Can hosts enter unit with a prospective client?

Joseph-Ryan0
Level 2
Las Vegas, NV

Can hosts enter unit with a prospective client?

Hello. I am staying in a condo unit for 26 days in the Philippines. The host notified me today that she and a buyer will enter the unit (she didn’t ask, she told me directly) tomorrow. I don’t want other people to come into the unit. If it was just the host, that’s fine, but with a third party coming in, I feel like it’s an invasion of privacy.

5 Replies 5
Monika64
Level 10
New York, NY

@Joseph-Ryan0  Wow! She certainly didn't handle the matter in a correct way. If she put her unit on the market she should have notified you immediatelly that there might be "showings" while you stayed there and ask you if you'd be comfortable with them. If not so she should have NOT arrange a viewing. 

The fact that even now she didn't ASK you but just NOTIFIED you is really not right. Each person has a different limit for their privacy and clearly yours isn't allined with hers. If you don't feel comfortable with this I'd advise you to contact her immediatelly and ask her politely to reschedule the viewing after you have checked out (or allow you to be there if that would work for you). If she refuses and you really do not feel you can allow it you should contact Airbnb and let them know you didn't agree to this when you made your booking. 

Again, this might be perfectly normal for some people, each of us is different when it comes to our privacy ... but for me personally she should have handled this in a more professional way. 

Hope this help!

@Monika64 

Thanks for the response. I am mainly looking to see if Airbnb allows this type of activity by the host during my stay. I am on vacation, and I do not want to be in the unit just because she wants to show the unit to another person. I should be spending my time how I want to, and not take up any of my time just to accommodate her wishes. If she wanted to sell the unit and show it to others, she shouldn’t have listed it on Airbnb. I am concerned that if any item is stolen from the unit, she won’t reimburse me for it.

Monika64
Level 10
New York, NY

@Joseph-Ryan0  A quick search didn't show up any rules on the Airbnb website,sorry  ... this is such a specific case I wouldn't think there are rules in place. I certainly think (as a host myself) that I would not want to put my guests in this situation.

You are correct that you should spend your time as you wish on your vacation. Also, getting reimbursement for missing items would be far more complicated later and dealing with this situation now. I think you should ask Airbnb for help immediately (at least trough a text as I don't think you can directly call them from the Philippines) and see if they could ask your host to postpone her viewing. 

Not sure if any of the other hosts here (so many of them a lot more experienced than myself) would know about a rule when it comes to guest privacy. On one hand, it is her condo. On the other hand she should absolutely respect your privacy.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Joseph-Ryan0  This is entirely unacceptable. Message the host (keep all your communication with her on the Airbnb messaging system, so there is a record for them to look at), saying that you booked an entire place because you wanted  privacy and that it is unacceptable for her to enter at all while you are staying there without 24 hours notice, and only for emergency reasons (or for cleaning or maintenance, if  that was stated when you booked), and that it is also completely unacceptable for her to show the place for the duration of your booking, as she did not make any mention of this in her listing or before your arrival. If she ignores this, or gets belligerent, contact Airbnb immediately. If she responds by text or phone call, do not answer, respond through the messaging, saying you wish to keep all communication through Airbnb.

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

I probably would have handled the notice differently “Joseph, I have buyer that I need to bring by the house, we’ll just be 5/7 minutes and you don’t need to do anything to prepare, do you have a preference when you’d like us to stop by?” and then I’d bring a food or beverage gift. 

A guest has the right to not be surprised but the world doesn’t stop turning and things may need to happen at the house in a 26 day booking