Booking from a third party

Answered!

Booking from a third party

I recently had a guest, whom I referred to as Sasho, as the booking came through under that name.  It was not until the evening that 'Sasho' wrote that his name was Mieko.  As he was from Bulgaria, conversation was very limited!!  Mieko was a lovely chap, who is welcome back anytime.....however I think that there should be something in place from Airbnb to address any uncertainties -  perhaps an additional question on the booking to confirm that the booking is on behalf of another person??

Your advice/response would be appreciated.

Patricia Metcalf

1 Best Answer

The point is that I didn't know that it was Mieko who was booked in and not Sasho.  So having 'no damage recourse' is hardly fair!. However  I will report this to Airbnb as, maybe, they are ignorant of the rules.  Thanks for the information.

Trish M.

View Best Answer in original post

6 Replies 6
Mike-And-Helen0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Patricia2151 it was lucky Mieko was a lovely chap. If he'd caused any damage then you'd have no recourse.

You can report Sasho to airbnb for making a third party booking which is against their rules.

The point is that I didn't know that it was Mieko who was booked in and not Sasho.  So having 'no damage recourse' is hardly fair!. However  I will report this to Airbnb as, maybe, they are ignorant of the rules.  Thanks for the information.

Trish M.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Patricia2151 

third party bookings are prohibited on Airbnb, however, there is catch 22 - Airbnb allows profile photo and profile name to be changed any time so there is no way the host can know if the booker is indeed the person who showed up on the door.

The only way you will know who have the keys to your home is to ask your guest to show you his ID at arrival. In some countries, including Croatia, Italy, etc... this is mandatory, in others, it is not but it is allowed as long as you have it written in your house rules.

Wherever I stayed in the world, camps, hotels, motels, b&b-s...I was always asked to show my ID and I was registered. I don't see any reason and logic why Airbnb hosts shouldn't do the same.

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

@Patricia2151 @Mike-And-Helen0  @Branka-and-Silvia0 I too had a 1 night booking from Sasho, made around 18.20 for the same night. Pre-trip comms made it clear 'Kris' would be staying, not Sasho. I was apprehensive about the booking but reassured by 159 reviews. (He now has 297 in 3 months!) Kris spoke virtually no English on arrival - pre-trip comms must have been done on translation app or came from Sasho. 

Now a recent review has been posted by a recent host who  wrote 'THIS IS WRONG ON SO MANY LEVELS.' I must say all sorts went through my mind about the possible background to this booking.... but I did not want to complain or reject the young man, as he was trying to be a good guest. He even showed me live footage of his mum on Skype! 

Sasho books for many different workers... - What to make of it all? https://www.airbnb.co.uk/users/show/276210377

Mike-And-Helen0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Helen350 @Patricia2151 @Branka-and-Silvia0 I suppose Sasho should be using the airbnb system that is now available for worker bookings.

In a world of people trafficking and  slavery maybe that is why the host reviewed it as morally wrong?

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

@Mike-And-Helen0  Yes, both the things you say occurred to me.....

- I've just thought, from the point of view of Sasho & his workers, his system makes sense, if the account holder can communicate in good English for the pre-trip communication, whereas if these chaps had their own accounts they'd be reliant on translator apps.... (Not sure whether the info I received came from a human or an app!)