Blocking a guest from future reservations

Yadira22
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Blocking a guest from future reservations

Hello all,

hope you are well.

i have followed a lot of instructions here for « blocking guests » and for serious issues like letting strangers into our home, leaving the door wide open for hours during the day, etc.  I have reported their profiles, even contacted Airbnb and some are still able to rebook. Any ideas how to do this correctly- and please all mighty programmers at Airbnb are you going to reintroduce the blocking button! 

Mini rant over! 

Thanks in advance.

yadira 🙂 

11 Replies 11

@Yadira22 if you give them a thumbs down/do not recommend when you review them or rate them 3 stars or less then they can't rebook with you using instant book. Are you reviewing them to warn other hosts of their behaviour?

Yadira22
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Rachel177 

i am marking them down and outright stating it if they are terrible for home sharing. But I thought that 4* for guests were “not great at all” similarly to how hosts are penalised by it. Apparently not. 

Thank you for the clarification and have a great day! 🙂

anyone and everyone take this with a grain of salt but I just had a fairly intelligent-sounding CS tell me that Thumbs Up/Down -- Would you host again? actually plays into the guest recommendations NONE at ALLLLLLL.

He said the only way that a guest is blocked from IB is if they are rated 1* (wouldn't say if that was 1* in any category or 1* in all categories)

So, all those 2* & 3* guests that we thought we'd sufficiently warned other hosts against, turns out maybe not so much

Not true. I gave someone 3 stars and answered the AirBnB-prompted question during the review process that asked if I would welcome them back with a 'no', and was surprised to see them try to book a future stay.

When I rejected their request, it adversely affected my stats.

Hana69
Level 2
Rosendale, NY

I've experienced the same problem. I cannot leave them a negative review because their last stay was too long ago and I'm obviously not going to host them again just to give them a bad review. I've called support the past two times they instantbooked (supposedly they shouldn't be able to view my listing at all) to cancel it. Support was helpful and courteous but this is a platform issue that deserves resolution.

Yadira22
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Hana69  we definitely need the “block button” back! Good luck 🙂

Joe527
Level 3
Las Vegas, NV

They told me this blocks guests from messaging or booking you:   You can go to their Profile and click Report This Profile and they are supposedly blocked.  I can't see any details on their profile page after I do that so i assume they cant see mine or my listing.  But it they log out, anyone can see all the listings.    At least they can't book me or message me.

Yadira22
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Joe527 

hope you are well.

i have done this several times and without success.

thanks you for your time and have a great day! 

Yadira 🙂

Without success?  Meaning they can still message you ?  Can you see details on their privacy page?  

Yadira22
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Joe527 

firstly I am so sorry for the late reply the summer months are never holiday time for me... so busy. Thank you for the advice- this worked perfectly. Have a beautiful day and thank you so much! 🙂

Tim406
Level 2
Enola, PA

This workaround for blocking a user is horrible. AirBnB prompts me as a host while rating the guest to answer whether or not I would host this guest in the future.

I answered ‘no’.

That was it. No follow-up, no decision tree to block the guest. Nothing.

Then, much to my surprise, the guest asked to book future dates with me!

I was utterly confused; why had AirBnB allowed this guest to make this inquiry?!!

I was forced to disapprove his request - confident that, since this was not a reservation, but a request, it would not adversely affect my request cancellation percentage (which, prior to this incident, was zero cancellations).

So imagine my further surprise when I learned that my ‘reservation cancellation’ percentage had fallen below 88%!!

But it doesn’t end there.

When I called to clear up my confusion, I was told that the way to block a guest from making future reservations was to report them for something that actually has nothing to do with what occurred.

Clearly, this is a workaround, and not the intended use of this process.

And just as clearly, AirBnB has dropped the ball on a host’s ability to keep undesirable guests from coming back without adversely affecting our status.

This guest broke house rules, was rude, and was frankly, a slob.

I reported him to AirBnB through the rating feature, and he was still allowed to request another stay.

AirBnB needs to fix this. Pronto.