the furniture back together, I've gone into turn the TV on for them. I'm not sure where else to turn and all the while Airbnb only threatens me. Help!

Hi, I am having a similar problem..This is my first time hosting, my daughter does it all the time and has never had any problems. My guests are homeless which I just found out by accident.  My guest told me she was from Mississippi but then I found out she was in the same state as me going from place to place.    She brought a guest and because in her profile she said she was married I just assumed it was her husband as the 2nd person.  On the 1st night they asked to wash clothes they had 4 loads so I explained that because they were staying for 2 weeks they could only use the washer and dryer once a week,  they have literally trashed the bedroom it looks like a tornado went through it, they have taken over my living room, they stay up late with the TV blasting and cussing like sailors, my number one rule is that quiet hours start at 10pm, and they have yet to abide by this rule.  I get up at 3am for work so this has disturbed my sleeping schedule, I have asked them  numerous times to keep the noise down and they just ignore me.  They have food, crumbs and grease stains on both my sofas, I go downstairs in the mornings and they have their shoes, and various article of clothing on the sofas and on the floor, I have gathered up their things and put them outside their door.  2 nights ago the guest that booked the room had a seizure and her sugar was 479, her friend called an ambulance and then she came and knocked on my door to tell me.  I went downstairs and When the paramedics came she lied and told them that she had taken her insulin that morning and when they told her that she needed to get her insulin because she needed to take it immediately she goes up stairs stays to long so I go up and she is standing at the top of the stairs when I asked her where her insulin was she stated that she must have left it at the other Airbnb that’s when I started to put things together, they told her that she had to go with them because if she didn’t go right then , they would only have to come back later and by that time she may be unresponsive, I told her she had to go as I didn’t want to be responsible for something happening to her, she then stated she did not have any money to get back, long story short when I left at 4am she and her friend were just getting back from the emergency room, she told the paramedics that she had not had any insulin in several weeks because she did not have the money to buy any nor her strips and needles .  I have tried to talk to them on numerous occasions and they continue to disrespect my home.  Today, I received a message from Airbnb and they told me that my guests made a complaint against me, they told her I have too many rules and I am harassing them and telling them what to do.  I was shocked to say the least, they asked for a refund. I told the same story to them and I have before and after pictures of the room and I have proof of her emergency room visit, they have 4 more days but I want them out of my house now. I also want to know why Airbnb did not do a more thorough background check, what about our safety I am do done..,