Bed Bugs

Leslie69
Level 3
Muskoka, Canada

Bed Bugs

I’m a superhost, 7 years now. I do an amazing job.  I recently stayed as a guest, in a place that I got bitten with bed bugs. The 4th night the bites started showing. Took pictures, went to the pharmacy, and thought it was some kind of allergic reaction. When I got home my boyfriend suggested I leave my bags outside. In all honesty bed bugs never occurred to me. I go to the doctor the next day, yep confirmed. Then I go to clean my belongings and there is a bug on my bag. All documented. Host won’t refund, so I mediate through Airbnb. They offer a 50% refund, then after I ask for the case to be reviewed the new case manager said I would be getting NO refund.

After requesting, I am awaiting to talk to a manager. 

They state it’s because I reported the problem after check out, but I can’t find anything in the policy regarding check out, only ‘within 24 hours of discovering the travel issue’ which I did when I saw the bug on my bag, doctor visit etc. 

I would like any opinons on this, or advice. 

What has happened to Airbnb’s customer service? Honestly I’m appalled as a guest at the inconsistency and as a host.

Certainly health issues should be taken more seriously.

Advice?

15 Replies 15
Carole111
Level 2
Loudon, NH

I am a Superhost and have been struggling with bed bugs for a month. I treated the place, threw out the beds, bought new beds and thought they were gone, then a guest complained. I got an exterminator in and once again thought they were gone. Then I threw out a couch and chair and now they are gone.

Total costs: $4,713.17 including a refunded fee plus lost fees while I treated the apartment. 

The bugs came in with a guest. I now have a monthly check for them which costs $50 a month. It is not cheap a process but can happen to anyone. 

I suggest that if you have the problem TOSS out your furniture, buy bed bug covers for box springs and mattresses AND get service to do a monthly check.  It can happen to you and you don't want to loose $5K fixing the problem!