Blindsided by unreasonable request

Susan1297
Level 2
Westerly, RI

Blindsided by unreasonable request

Hello community,

I'm a host in Austin, TX and I have 100% 5 star reviews from my guests. This last week I hosted a guest who had a booth at the Wellness Expo at SXSW. The day she arrived she checked in and took an Uber to get a bite to eat. Two hours later she messaged me through Airbnb and informed me that she was on her way  back with furniture to store in my house that will be used in her booth. I live in a 2 bedroom/2 bath townhouse with a one car garage. Where did she think she was going to put it?

It was too late to tell her no, so I moved my car out of the garage and told her to store it there. It was left there for 2 days which meant my car was left under shedding trees. I took photos of the furniture. Prior to her arrival in Austin, she wanted to have things shipped here for her booth which was fine. They were smallish items which I leaned against the wall in the garage. 

Finally, a cloth bag of hers got wet and she left it on the bed which transferred dye to the quilt. She tried to get it out but stretched the fabric instead. She checked out this morning and I immediately washed the quilt but the stain is permanent. She also left her dirty clothes on top of a pile of clean blankets in the bathroom closet (it's a private bath for that room but still.... dirty underwear?)

How do I leave a review for her? She was friendly when we did speak but was not at all communicative if I had questions regarding her ETA for arrival or her schedule for SXSW. I messaged her through Airbnb but they went unanswered.  I needed to know because I am in the process of preparing my home for sale. I suppose I could have cancelled the reservation before she arrived but she never would have found another place to stay in Austin for SXSW so I kind of felt obligated to host her. The furniture was the killer for me. She didn't ask, she just told me!

Thoughts please.

2 Replies 2
Ava30
Level 10
Eureka, CA

Hi @Susan1297: It appears you had a rather self centered individual on your hands. Sorry you had to deal with it, been there myself.

A review might read: “ Xxx stayed for xx days as an exhibitor at a local event. Communication was poor, She presumed she could store exhibit equipment in my garage and permanently stained a quilt due to carelessness. I would not be comfortable hosting again. “  3 or less stars on Communication and Cleanliness Thumbs down  Hope this helps. 

Thanks for your input.  I was thinking about how to review her most of the day. I think I came up with a way that's not too harsh. I think she's the type to ask forgiveness when I'm more the type to ask permission. In any case we were not a good host/guest match. After I posted my issue, I went to get in my car and noticed she placed a bunch of empty shipping boxes beside my car in my garage last night or early in the morning even though I had told her where trash removal was located. I had even asked her last night if I could help bring things downstairs because I knew she was leaving very early in the morning. She declined any help. First time I've had a negative experience so I'm a little shell shocked. I've enjoyed all of my guests and have had great feedback. Oh well, I guess not all are going to be a good fit. I still have much to learn.