Bad guest experience.

Nancy1235
Level 1
Hapeville, GA

Bad guest experience.

The past two stays I have hosted has been very discouraging. My home is non smoking and clearly listed  as that.

Both these guest have smoked and I have holes burned in my ottoman in the living room. Windows were opened and left that way. The front door was left unlocked. They were spills everywhere. Closet were went into although they are marked private. Just to much to continue. 

Please any tips to help prevent this?

Thank You

6 Replies 6

@Nancy1235  As you're renting out an entire house, there's unfortunately no way to directly police what people do in your home. So you have to establish effective boundaries that work better in your absence.

Closets, rooms, and storage areas that you don't want guests to go through should have a secure lock installed on them. A post-it note does not constitute a lock.

Since having "no smoking" in your default rules hasn't gotten the message across, try being more assertive about this. Indicate in the listing where the nearest place people are permitted to smoke is, and reinforce during the check-in that your house is smoke-free (one host cleverly included NOSMOKING in her wifi password).

Above all, you'll need to have more text and photos in your listing and a more thorough screening process, because it's clear from reviews that your home is suitable for a narrower range of guests than it would appear from the listing. You should make it much more clear that the home is your primary residence, contains your belongings, and features limited storage space and kitchen use. Therefore, your target guests are going to be non-smoking visitors on short stays who travel lightly and don't require kitchen use. It's OK to mention that upfront in the listing, and also to discuss before accepting a Request to make sure that it's an appropriate fit. 

Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

@Nancy1235 ......... what @Anonymous has stated! I back his advise 100%!

Luana130
Level 10
State of Bahia, Brazil

Hi, I would just like to add that you should include a fine on your house rules for smoking, set the amount and have security cameras to back your claim. Did you ask for a refund for the ottoman?

@Luana130  A listed fine might be helpful as a deterrent, but it's important to be aware that in the event of a claim or payment dispute, Airbnb will not charge the guest a fine on your behalf. So  in practice it's just an empty threat.

I also can't recommend indoor security cameras. Guests are not comfortable being under surveillance inside the privately rented space, and if they complain about it to Airbnb, the listing is going to get pulled immediately - even if such cameras are disclosed in the listing. It's a high-sensitivity matter due to all the recent bad press about hosts spying on guests with hidden cameras.

Luana130
Level 10
State of Bahia, Brazil

Hi @Anonymous , I did not mean inside the house. She can put them outside, most people will smoke in the window to try and hide the smell, so if they smoke in the window she will be able to see it (thought the damage to de ottoman should be enogh proof in this case). 

And having the fine on your house rules might help you on a resolution, it is not authomatic but it will help make a case.

@Luana130  You can propose a $1000 fine for snoring if you want; the resolution process is completely unaffected by these things. Unless you have some actual proof that Airbnb has suddenly started enforcing host fines, you're only spreading phony rumours here.

Surveillance cameras in windows, I guess that makes sense if you're at a high risk of burglary via window but if the only point in installing these things is to prevent smoking you're really out to sea.