Bad host behaviour damaging Airbnb

Tobias21
Level 1
Paris, France

Bad host behaviour damaging Airbnb

Hi,

I am a host and a traveller with Airbnb since 2014.

I have hosted over 25 guests and am proud to have an excellent service record.

Recently, after a long search, I booked a trip to Sicily.

The place looked great - and after our booking was accepted, I let my in-laws and friends know that my family and I would be staying there over the summer. They had started to look and make similar plans when, two weeks later, the host for the property contacted us to let us know that the property was actually not available, and asked us - rather rudely - to cancel the reservation.

When I asked the host to cancel, he refused, explaining that it would be free for us to cancel, and that otherwise our money would not be refunded.

I felt this was unfair, but after a long search I realised that Airbnb places a financial penaly on hosts for cancelling (which is logical), but does not offer guests any kind of indemnity for host cancellation. What's more, there was no way for me to contact Airbnb to inform them of poor host behaviour. Airbnb must not care how hosts behave, and even wants to protect bad hosts from having a bad reputation visible to travellers!

As a host within the community, I find this depressing.

I am proud to be an independent house owner and host, and value having guests who take attention in how they interact with hosts and their properties.

In order to secure growth of its own revenues and profits, Airbnb has included large agencies (like the one I recently had to cancel with) who behave badly, and has cut down on customer support. Over time, these bad hosts will give Airbnb a bad name, drive lower prices and attract customers who expect nothing more than cheap accomodation, and become used to poor standards.

I would like to know if other hosts/travellers have had similar experiences, and if you (anyone out there?) have noticed similar closure of channels of communication with Airbnb?

Of course, if Airbnb is reading this, I invite you to contact me and let me know what you are doing about this issue - or indeed if this clearly defined corporate strategy is going to be "reviewed" to return to the older, more transparent and well supported system.

Thanks community.

49 Replies 49

The cancellation option available after we found out how bad the place was, would have refunded one night out of the remaining 4 of our stay. Not sure what you’re defending here but the bottom line is that Airbnb will do nothing against bad hosts -  hosts that don’t fulfill their advertised  promise. 

Hossam, Red Sea Governorate, Egypt

I would like to urge all guests booking via Airbnb to be aware of this host above, 

I became acquainted with Mr. ** through Airbnb having previously booked for 3 days or less at another location (**, not far from ** in Hurghada city) on three separate occasions. 

The listing titled “**” had all the amenities it advertised, including Wi-Fi. The appliances were new and the unit was well kept. Allowing me to give the host a positive review of my stay.

The Host contacted me via WhatsApp informing me that he has a new listing available, located in ** (a location I was then unfamiliar with). Stating the details of the listing and total price including all utilities and amenities, costing 2300 EGP at the time (for monthly rental). Mr. ** expressed how great of a guest I was and would be honored to have me at this location.

Upon living in the unit, I discovered that the photos of the listing were taken specifically to display the apartment in a faltering way, the unit required severe renovations and would sometimes not have water circulation for several days due to a faulty water pump.

• The water heater is very old and taped together

• There was mold in the shower area that was intentionally hidden by a shower mat. Something I discovered during my regular cleaning of the unit

• The washer machine was stabilized by a brick underneath ( which did absolutely nothing to prevent it from dancing around when in use)
  • Mr. Hossam tried to force me to reimburse him for fees deducted by Airbnb.

• He wanted me to personally pay him back fees that the company of Airbnb deducted from the original amount I paid on the app

• The walls were damaged, stove old and unfit for use
  • broken kitchen cabinet as well no doorknobs for the second bedroom.
  • Out of the three A/C provided only one hardly worked, and it was that of the main bedroom
  • Balcony was a complete mess and very damaged
  • Broken light fixtures as well so many other issues
  • Not to mention the random strangers that would come to the door, at late hours of the night due to the lack of building security.

THEN WHEN I GAVE A NEGATIVE OF HIS LISTING

Mr. Hosam was simply upset with my honest review. Having asked me before to ignore my dissatisfaction with the listing, pleading with me to falsify a positive review on his behalf. Stating his financial difficulties and the necessity of these listings remaining book.

• This is why there was a delay in my providing a review immediately( I  waited for 12days). I truly was conflicted, but eventually decided to uphold the values of Airbnb; despite the host's plea.

TO WHICH THE HOST MR. HOSAM  FILES A FAKE DAMAGE CLAIM AGAINST ME, 2hrs AFTER RECEIVING MY NEGATIVE REVIEW, IN HOPES TO FORCE ME TO PAY FOR THE RENOVATIONS HE SHOULD HAVE DONE before MY RESERVATION!

I will try to attach photos of his listing if possible, upon closer look, you will notice this even on the images he has up. ( At least I have unfortunately now after living in the unit)very old and unreliablevery old and unreliablelook at the damages on the interior of the balcony and even interior wall(right upper corner)look at the damages on the interior of the balcony and even interior wall(right upper corner)they had to replace the bathroom door after i insisted since it was just a folded screen (look at the bottom of the door, )they had to replace the bathroom door after i insisted since it was just a folded screen (look at the bottom of the door, )the top two kitchen drawer have no knobs, the left cabinet is missing completely( at first i assumed it was opened to display the interior)the top two kitchen drawer have no knobs, the left cabinet is missing completely( at first i assumed it was opened to display the interior)broken dresser, and look at how dusty and unclean this is.broken dresser, and look at how dusty and unclean this is.he claims there is a private garden, when really it's just a dirt and trashed area that is part of the public neighboring streethe claims there is a private garden, when really it's just a dirt and trashed area that is part of the public neighboring streetthe walls are damaged, and the light fixtures are broken when you see the actual unit below is the image he placed up to hide things( the A/C isn't working)the walls are damaged, and the light fixtures are broken when you see the actual unit below is the image he placed up to hide things( the A/C isn't working)This is how he angels the images, added curtains to hide to damaged wall. Light fixtures are damaged so he hides themThis is how he angels the images, added curtains to hide to damaged wall. Light fixtures are damaged so he hides themthe water heater is worst then this, there was mold in the shower area that is covered by a purple shower mat,and a stone underneath the washer machine to stabilize it (does nothing at all, it still moves like crazy)the water heater is worst then this, there was mold in the shower area that is covered by a purple shower mat,and a stone underneath the washer machine to stabilize it (does nothing at all, it still moves like crazy)

I want to warn everyone to be highly aware and careful of this host, all these existed before my stay, and because of my warning others in my review. He has attempted to make a false damage claim against me, even after leaving me a good review. All because I am warning you'll... so be very careful guys, some of these people are crazy. Take many pictures when you enter a unit if you see any damages or inconsistencies, as well upon leaving just to protect yourself. Also contact the company to inform them, just to be safe.

Airbnb has not required me to pay these claims, but I'm sure will provide the funds to the host via his insurance through AirCover, you need to always protect yourself guys.

Again his name on here is 

** Red Sea Governorate, Egypt

His profile picture is below.

**[Personal details removed in line with the Community Center Guidelines]

I am going through a similar situation right now and don’t know what to do. My niece is going to university in London and was uploaded to go with her. For a week we booked an Airbnb in the City hoping we would have some time to explore. However, my father at 83 feel sick and was admitted in the hospital for 4 nights in the ICU. As his care giver the doctors have advised to stay with him and care for him for a minimum of 2 weeks and if possible take him to SA where medical facilities are better (I am in Tanzania).  After speaking to the Host they have said they can do nothing. I tired to change my reservation for later but the host kept on rejecting saying that it was too close to the date I was going to come. So I adjusted and asked my niece to go stay herself at the Airbnb and now the host is saying she can’t do that even though she was already a guest on the reservation. This is really unfair almost feels like they are taking advantage of a difficult situation and want to make money out of it. Airbnb is not doing anything and this is not just unfair but unethical. If anyone can help I would appreciate it. Thank you 

Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hello @Ayesha45 

I'm sorry to hear about your father. But a little confused as to why you aren't claiming on your travel insurance in this situation.

Your host is correct you cannot expect them to underwrite the cost of you wanting to cancel by altering your dates when they know they are unlikely to get a replacement booking for a last minute cancellation.

However if you added your niece onto the booking and she has her own Airbnb profile, I believe the host would be covered if it was just her who was to stay.  In your situation I would provide the host with a screenshot showing you added your niece onto the booking when you booked and ask if having this security they would consider letting her stay. @Ayesha45 

The host is not taking advantage of you - they are simply upholding the conditions under which you booked. Surely you aren't expecting the host to be out of pocket financially because you had to change your arrangements?

Thank you for your message