Cancellation policy & guest review

Bouakham-and-Henri0
Level 2
Louangphrabang (Luang Prabang), Laos

Cancellation policy & guest review

Hi,

I have a guest with a booking made 3 weeks before arrival and then guest ask me to cancel 4 days before arrival. The cancellation policy is setup strict. So, the guest just loose all (in my case $39, not a big deal).

Now, the host is upset and send me stupid message, that I stole her and i am a bad person, blablabla... She did not cancel and just don't show up. So obviously she will give me a bad review and I work hard to ensure every body is happy and so I can get my super host status.

What should I do to avoid a review of a guest who did not show up, is upset and want a refund?

Thanks for your advice.

Henri

18 Replies 18
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

1. If your guest didn't stay they can't review you.

2. Direct your guest to contact BNB regarding cancellations. It is not up to you to deal with this issue.

3. Contact BNB and let them know what happened . Tell them the guest didn't cancel, just didn't turn up and now wants a refund.

Bouakham-and-Henri0
Level 2

Hi Helen,

Thank you for your concern.

How airbnb know that the guest did not show up? Is there somewhere I can click to inform Airbnb?

I indeed told my guest to contact airbnb regarding her cancellation.

Who can I contact? Is there an email for this?

Thanks.

Hello @Bouakham-and-Henri0,

To find contact information for Airbnb you can use the "Search for anything" box on this forum and search for "contact airbnb".

One of the results is "Contact Airbnb: A Community Help Guide".

Steve.

Bouakham-and-Henri0
Level 2

Thank you.

Bouakham-and-Henri0
Level 2

Hi Helen,

What make you so sure saying if guests di not stay they cannot leave a review? In my case, it is a no show, she did not come to my place as you can see on the messages. How can I do to contact airbnb regarding this trouble?

Really appreciate your help.

Thanks. Henri

Dede0
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Bouakham-and-Henri0 Both of your messages are a bit incomplete/confusing. You mention that the guest asked you to cancel, then you mention that the guest "lose all", b ut you never said if the booking was actually canceled. Or, if so, whether you canceled (I hope not!) or the guest canceled.

If the guest canceled, which is what I'm assuming, that's how AirBnB will know thata they never arrived, and, thus, won't be able to leave a review. (If *you* canceled, the guest would've received their money back -- and therefore wouldn't be complaining to you -- and your listing would have been "punished" by AirBnB.)

Bouakham-and-Henri0
Level 2

Hi Dede,

Thanks.

The guest told me he will not be able to come and this, 3 days before arriving but he did not cancel the booking and I did not cancel the booking. Now she is upset because she loose her money. 

So the booking was never cancelled, just a no show. Now she will be able to review me eventhough she never come to my place.

Do you understand my point?

Hello @Bouakham-and-Henri0

Yes that's clear. Now you have BNB's contact details give them a call. Explain to them that your guest wanted to cancel and you advised her to do so, but she didn't.

Tell them she is now sending you rude messages and harrassing you because she wants a refund.

Message your guest via BNB (I hope all your contact was via their messaging system). Reiterate that you are sorry that she couldn't make her trip and in line with your previous conversations, that she needs to liaise with BNB regarding this situation.

Good luck.

She can leave a review but if she does and says anything out of place contact ABB and have it taken down.

Hopefully all the conservations have been through the system.

You can also flag here for abuse.

David
Bouakham-and-Henri0
Level 2

Hi David,

I am just trying to contact airbnb but it seems just impossible. No email to send to, no account manager, nothing, just this forum...

Bouakham-and-Henri0
Level 2

Hi Helen,

Do you have BNB's contact detail? I can't find a way to contact them. Going through different reading on this forum, it looks like the expert comunity only can help through this forum.

Of course all the conversation was through airbnb system and if you want want some reading here you go.

Hi Elena, I am sorry you take it that way, really. I cannot cancel for you. I did it once and I lost my superhost status. Did you get a reply from airbnb regarding your cancellation? Please let me know. Thanks. Henri
Today at 2:00 PM

REMINDER - LEAVE A REVIEW

All reviews I have read have stated it would take 12 hours to take a bus to laos. I have spoken with many others since then and did further research with different forums and it takes about 24 hours to get there. My goal was not to be sitting on a bus the entire day of my birthday. So I've been trying to plan getting to this place in the most timely fashion possible. Unfortunately I'm not made of money and I simply wanted to treat myself for the day but because I'm losing so much money I will no longer be treating myself what so ever. I also cannot afford to spend $200 to fly to laos. I will be discussing this case with airbnb dispute. There is only so much I can do as well and teleporting is not something I can do. I know for a fact that there is not "nothing you can do" so that is a bold faced Lie. You have the day you deserve sir.
Last Tuesday at 9:34 AM

Good morning Elena, I can accommodate you today, tomorrow, after tomorrow but not from the 16th onward. You have booked the room with instant booking and the cancellation policy is strict. It means no refund or 50% up to 1 week ahead. The good thing with airbnb is that you can talk to the host before booking in case you are not sure of your dates. You choose to book with instant booking, therefore no discussion. We are on Christmas holiday so if you are not sure of your date arriving to Luang Prabang I would suggest to book on last minute. The price is set at $39 so you will be charge $39. In case you would like a refund you can discuss with airbnb dispute. I am really sorry about that but there is nothing I can do. Please try to come. Have a good day. Henri
Last Tuesday at 8:27 AM

Thanks for ruining my night, and for robbing me on my birthday I hope the retrograde treats you with what you deserve
Dec 12, 2016

Also you specifically said to me I would be booked $39
Dec 12, 2016

I forgot about your ridiculously strict cancellation fees for 50% of your money back
Dec 12, 2016

You can't even accommodate me to stay a different day through out the week?
Dec 12, 2016

You're just going to rob me?
Dec 12, 2016

How far in advance would I have to have in order to receive a refund? That is preposterous.
Dec 12, 2016

Hi Elena, I am very sorry to hear that but unfortunately I cannot waive the fee as it is three days before arrival. However you can book a flight and arrive on time if you wish. Please let me know. Thanks. Henri.
Dec 12, 2016

Aww that is very unfortunate 😞 will I still be able to receive a refund for the day I booked?
Dec 12, 2016

Hello Elena, Unfortunately we are fully booked From the 16th onward. Thank you.
Dec 12, 2016

Hello! So after doing more research about traveling to Luang Prabang from Chiang rai it's gong to take us more time than I expected I don't know if we will be able to make it until the 16th of December � is the anyway we can reschedule our reservation from the 15 to the 16th?
Dec 12, 2016

Ahh so there is an airport in Luang Prabang? Good to know. My friend also doesn't want to fly so she can save money but I will be looking into flights today and I will let you know! Thank you so much!
Dec 5, 2016

Hi Elena, The third accomodation is a couch / sofa bed in the living room. Let us know if you need a transfer from the airport. Thank you Henri
Dec 5, 2016

As much as I would love to my friends are only willing to contribute that much the day of my birthday � thank you for getting back to me! And congratulations on you're newborn baby � I was also wondering if there was a pull out couch or if the 3rd accommodation is simply the couch itself?
Dec 5, 2016

Hi Elena, I am sorry for this late reply but we have been busy the past few days with our new baby born. The rate is given by airbnb on smart pricing basis. You have booked this night at 39$, would you like to book an extra night with the same rate? Let me know. Thanks Henri
Dec 4, 2016

BOOKING CONFIRMED 12/04/2016
RESERVATION CONFIRMED 12/04/2016
ELENA’S INQUIRY 12/04/2016

Also I'm wondering if it's possible to rent the place at $40 a night because I saw your second listing that is $40 a night? I know it's not much but my friends and I will be traveling for quite some time and would like to save as much as we can! We will be staying here for my birthday which is really the only reason I will be able to get them to pay even that much.
Dec 4, 2016

How to contact AirBnB has already been mentioned, I looked at your listing and could not see any review by her, you can not force people to cancel.

Her sense of entitlement is impressive but I assume she no showed so there is nothing really to do.

David
Bouakham-and-Henri0
Level 2

Hi David,

Yes because I did not write myself a review, I still have 1 week before it appears. This is what she wrote me last night.

You have reported this message. Hide Message or Undo?
No worries money is money I will just have to leave you a negative review as it is all I have experienced with you
Yesterday at 6:34 PM

So I guess all they can do is the same as I've already done
Yesterday at 6:33 PM

They said I would have to request a refund from you personally
Yesterday at 6:33 PM

If Elena did not cancel then she can review and so can you. I would keep it simple and just say that she was unable to stay with you.

She may not leave a review, if she does and it is weird then you can ask ABB to delete it, and usually you can also respond. Just keep it simple, she did not stay with you.

David