Cancellations

Bentwood0
Level 1
Lubbock, TX

Cancellations

Hello!

A prospect had called about a booking that was telling them was declined, which was not, and we had resolved it over the phone.

After alerting her that the booking was good and confirmed we hung up the phone thinking we were good to go. She called back a few minutes later and notified me that she had found another place and was going to cancel. Our cancel policy is dependable on if you choose the 'refundable or the non-refundable option' I am unsure which one was selected upon booking. I explained that but she requested a full refund and put that I was "not helpful". I don't believe her request should be approved since she knew the booking was confirmed and then still proceeded to get another booking. I have not accepted nor declined the request but I am unsure what would be the most logical thing to do. Am I wrong for not wanting to accept the full refund amount?

3 Replies 3
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Bentwood0 

Never approve a cancellation request sent by a guest !

The guest need to cancel herself and not sent you a cancel request.

If you accept such a cancellation, not only full refund is given to the guest, but also you will be penalized by Airbnb, not able to rebook the place for the cancelled dates and you receive a fine !

I didn't approve the cancellation, she cancelled herself but called me and asked how to cancel. I did not know how so I let her know that. She requested a full refund. That is what I did not accept. But I did not know how I should proceed.

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Bentwood0,

You mentioned your rate types, refundable and non-refundable.  If the guest book a non-refundable rate, then she isn't entitled to any refund under any circumstance, unless it is an approved extenuating circumstance.  However, you do have a flexible cancellation policy for those guests who choose to pay the regular rate.  Since you received a refund request, it appears that the guest selected the non-refundable rate, and you were within your rights to refuse the refund request.  If she had paid the full rate, you would have only received a cancellation notice.