Brisbane council permits

Brisbane council permits

Hi everyone,

We have a unit in Brisbane that we would love to host out.  We are doing our research and have so far had the ok from the insurers and the body corporate.  However, the Brisbane City council requires us to apply for a "short term accommodation permit"as it is not a "home based business". This permit will cost approxiamtely $5000!  And the council have requested that we get a town planner to draw up the application.  Our question is....is there anyway around this? 

54 Replies 54

Hi Donna, I can't see what happened to you. Can you elaborate please?

Please disregard that, I found it and am reading it now.

Yes plus another $7000 on top of that for Town Planner  and Certifier (didn't even get to use the certifier - as didn't even get to this stage of the DA.)  The Compliance Officer from Council will close you down, as he did me - if there is a complaint.  My complaint was internal,  my cleaner apparently, as I had to cut down her hours.  So be careful.

Donna27
Level 2
Oxley, Australia

Hi Airbnb Hosts,  PLEASE BEWARE

I started Airbnb here in Brisbane in 2013, gradually adding more rooms and renovating my home to meet the needs of guests (spending $300 000).  In 2016, I rang the council, as I wanted to register myself as a business, comply with fire safety, and to make sure my insurances were legal etc.

I was in shock after this conversation with the councillor, as he said that Airbnb was illegal here in Brisbane and that they would come out, the following week and probably shut me down.

Cutting a long story short, they did not come until the following year, after an internal complaint, as I was then sourcing my guests through Gumtree and did eventually go back onto Airbnb. (at times I had to evict - as they were usually unsavourable tenants), and some of them knew about the council thing.  In short, they complained to the council about me using Airbnb as an advertising platform.

The council arrived with the Firemen and could see that, I complied, ran a neat, clean and well-organised Airbnb.  But my choices were to either close down or put in a Development Application with the Council. (If you are thinking of doing this good luck.)  I spend nearly $15 000 doing this and took nearly 12 months of fighting, writng to Lord Mayor etc - as I was deperate.  I only got as far as the Town Planning stage...I am 3 minutes walk to shopping centre and buses that go every 10 mins to city.  This is not good enough as you have to be near a University and  a Working hospital etc.  I  am in a low-density suburb - so overall my chances was extremely poor at getting this through.  I did not evern get to the certification stage.

The council closed me down at the beginning of the year and I had to sign a statutory declaration stating that I would never do Airbnb again. 

I have written to Airbnb without any support.  Now I see that they are adverting for Hosts on TV. 

I am contemplating - going to air on Current Affair about what has happened to me.

Let me know your thoughts.

Donna

Hi Donna, Do you not live in the property?  As if you do I don't see how you aren't classifed as a Home based business. I guess what I am now confused with is have all these properties paid the $5k fee that you see on Airbnb 'whole apartment/house' section.  I highly doubt it!  Is Airbnb promoting something that basically isn't legal in Brisbane and surrounds?

Hi Maxine,

Yes I live in the property and did  look at the Home based business but according to the Council  this is not relevant to Airbnb.  Airbnb is classified as short-term accommodation and for this you need to put in a Development Application - which I did, but was unsuccessful.  You need a town planner, certifier etc - like I said it cost me around $15 000, except for the installation of fire alarms, I have lost most of this money. 

Yes Airbnb is operating illegally in Brisbane and the Councillor told me that he is busy closing down Airbnbs, in Brisbane like me.

I have written my grievances to Airbnb several times - but they are wiping their hands.  I even suggested that they talk to the BCC - but of course this did not happen.

Donna this is awful. Sorry this has happened to you. 

"I had to sign a statutory declaration stating that I would never do Airbnb again. "

If the stat. dec. refers to only airbnb the solution would be to use another platform, or go back to Gumtree?

Hi Donna,

We recently recieved a letter from Council stated similar situation.

I see your profile to mention to downsize to "8 room to 4".  Council allow you to operate with less people?

We are trying to solve out about the development approval (permit) or should it easier to reduce the number guests in airbnb.

Any suggestion will help.

Thanks,

Albert 

Hi Albert,

If there are two of you, you will be allowed 3 long-term tenants.  But not Airbnb, as this is classified as short-term.  You will need to put in a DA with the Council if you want short-term tenants, but they will still disallow you to use Airbnb as an advertising platform, even if you only have one or two guests.

Jennie0
Level 2
Brisbane, Australia

Hi everyone, I'm coming in a little late to this conversation but I'm wondering if the problem has something to do with the maximum number of guests that the 'home based business' self-assessment tool refers to? There are a number of factors in addition to the requirement that the primary resident live onsite, and I seem to recall that there was a maximum number of guests to qualify for home based business.

Alexandra675
Level 1
Queensland, Australia

Hi, I’ve just got the letter from council and I’m not sure what to do . 

Alexandra, did you get a show cause notice from Council? 

How did you respond or handle the situation?

Council issues show cause notices if they believe the property is being used illegally e.g. a use not compliant with the Planning Scheme.

Daniel

Hi Daniel, 

was wondering how I would go about contacting you, looking for a little advice on a way forward, and then some town planning services potentially. 

Regards

Trenton

Hi Sorry @Daniel2433 forgot to tag you in my last comment, how would I get in contact with you?