Breaking house rules

MaryJane12
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

Breaking house rules

How do i handle people who want to break house rules  i.e. can i use the kitchen?  or come down to living room, sit down and talk ur ear off for 2 hrs?

2 Replies 2
Paul1255
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Hi @MaryJane12  I hope you are well.

I'd say make those rules clear under the house rules section, guests have to agree these before booking- and that makes it easier to enforce and sets guest expectations.

You'll just need to have a polite and clear chat with the guest to explain (or explain again if you've already gone over the rules at check-in)

If a guest asks for kitchen use you can explain that it's not an amenity available to guests on your listing, so they won't be able to make use of it.

Maybe also consider keeping a living space private for yourself so you have somewhere you can relax that is guest-free, I keep my living room private to myself apart from the mornings when I make guests breakfast.

Best wishes

Paul.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@MaryJane12  Although you don't have kitchen use listed as an amenity, you say in your listing description "Guests have access to all areas." So this is rather confusing and I can see where it could be easily misinterpreted. I would change that wording to make it clear that there is no kitchen use (or maybe okay to make a cup of tea or coffee, whatever you allow).

You also say you're a wealth of information about local stuff, so guests might well assume that you are available to sit and chat with them whenever.

I suggest you change the listing info to be more in line with what you'd like as far as guest interaction.

Also I see you host a room for 1 guest only, with private bathroom (I do as well). Yet you list 2 private bathrooms. If you mean this to indicate that you have your own bathroom, that's not how you should list it. List 1 private bathroom, as I assume that you don't want the guests using yours.